• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Christmas of the past

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approximation from Tesco apart from the tree and the mistletoe...

Fresh Turkey - £24.00
Frozen Turkey - £20.00
Pork - £10.00
Bacon Back - £4.00
Bacon Streaky - £4.00
Sausages - £2.00
Pork Pie - £2.80
Frozen Chicken - £7.00
Potatoes - £1.50
Carrots - £1.00
Sprouts - £0.95
Oranges - £0.35
Dates - £3.00
Nuts - £6.00
Mince Pies - £1.00
Cranberry Sauce £1.50
Christmas Pudding £5.00
Christmas Cake - £5.00
After Eights - £2.00
Stuffing - £1.50
Christmas Crackers - £3.00
Christmas Tree - £30.00
Mistletoe - £2.80
Whiskey - £16.00
Sherry - £6.00
Port - £6.00
Wine - £8.00
Alka Setlzer - £3.50

Total £177.90

Oh yes the sugar coated fruit jellies ! Because mum worked in various local shops customers always bought her gifts, often a bottle of something alcoholic, chocolate liqueurs , fruit jellies, marzipan fruits, that sort of thing. They became a good standby follow up to the regular box of Roses or Quality Street, I clearly remember mum coming home with bags of gifts she’d been given. Don’t see it so much today.

I expect we got used to having ham as she worked for Bywaters for a while. Must have kept it going when she left. Remember the smell of it boiling in spices and mustard. Then in the oven to finish it off. I also remember mum telling me her mum used to cure hams in her cellar, one being kept for Christmas. So that could be why she cooked ham for us at Christmas - keeping up her family tradition, but modified as we never had a cellar.

I also notice no chocolate logs on the 1970s list. Again we had them quite often as mum ran a bread shop. We always took it for granted we’d have this as mum had her network of shop contacts and grateful customers. Viv.

Viv.
i loved chocolate log ends:yum:grinning:

Can someone do a calculation to convert the 1970s prices to current day please ? Don’t kniw what to make of MWS’s Tesco comparison. It’s possible it’s comparable as mass production/supply has made things relatively cheaper. Viv.

Can someone do a calculation to convert the 1970s prices to current day please ? Don’t kniw what to make of MWS’s Tesco comparison. It’s possible it’s comparable as mass production/supply has made things relatively cheaper. Viv.
£30 in 1975 is now worth £264.30

Approximation from Tesco apart from the tree and the mistletoe...

Fresh Turkey - £24.00
Frozen Turkey - £20.00
Pork - £10.00
Bacon Back - £4.00
Bacon Streaky - £4.00
Sausages - £2.00
Pork Pie - £2.80
Frozen Chicken - £7.00
Potatoes - £1.50
Carrots - £1.00
Sprouts - £0.95
Oranges - £0.35
Dates - £3.00
Nuts - £6.00
Mince Pies - £1.00
Cranberry Sauce £1.50
Christmas Pudding £5.00
Christmas Cake - £5.00
After Eights - £2.00
Stuffing - £1.50
Christmas Crackers - £3.00
Christmas Tree - £30.00
Mistletoe - £2.80
Whiskey - £16.00
Sherry - £6.00
Port - £6.00
Wine - £8.00
Alka Setlzer - £3.50

Total £177.90
Thank you, you did not have to go out especially.
Bob

Something that isn’t listed is a joint of ham. Always thought that was a traditional Christmas treat, but maybe not.

And only walnuts and Brazil nuts are mentioned. As far back as I can remember we always had hazelnuts too. Loved the glossy brown shells. Viv.
Vivian, I think you are right on all counts!

So the 1970s Christmas looks relatively more expensive. Thanks Rob.

Viv.
The good days in the 70s as teenagers when life was simpler. And of course being here in Australia it's always hot at Christmas yet mum and dad still used to roast a turkey, cook hot vegetables, plum pudding and custard, mince pies (I would kill for a mince pie at the moment!). I miss those days when we gathered with them.

This Christmas produce booklet must have been pre-1971. At a guess I’d say this was from around the 1950s (?). It’s what Birmingham Co-op had on offer to help make your Christmas food special for the occasion.

Can’t say I’ve heard of Evaporated Dessert Fruit before. And BCS claims to have had dairy farms in Denmark. No surprise really as I expect their bacon came from Denmark too. Remember the “Danish” name printed on the rind of bacon joints ? Presumably Temperance wines were non-alcoholic. And there’s was me thinking non-alcoholic wine was a new thing. And all 113 shops are listed for your convenience. Viv.

E1196EEE-E5BD-419B-83E0-558BA3C3CF96.jpegC46E0743-C537-41C5-BBC7-3FFCD7FFC93E.jpeg5E104ED3-CD47-4D05-AE5D-633869BA0916.jpeg012F9E9F-1D25-48C8-A3F2-1E95B88E291B.jpegD2DD9EAC-3B9D-41D2-B293-FF4F42C28A63.jpeg

Last edited:
This Christmas produce booklet must have been pre-1971. It’s what Birmingham Co-op had on offer to help make your Christmas food special for the occasion.

Can’t say I’ve heard of Evaporated Dessert Fruit before. And BCS claims to have had dairy farms in Denmark. No surprise really as I expect their bacon came from Denmark too. Remember the “Danish” name printed on the rind of bacon joints ? Presumably Temperance wines were non-alcoholic. And there’s was me thinking non-alcoholic wine was a new thing. And all 113 shops are listed for your convenience. Viv.

View attachment 165113View attachment 165109View attachment 165110View attachment 165111View attachment 165112
Viv, what is American ham?

This Christmas produce booklet must have been pre-1971. At a guess I’d say this was from around the 1950s (?). It’s what Birmingham Co-op had on offer to help make your Christmas food special for the occasion.

View attachment 165113View attachment 165109View attachment 165110View attachment 165111View attachment 165112
i think its a POSH name for dry'd fruit:grinning:

wow i dont get that now.

Victorian Christmas dinner: One Christmas menu​

Oyster Bisque.
Roast Turkey.
Chicken Pie.
White Potato Puff. Baked Sweet Potatoes.
Boiled Rice. Stewed Oyster Plant.
Creamed Spinach.
Celery. Cranberry Jelly.
Lettuce with French Dressing.
Water Crackers. Cream Cheese.
Olives. Salted Almonds. Radishes.
Mince Pie. Plum Pudding.
Ice Cream.
Christmas Cake.
Fruit. Nuts. Raisins. Bonbons.
Coffee.

Happy to go with the Victorian menu Pete, not sure about “Stewed Oyster Plant” though. Is it like seaweed I wonder ? Think I’d rather spread it around the garden. Viv.

dont look to bad Viv just looked it up

What is salsify?​

A root vegetable belonging to the dandelion family, salsify is also known as the oyster plant because of its similar taste when cooked. The root is similar in appearance to a long, thin parsnip, with creamy white flesh and a thick skin. In the same way as many root vegetables, salsify can be boiled, mashed or used in soups and stews

Oh right, nothing to do with oysters then Pete. I like salsify so won’t be spreading it on the garden after all. Thanks. Viv.

wow i dont get that now.

Victorian Christmas dinner: One Christmas menu​

Oyster Bisque.
Roast Turkey.
Chicken Pie.
White Potato Puff. Baked Sweet Potatoes.
Boiled Rice. Stewed Oyster Plant.
Creamed Spinach.
Celery. Cranberry Jelly.
Lettuce with French Dressing.

Water Crackers. Cream Cheese.
Olives. Salted Almonds. Radishes.
Mince Pie. Plum Pudding.
Ice Cream.

Christmas Cake.
Fruit. Nuts. Raisins. Bonbons.
Coffee.

Pete, what country is that menu from?