• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mum & Dad somewhere in Aston

What a wonderful thread. Like other members, have thoroughly enjoyed reading this. We are so lucky to have this forum. I should imagine Sue is over the moon with all the answers about her mom and dad on their wedding day. Thank you for everyone's contribution. It has been a great read. Kind regards, Sue
Yes I agree it's a wonderful thread and a great forum. I have been able to find out a lot about Birmingham where my parents and many other ancestors came from, and lived and died, went through wars and brought up their families. I have never been there and still have relatives that I don't know about yet who may still be alive. I love looking at my parents' wedding photos from that time. Even though I was born in Australia, I feel drawn to Birmingham and hope I can see it one day. Mum still calls it home! Mum's two long lost sisters that she never saw again may have families there, but we haven't been able to locate them yet.

Regards Sue.

Yes I agree it's a wonderful thread and a great forum. I have been able to find out a lot about Birmingham where my parents and many other ancestors came from, and lived and died, went through wars and brought up their families. I have never been there and still have relatives that I don't know about yet who may still be alive. I love looking at my parents' wedding photos from that time. Even though I was born in Australia, I feel drawn to Birmingham and hope I can see it one day. Mum still calls it home! Mum's two long lost sisters that she never saw again may have families there, but we haven't been able to locate them yet.

Regards Sue.
Thanks to everyone for this thread. You’ve enabled me to locate 13 Witton Road, next to Dent’s Garage, where my grandparents lived in 1921 until at least 1939. They were Lucy and Thomas Bourne and they had two children, Doris and Edna, my mum. In 1921 there were four other people in this house - Elsie Cashmere, a servant, Sidney (a clerk) and Ellen Perrins and their daughter, aged 1. It must have been a tight fit! I was born and grew up in Gravelly Hill, Erdington. Thanks to all for such excellent photos and maps.

thanks eric i remember the showroom on hamstead road much later than that...during the 70s and 80s...they had some pretty flash cars on show...

lyn
I bought a car from Mists garage in the mid 70’s and the salesman (a small man with black hair think his name was Reg was very helpful), I was in my mid 20’s and lived in Perry Barr opposite Enid Goodwin Dance Club at the time.
The small showroom was at the end of Soho Road (which continued onto Soho Hill into Hockey Brook with Elvins builders and the palladium cinema that became an amusement arcade) the Roebuck pub was on the corner of this junction and Hampstead Road was on the left where the entrance for Mists service and repairs were.
Although I lived in Perry Barr I knew the area very well as my girlfriend Ann lived in Whitmore Street opposite side of Hockley Brook next to the bus station and I used to regular walk home late at night along these roads. (What love will do)
We did get married and have a great daughter (now 42 and two Granddaughters aged 9 nearly 3 but Ann died shortly after the birth of our second Granddaughter)

Last edited:
Late arrival to this but absolutely agree. Well done all those involved. You have helped me because I was struggling to work out where my great-great grandmother's house was located. In the 1881 census she was Elizabeth Dooley living with her family at 3 Witton Lane. Thanks to the photos and map I am fairly sure that she was six houses down from Dents Garage and the first of the two shops selling tobacco. Brilliant. Thank you

I bought a car from Mists garage in the mid 70’s and the salesman (a small man with black hair think his name was Reg was very helpful), I was in my mid 20’s and lived in Perry Barr opposite Enid Goodwin Dance Club at the time.
The small showroom was at the end of Soho Road (which continued onto Soho Hill into Hockey Brook with Elvins builders and the palladium cinema that became an amusement arcade) the Roebuck pub was on the corner of this junction and Hampstead Road was on the left where the entrance for Mists service and repairs were.
Although I lived in Perry Barr I knew the area very well as my girlfriend Ann lived in Whitmore Street opposite side of Hockley Brook next to the bus station and I used to regular walk home late at night along these roads. (What love will do)
We did get married and have a great daughter (now 42 and two Granddaughters aged 9 nearly 3 but Ann died shortly after the birth of our second Granddaughter)
Wonderful story Peter! I think many of us did a lot of walking in those days maybe early 60's. I dated a girl who lived close to Sutton Park/Odeon Kingstanding. Many a Saturday night I missed the last bus to Handsworth & waited for night service which never seemed to come and walked it. I wish I could walk a quarter of that distance today!

Back