• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

When Everyone Wore A Hat...

Probably a hundred flat caps in this pic but a few youngsters starting a trend of not wearing hats unless they forgot!
The view down Arden Rd shows workers leaving the Woseley Works with Ash Rd on the right. Looking at the shadows it could be mid-day.
WoseleyWorks_ArdenRd_AshRd.jpg

This 1934 aerial view shows the area with Ash Rd going to the centre top and Arden Rd across the view. The 'blue shaded' house is one which is there today and actually painted blue. The red marker shows where the cameraman may have stood.
1934_ArdenAshrds.jpg

A similar view today.
Screenshot (218).jpg

Have a look round on streetview ... not as interesting as it was in the old days... :)

Looking at these pictures of workers walking out of the main gate of Tangyes Engineering works in 1901 makes me wonder whether someone could only get a job there provided they owned a hat. Maybe worse still if someone arrived wearing the wrong type of hat for the job type they were after.
4_Tangye_1901.jpg 3_Tangye_1901.jpg 2_Tangye_1901.jpg 1_Tangye_1901.jpg
The images are from the following website.

Looking at these pictures of workers walking out of the main gate of Tangyes Engineering works in 1901 makes me wonder whether someone could only get a job there provided they owned a hat. Maybe worse still if someone arrived wearing the wrong type of hat for the job type they were after.
View attachment 166669 View attachment 166670 View attachment 166671 View attachment 166672
oldMohawk, I read a couple of books on Tangyes in the summer and looking at the pictures thought the same thing!

My grandad, born 1893 was rarely to be seen without a hat. If he was going to work, GWR, it was a cap, but if it was a social occasion it would be a trilby. Don't remember seeing my dad, b1917, in a hat whatever the event apart as an item of his WW2 uniform. I, b1940, now only wear a hat if it is too cold or too hot as my hair is rather sparse but a cap was a part of school uniform 1951-58.

If you like to look at Britain when everyone wore a hat, here is a fascinating film clip digitally enhanced to play at the right speed. About 41sec in a dandy looking man realises he is on camera and brushes his moustache upwards in a military manner while pushing children out of the way.

As often happens with Youtube links the above video has been withdrawn. Will investigate if it is available from elsewhere. Meanwhile an altenative below showing hat wearing folk from long ago. Some scenes were in the original ... see the man swinging his umbrella ...
Thank you Old Mo really enjoyed that bit of film, there was clearly a lot of interest in the camera. It must of been huge for everyone to have noticed it going along...great stuff

View attachment 166669 View attachment 166670 View attachment 166671 View attachment 166672
All either caps or bowlers, but did you notice how young some of the boys were?
Bob

All either caps or bowlers, but did you notice how young some of the boys were?
Bob
In the 4th photo in post#486 a young boy can be seen holding a basket possibly trying to sell food to workers on their way out out for the mid-day break, but he might have simply been on an errand and got caught up in excitement. I've seen similar in other Mitchell & Kenyon 'factory gate' films. I suppose word got around that filming would take place and most would be in a cheerful mood looking at the camera. Some children also worked in some types of factories.

Have a look at the collection in link below.

Interesting to read these posts about hat wearing. My opinion is that post war and early 50s hat wearing was still common but as the mid to late 50s took hold with Teddy Boys, Elvis etc there was a new breed of youngsters who wanted to dazzle with a hairstyle to show off. Some say it all changed when those 4 mop tops from Liverpool came along and changed not only hairstyles but lots more.

Interesting to read these posts about hat wearing. My opinion is that post war and early 50s hat wearing was still common but as the mid to late 50s took hold with Teddy Boys, Elvis etc there was a new breed of youngsters who wanted to dazzle with a hairstyle to show off. Some say it all changed when those 4 mop tops from Liverpool came along and changed not only hairstyles but lots more.
Agree, the minute he was demobbed and went back to work dad always wore his trilby, work, Villa, County Ground, political meetings, Boldmere St Michaels and even when we went to the pictures. Then he bought LOB148 his series M Morris Minor in 1957 and never wore the hat again.
Both my wifes grandmother's wore hats all day in and outdoors?
Bob

In the 4th photo in post#486 a young boy can be seen holding a basket possibly trying to sell food to workers on their way out out for the mid-day break, but he might have simply been on an errand and got caught up in excitement. I've seen similar in other Mitchell & Kenyon 'factory gate' films. I suppose word got around that filming would take place and most would be in a cheerful mood looking at the camera. Some children also worked in some types of factories.

Have a look at the collection in link below.
Fascinating thanks.
Bob

Back