• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Midland Red Bus Routes

What was the route of the 42 from New Oscott to Erdington?
Bob
College Road by the Monastry, down the road past the Crossways, left at the island toward Six Ways Erdington, and that was the terminus, then round the island, and back down the road to the island, right past the old cinema, and up to the top by the monastry. Short & sweet. The 42E was something else............

College Road by the Monastry, down the road past the Crossways, left at the island toward Six Ways Erdington, and that was the terminus, then round the island, and back down the road to the island, right past the old cinema, and up to the top by the monastry. Short & sweet. The 42E was something else............

I'm confused by those directions. Coming from town, by the time the 42 reached St. Mary's College (a seminary rather than a monastery) it would have already passed the Crossways pub. After WMPTE extended the route from the top of Collage Road to Six Ways, the bus turned right onto the Chester Road (where the 107 (to Sutton) and 113 (to Streetly) turned left) and headed into Erdington. I can't help with the route as I always got off at the college and, as this is the Midland Red forum perhaps we shouldn't be talking about what was a corporation bus route!

I'm confused by those directions. Coming from town, by the time the 42 reached St. Mary's College (a seminary rather than a monastery) it would have already passed the Crossways pub. After WMPTE extended the route from the top of Collage Road to Six Ways, the bus turned right onto the Chester Road (where the 107 (to Sutton) and 113 (to Streetly) turned left) and headed into Erdington. I can't help with the route as I always got off at the college and, as this is the Midland Red forum perhaps we shouldn't be talking about what was a corporation bus rout

I'm confused by those directions. Coming from town, by the time the 42 reached St. Mary's College (a seminary rather than a monastery) it would have already passed the Crossways pub. After WMPTE extended the route from the top of Collage Road to Six Ways, the bus turned right onto the Chester Road (where the 107 (to Sutton) and 113 (to Streetly) turned left) and headed into Erdington. I can't help with the route as I always got off at the college and, as this is the Midland Red forum perhaps we shouldn't be talking about what was a corporation bus route!
Ok, here we are back in the seventies. The days when the 42 traveled along College Road, Erdington bound, from the the top of College Road ( by the Seminary.....) As we travel, over on the right across the duel carriageway, was The Mayfair Cinema. We carry on until the Ridgeway, where we take a left. straight on, joining Marsh Hill, which back then became Resevoir Road, and the terminus. Hope this is a bit clearer. The terminus was Six Ways Erdington. Thanks.

I was brought up in Sutton and attended Town School, right by all the bus stops, from 1957 to 1963. In those days they were:

100 Birmingham - Erdington - Chester Road - Sutton - Mere Green - White Farm Road
101 Birmingham - Erdington - Chester Road - Sutton - Mere Green - Four Oaks church - Streetly
102 Birmingham - Erdington - Chester Road - Sutton - Mere Green - Hill Hook Road
103 Birmingham - Erdington - Chester Road - Sutton - Mere Green - Roughley
104 Birmingham - Erdington - Chester Road - Sutton - Mere Green - Little Aston - Brownhills - Cannock
105 Birmingham - Erdington - Chester Road - Walmley - Anvil Inn - Reddicap Heath - Good Hope - Sutton
(rush hours only, in between it only ran Chester Road to Sutton as S65)
107 Birmingham - Birchfield Road - Perry Barr - New Oscott - Boldmere (Park Hotel) - Sutton
108 Birmingham - Erdington - Chester Road - Sutton (rush hours only)
110 Birmingham - Erdington - Chester Road - Sutton - Good Hope - Whitehouse Common - Tamworth
111 At some point in the 1960s, there was a reorganisation, and the 111 was created from the 101 (above) and the S62. It ran: Birmingham - Erdington - Chester Road - Sutton - Mere Green - Streetly - Banners Gate - New Oscott - Boldmere - Sutton
112 Birmingham - Erdington - Chester Road - Sutton - Mere Green - Lichfield - Burton on Trent
113 Birmingham - Birchfield Road - Perry Barr - New Oscott - Banners Gate - Parson and Clerk - Hardwick Arms
114 Birmingham - Kingsbury Road - Pype Hayes - Walmley - Anvil Inn - Falcon Lodge - Good Hope - Sutton
115 Sutton - Mere Green - Four Oaks church - Streetly - Foley Arms - Sutton Road - Walsall (rush hours only, joint with Walsall corporation)
116 Birmingham - Kingsbury Road - Tyburn - Minworth - Curdworth - Kingsbury - Fazeley - Tamworth
117 Sutton - Boldmere - New Oscott - Banners Gate - Foley Arms - Sutton Road - Walsall (rush hours only, joint with Walsall corporation)
118 Birmingham - Birchfield Road - Perry Barr - Great Barr (Scott Arms) - Walsall

I think one of the vacant numbers 109 and 119, can't remember which, was used for services to Canwell for the Canwell Show. Then of course there were all the Sutton local services with numbers from S58 to S76.

Think that's right, I'm open to correction.

I was brought up in Sutton and attended Town School, right by all the bus stops, from 1957 to 1963. In those days they were:

100 Birmingham - Erdington - Chester Road - Sutton - Mere Green - White Farm Road
101 Birmingham - Erdington - Chester Road - Sutton - Mere Green - Four Oaks church - Streetly
102 Birmingham - Erdington - Chester Road - Sutton - Mere Green - Hill Hook Road
104 Birmingham - Erdington - Chester Road - Sutton - Mere Green - Little Aston - Brownhills - Cannock
105 Birmingham - Erdington - Chester Road - Walmley - Anvil Inn - Reddicap Heath - Good Hope - Sutton
107 Birmingham - Birchfield Road - Perry Barr - New Oscott - Boldmere (Park Hotel) - Sutton
110 Birmingham - Erdington - Chester Road - Sutton - Good Hope - Whitehouse Common - Tamworth
111 At some point in the 1960s, there was a reorganisation, and the 111 was created from the 101 (above) and the S62. It ran: Birmingham - Erdington - Chester Road - Sutton - Mere Green - Streetly - Banners Gate - New Oscott - Boldmere - Sutton
112 Birmingham - Erdington - Chester Road - Sutton - Mere Green - Lichfield - Burton on Trent
113 Birmingham - Birchfield Road - Perry Barr - New Oscott - Banners Gate - Parson and Clerk - Hardwick Arms
114 Birmingham - Kingsbury Road - Pype Hayes - Walmley - Anvil Inn - Falcon Lodge - Good Hope - Sutton
115 Sutton - Mere Green - Four Oaks church - Streetly - Foley Arms - Sutton Road - Walsall (rush hours only, joint with Walsall corporation)
116 Birmingham - Kingsbury Road - Tyburn - Minworth - Curdworth - Kingsbury - Fazeley - Tamworth
117 Sutton - Boldmere - New Oscott - Banners Gate - Foley Arms - Sutton Road - Walsall (rush hours only, joint with Walsall corporation)
118 Birmingham - Birchfield Road - Perry Barr - Great Barr (Scott Arms) - Walsall

I think one of the vacant numbers 109 and 119, can't remember which, was used for services to Canwell for the Canwell Show. Then of course there were all the Sutton local services with numbers from S58 to S76.

Excellent, thank you. I worked all of these. My wife went to school.

Excellent, thank you. I worked all of these. My wife went to school.
Hi, Gerry here. Just a few points. As I said I worked all of the above EXCEPT the Cannock service, that you have as a 104. This was not worked by me during my first job at Sutton, 1957 to 1959. The other service that I did work was the 119, Birmingham, Perry Barr, Great Barr (Scott Arms) and the X-12, Birmingham Main Road via Sutton & Lichfield and Burton-On-Trent to Derby. Thank you so much for this. Gerry.

The X99, was operated by Tamworth garage. I do not remember it running through Sutton, I think it ran Birmingham/Tamworth/Ashby/Nottingham.
Have just dug out my 1964 timetable book. The X99 and the 110 went the same route from Birmingham to Tamworth via Sutton with the X99 continuing on to Nottingham. I did that journey once with a five shilling Child's Anywhere Ticket in the days when I travelled all over the Midlands by Midland Red. Amazing number of different bus companies in those days in Nottingham.

Thank you for this,109 was Birmingham, new oscott terminating at Boldmêre, been trying to recall these routed and numbers for ages
Bob

Thank you for this,109 was Birmingham, new oscott terminating at Boldmêre, been trying to recall these routed and numbers for ages
Bob
Again looking at my 1964 timetable there were only a few services showing 109
From Sutton to Perry Barr Saturdays at 1.53pm, 2.53pm, 3.53pm, 4.53pm & 5.53pm and every day at 10.45pm. Services from Perry Barr to Sutton are shown as 107 not 109
From Boldmere to Birmingham High Street (NOTE not Bus Station) at 5.53pm

Again looking at my 1964 timetable there were only a few services showing 109
From Sutton to Perry Barr Saturdays at 1.53pm, 2.53pm, 3.53pm, 4.53pm & 5.53pm and every day at 10.45pm. Services from Perry Barr to Sutton are shown as 107 not 109
From Boldmere to Birmingham High Street (NOTE not Bus Station) at 5.53pm
Yes David it was an erratic service and occasionally between the Crossways and New Oscott a half empty 107 could become a 109, with passengers for Sutton being asked to debus at the Beggars Bush and catch the bus behind. I travelled the 107 from New Oscott to Sutton from 1947 to 1952. My travels started on pre warr REDDs,through HHA Guys into the first of the post war D1s.
Bob

I have been racking my brains trying to remember the BMMO routes from Sutton to Birmingham and Sutton Surburban services. I remember S67, S76 to Six Ways from the Beggars bush via Court Lane & Goosemoore Lane respectively, same bus everyhalf hour alternate journeys and the S73 which ran down Chester Road to the Yenton, then went to Boldmere, came back and went back to either New Oscott or Parson & Clerk. The 107, 109 & 113 were old friends as they all went through New Oscott. 110, 112 were for Lichfield and Tamworth, not quite sure which was which and the X99 in the single deck red roofed GHAs was also a regular school holiday trip. S73 to the Yenton and then the X99, but coming back as the S73, S76 and S67 finished at 8.00 pm, sometimes meant a journey on to either six ways for the 11 and 5a or Aston Cross for the 3x Tram and the 5a. I wonder how many 13 to 15 year olds with nothing to do in August would do that now? However point of enquiry what were the destinations for the 101 to 106, 108. was there a 111? and thro to 117 (I travelled 118 & 119 regularly). E'en as I make this pitiful plea, I know that someone has what I do not have in my Midland Onibus collection the route details. People writing about the Midland Red never put rote details in the books.
Bob
As a child I always thought Midland Red buses were the most exciting. I lived in Saltley and could get onto a Midland Red bus to Coleshill where we used to go to swim in the river. But when we moved to Willenhall in the Blackcountry, I travelled every morning from Walsall to catch the No8 Birmingham bus to Bordesley green where I went to school. The buses from Walsall to Aston cross I think, were all very ancient. You entered at the front and a leather strap lead across the ceiling which when pulled rang a bell for the driver to stop at a bus stop. Sometimes the Walsall to Birmingham red bus would simply break down, one once even caught fire although just smoke and no flames as such. I‘d love to see a picture of one of those ancient Midland Red buses. They must have been withdrawn many years ago but they were operating in the fifties.

This site has been pointed out to me:

It contains scans of a number of bus and rail timetables. t present it does not include any for Birmingham Corporation, but does have one for Midland Red Birminmghham area for june 1970, and other midland red ones for other areas. Some of the rail timeetables inlcude birmingham. there are also scans of various rail maps.

As I mentioned before, I was at Sutton garage as a driver in the seventies. the 105 was a listed turn. I remember doing that service on a scorching hot day in 1976, in a "D-9" the bus windows all open, my cab windows all open, including the big one over the engine, and it was so hot, with standing loads from Sutton to The Yenton every trip; not a cat in hells chance of keeping to time, every stop was made, and it was great to hand over at South Parade.....Happy days though, I loved my time with the "Midland ReD". Pictured the cab of a "D-9".
Gerry what happened at Sutton why did the garage close?

WMPTE/Travel West Midlands rationalised the BCT and Midland Red garages that they took over. The 'out of area' bus routes that used to operate out of Sutton were taken over by Midland Red North who operated them from the ex Midland Red garages in their operating area.

I don't even know where the garages are these days mate. Back in my day, we had Sutton & Lichfield depots (Lichfield depot can still be seen, but is a council yard) Tamworth of course. The WMPTE depots that I visited were Miller Street, Newtown, and Perry Barr,

WMPTE/Travel West Midlands rationalised the BCT and Midland Red garages that they took over. The 'out of area' bus routes that used to operate out of Sutton were taken over by Midland Red North who operated them from the ex Midland Red garages in their operating area.
From what I remember staff at the former Midland Red garages had different working conditions/rates of pay so it was in the best interests of the WMPTE (as they saw it) to eliminate these garages and they closed them one by one over a number of years. There are others more qualified on here who could explain this in detail.

Simon

Does any one know what, if any, are the plans for the former Midland Red garage in Station St. It's a huge space which, I think, has been unused for many years.
I used to hate having to get my bus there. It was dark, smelly and unpleasant from diesel fumes and had a real claustrophobic feel to it. I don't miss it.

I think the ground floor space is used for storage. the upper floors were of course part of the 1960s Bull Ring and I thin the former Debenhams store is above it.

Does any one know what, if any, are the plans for the former Midland Red garage in Station St. It's a huge space which, I think, has been unused for many years.
I used to hate having to get my bus there. It was dark, smelly and unpleasant from diesel fumes and had a real claustrophobic feel to it. I don't miss it.
It only exists as far as where the Queensway goes over it, the rest (to Edgbaston Street) was destroyed in the reconstructions. Whats left is for maintenance of the Queensway, storage & deliveries to some of the shops above. Minus the scaffolding-pole stands, its much as it was, retaining the platforms and pillars.

Glad to oblige, Phil....
View attachment 167721
My parents would take me to visit relatives in Coventry we would catch the 159 at the Hay Mils stop on Coventry Road and travel to Coventry via Meriden where the bus would stop to ‘clock in’ and then onto Pool Meadow to get a bus to Tile Hill. I remember the buses in coven being a purple and cream colour. There was something about those buses that made them different to the Birmingham buses of the time , or was it just my imagination?

My parents would take me to visit relatives in Coventry we would catch the 159 at the Hay Mils stop on Coventry Road and travel to Coventry via Meriden where the bus would stop to ‘clock in’ and then onto Pool Meadow to get a bus to Tile Hill. I remember the buses in coven being a purple and cream colour. There was something about those buses that made them different to the Birmingham buses of the time , or was it just my imagination?
You probably remember these Coventry Corporation buses.
1663353696946.png

Back