• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Mum & Dad somewhere in Aston

Richard - you may be right. I understand what you are saying.
I don't know the area but looking at the maps it looked to me like a junction where you stopped and either turned right or left - not a bend. To me a bend implies the road you are on bends and you hve right of way. Was the end of Hamstead Road not a major junction with Soho Hill?

Richard - you may be right. I understand what you are saying.
I don't know the area but looking at the maps it looked to me like a junction where you stopped and either turned right or left - not a bend. To me a bend implies the road you are on bends and you hve right of way. Was the end of Hamstead Road not a major junction with Soho Hill?
Yes it was a major intersection, you are correct. I would also agree with your comment regarding right of way. That intersect was always difficult.

Trouble is once you think it says "Mist's" that is all you can make of it. I tried a Kelly's garage search for similar names but didn't spot anything. Hamstead Road would be near where they lived after they married (Holte Road) but I wondered if it was near where they lived before ie Aston. Sue hasn't gven us a name so can't go down that route.
Lyn thought she had a photo of the Hamstead Road garage - think we need her to find that of possible.

jan i still cant find that photo of mists on hamstead road and i am not sure it would help anyway but from memory back then it was a glass fronted car showroom as was the one around the corner on soho hill...i think this used to be the one on hamstead road just up from the roebuck but hopefully some of our other members can confirm..maybe sue could ask her mom if she can remember exactly where in aston the photo on post 1 was taken and where the wedding reception was held...

Sue says in post #29 that at 89 she is not sure her Mom would remember.
That entrance to Mist's looks as if it leads to a workshop or service yard whereas the Soho Hill one seems to be the showroom.
I can't find any other address.

Last edited:
You're right Janice that used to be the workshop entrance, I remember going in there for something back then.
eric how long ago was that because i can definately remember the one on hamstead road being glass fronted with cars on show..see my post 35

lyn

Well I worked in Villa Street from 1951 until 1958 so sometime around that time Lyn I'm sure there was a showroom on both sides of the site the main one on Soho Road and a smaller one alongside the workshop entrance in Hampstead Road.

In the photo it does look as if there might be a glass fronted "shop" to the left of the "workshop" entrance.
That still leaves us with the question where were they standing outside?
The Roebuck referred to earlier would have been on the same side as the garage but further left.
Road sign still puzzles me.

Well I worked in Villa Street from 1951 until 1958 so sometime around that time Lyn I'm sure there was a showroom on both sides of the site the main one on Soho Road and a smaller one alongside the workshop entrance in Hampstead Road.
thanks eric i remember the showroom on hamstead road much later than that...during the 70s and 80s...they had some pretty flash cars on show...

lyn

Yes I can remember the showroom in Hamstead Road around the same time too. I'm guessing maybe Mists premises 'bent round' the back of the pub which would give the other entrance on Soho Hill?

Doing a bit of background.
Sue's parents lived with her Dad at 30 Holte Road (Charles R Palmer) so it might be likely the reception would be held near that address ie not near Hamstead Road. If so - where is that garage?
I can't find Sue's Dad on the eroll so have no idea where he lived.

Doing a bit of background.
Sue's parents lived with her Dad at 30 Holte Road (Charles R Palmer) so it might be likely the reception would be held near that address ie not near Hamstead Road. If so - where is that garage?
I can't find Sue's Dad on the eroll so have no idea where he lived.
yes jan thats what i have always thought...i shall stick to my guns in saying the photo on post 1 was taken somewhere in aston ...going to have a closer look at the photo because as suggested earlier it may not say mists..edit in fact i dont think it says mists:oops:

lyn

The photo was taken outside Aston Parish Church, I have almost the same view on my wedding photos. I think posters have been misled over the name of the garage.

thanks sylvia so do you know the name of the road or street in the photo please...

lyn

If the photo is outside the Lych Gate then there's a gap in thr houses on the opposite side, nothing marked though.

If the photo is outside the Lych Gate then there's a gap in thr houses on the opposite side, nothing marked though.
Also the road is approaching a bend as Witton Lane enters Aston Hall Road. We need a 1955 Kelly's.

thanks for the map mark...the church is very near holte road where sues parents lived and ive just noticed there is a club on the corner plus the holte hotel...possible venues for the reception maybe

lyn

This is a picture of my parents in Aston, Birmingham in 1955 when they married. Don't know the street though. They were married at the Aston Parish Church, not far from Aston Hall. Mum still living here in Australia.
IMG_0299.jpg
My guess is that it is outside the lych gate of Aston Parish church, the bend sign would fit in with the “S” bend outside the Aston Tavern. Just a thought. The road is Aston Hall Road. Alf.

excellent work ..i was convinced the photo was taken in aston though and i did say it only looks like it says mists garage but sorry for sending you all on a wild goose chase:D:D:D

lyn

Back