• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ansells Brewery

I think I have a team photo with you on it outside the club. I also played for Ansells boys from age 12 all through to colts 3rd team 2nd team and 1st team. My dad worked for Ansells until he passed away in 1982.
Hi Mark, it seems forever ago used to go training on Thursday evenings remember traing on the sand pitch, as a keeper I loved this soft landings and all that, if you could post the picture that would be brilliant, Andy

Hi Mark, it seems forever ago used to go training on Thursday evenings remember traing on the sand pitch, as a keeper I loved this soft landings and all that, if you could post the picture that would be brilliant, Andy

Attachments

• 000BC9E6-40D8-4686-A5B2-804745EA42DD.jpeg
    000BC9E6-40D8-4686-A5B2-804745EA42DD.jpeg
    471 KB · Views: 55
They were good days still in contact with a few.
Wow we looked so young I think I would have been around 14/15 I remember a few in the photo Ian whale, noggin Ian next to Sid and noggin at the end of front row, I am at the back 3 in from Jimmy calderwood, my dad is in the picture at the back with the fizzy hair and jumper, my daughter just said I look younger there than my grandson who is also 14, amazing picture from days gone by but as you rightly say they were good days indeed

Wow we looked so young I think I would have been around 14/15 I remember a few in the photo Ian whale, noggin Ian next to Sid and noggin at the end of front row, I am at the back 3 in from Jimmy calderwood, my dad is in the picture at the back with the fizzy hair and jumper, my daughter just said I look younger there than my grandson who is also 14, amazing picture from days gone by but as you rightly say they were good days indeed
Also Glen Pooler, Paddy Fenlon,Steve Reynolds,Dave Reynolds,I’m not on the photo as I wasn’t at training that week. My Cousin Mike Sadler is on it.

Also Glen Pooler, Paddy Fenlon,Steve Reynolds,Dave Reynolds,I’m not on the photo as I wasn’t at training that week. My Cousin Mike Sadler is on it.
Now I remember the names, I believe that Kenny Burns is stood in front of my dad in the black bomber jacket, I do recall them all sitting in the snooker room after training having a good old session could never take to Kenny burns but Jimmy Calderwood was sound as was Sid Timmins sid gave me the 1st ever pair of goalie gloves I ever owned, they would have been classed as gardening gloves now,

Hi it's my father in law and his name is John Madden.
Hi, its Peter Madden john Madden is my older brother and Mike is my eldest it was Michael who introduced me to John Cronin senior when I went to watch the 3rd team at home I was only 15 and John asked me if I got any boots all of a sudden I'm sub as a guest player.
It's nice to know someone remembers our family.
All the names come flooding Back, the pipers, Dereck Kevin, Bunny, Alan Harrison, Dennis Hopkins.
I still have a picture of the 3rd team but would like to see the picture of myself and Dereck Kevin in the sports Argus after we won the Birmingham city shield against Dunlops.
If anyone has any memorabilia it would be nice to meet up
Peter Madden

Hi Peter my husband Pete Smith worked there too and we had a caravan on the same side of the river as Kevo. We used to meet up a lot with him there and he would give the twins and myself a lift down if Pete had to work. My late brother was a checker there too.

Hi Peter my husband Pete Smith worked there too and we had a caravan on the same side of the river as Kevo. We used to meet up a lot with him there and he would give the twins and myself a lift down if Pete had to work. My late brother was a checker there too.
Is Kevo, Dereck Kevin the ex pro footballer

I knew Ken very well he foreman over bottling side making sure the trucks was loaded properly.I tjink we was on about £25 a week wages but it was a great job. there was also his son in law but can't remember his name
Hi, can u remember Michael Madden he worked in the bottling

hello pete do you know where ken has been laid to rest I would like to place some flowers if poss, he helped me and a lot more people at ansells in the seventies when I worked there, great negotiator he was. regards peter rankin.
Hi Pete, not sure if you remember me Peter Madden I used to play In the 1st team with cronins and Harrison ect
Nice to recognise some names like yourself and others good days we had,
Pete

hello jean, yes that is john cronin snr, he was one of life's true gentlemen, i know the quality of the picture is not very good

but johns son bernard is situated on the back row. if you want i can post the names of the other team members most of whom
if not all worked for ansells.
Hi sorry to but in but would you post the names of the team as I played with Bunnyand And Alan Harrison
Thank u
Peter Madden/Michael Madden

Yes we knew him as Kevo. Had some great weekends with him then he was divorced and gave up his caravan. We had nights out with his new partner after that though.
I didn't know he had passed away so sad to here.
I used to play football with him for Ansells played in the cup final at St Andrew's in the Birmingham city shield beating Dulops 1.0 there is a picture of myself and Dereck in the sports Argus holding the Shield nice memories also I used to look after him at the Albion matches as I was an Executive steward in the private boxes

He started me on Brandy and Baby champs. Pete used to tell him I was only having one drink at a time and I won't say what Kevo called him!!. Tight was the first word.

Back