• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Shirestone School

Brummie wench

proper brummie kid
Hi my name is Yvonne Gower I attended Shirestone J&I from 1967 to 1972. I remember Mr. Penny (headmaster) Mrs Dare (deputy) Mrs Walker, Mr Dargue (played guitar lived in flats on Shirestone Rd. Mrs Wyatt (lovely teacher). Mrs Burr, Mr McGillie. Infant teachers Mrs Pittaway, Mrs Harris (shouted a lot) Mrs Ashford Mrs Siviter. I remember assemblies, marching into the hall with classical music playing and singing All things bright and beautiful. Collecting bird feathers, conkers and weather cones for the nature table. Happy days!

Hi my name is Yvonne Gower I attended Shirestone J&I from 1967 to 1972. I remember Mr. Penny (headmaster) Mrs Dare (deputy) Mrs Walker, Mr Dargue (played guitar lived in flats on Shirestone Rd. Mrs Wyatt (lovely teacher). Mrs Burr, Mr McGillie. Infant teachers Mrs Pittaway, Mrs Harris (shouted a lot) Mrs Ashford Mrs Siviter. I remember assemblies, marching into the hall with classical music playing and singing All things bright and beautiful. Collecting bird feathers, conkers and weather cones for the nature table. Happy days!
Do you remember val Gamble?

Hi I too attended Shirestone during those years. I was Denise Hayward and lived in Mackadown Lane. Pupils I remember - Gary Heaven, Dawn Kesterton, Gary Lancaster, Maxine Timmins, Paul Stafford, Icelene Davis, Julie Davies, Sally Skidmore, twins Jackie & Joanne Smith and Sally & Gillian Smith, Stephen Caldicott, Ann Pennell to name but a few. I remember Christmas parties when you had to take your own spoons for the jelly, marked with your name on a sticking plaster! I moved onto Byng Kenrick Girls Grammar but left Birmingham in 1975 to live in Worcestershire. Attached is a photo of the teachers (including Mr Griffiths, Miss Mann and Mrs Giles who I am not sure we’re on your list)

Attachments

• 854B9F2A-AFE5-428A-8C77-75C6BC75D503.jpeg
    854B9F2A-AFE5-428A-8C77-75C6BC75D503.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 39
Hi I too attended Shirestone during those years. I was Denise Hayward and lived in Mackadown Lane. Pupils I remember - Gary Heaven, Dawn Kesterton, Gary Lancaster, Maxine Timmins, Paul Stafford, Icelene Davis, Julie Davies, Sally Skidmore, twins Jackie & Joanne Smith and Sally & Gillian Smith, Stephen Caldicott, Ann Pennell to name but a few. I remember Christmas parties when you had to take your own spoons for the jelly, marked with your name on a sticking plaster! I moved onto Byng Kenrick Girls Grammar but left Birmingham in 1975 to live in Worcestershire. Attached is a photo of the teachers (including Mr Griffiths, Miss Mann and Mrs Giles who I am not sure we’re on your list)
Hi, your name rings a bell. Thanks for posting the photo, I recognise a few of the teachers. I also remember Christmas parties with jelly and ice cream.

Hi Denise
I was at Shirestone from 64 (?) to 68; I'm John Kesterton and definitely remember your name from the past but not sure if it was from the school. I lived in Mackadown Lane too (212) so maybe from there. I had a brother, Paul, 2 years younger and was there until 1968. You mentioned Dawn Kesterton - she is my cousin and had an older brother, Barry, who was in my year. I so enjoyed Shirestone and moved on to Central Grammar from there but achieved little at that school..
Remember Mr Mann, Mr Penny, Mrs Giles (daughter was Candy who I had a crush on) and Mrs Dare.

Hi John, I went to Central in 68. Seem to remember a Stephen and do believe I knew you too. I lived in Heathmere drive.

Hi, am new to site so bit late in commentating. My mum was Mrs Burr, one of those teachers at Shirestones in the 60s, she did really like Mr Penny the head. I attended the reception class there for a short time, but then as closer went to Marston Green Primary in the end,

Back