• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birth Certificate: ‘Occasional Copy: A’

AMW

master brummie
I wanted to order the following birth certificate:

CALLOW,
DORIS JOAN
GRO Reference: 1929 M Quarter in BIRMINGHAM NORTH Volume 06D Page 813 Occasional Copy: A

I don’t understand why it says ‘Occasional Copy: A’ or why the mother’s maiden name is missing please. Also I can't seem to find any further record's for Doris Joan Callow. How would you find out if someone was adopted?

Best wishes
Alison

According to a Google search it means a change was made after the initial registration.
If you search "birth certificate occasional copy" you will find several articles about this.

• Appreciate
Reactions: AMW
That's right. The intriguing part is they had another child Doris Mary Callow in Jan 1930. Seems strange to have 2 children named Doris one year apart. Perhaps Doris Joan died but I can't find a death for her.

Years ago you were legally bound to register a child even if it only lived for hours or days so sadly the father would register both events at the same time and often only the birth was registered.
I think that some people in those days would believe it be bad luck to name another child with the same name so soon after losing one.
The other option is that you had the right to change any christian name for a period of 12 months and although the reregister would be in 1930 and as well as the new name it would have the original birthdate,and original christian names although you can only speculate as to why Joan would be changed to Mary.
Have you seen Doris Mary birth certificate.

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Yes I have and all seems straight forward. George married Betsy's sister May Cartledge in 1960 although George and May were listed as living together in 1939 register.

Got the birth certificate and Doris Joan Callow as born in December 1928 and is the daughter of George and May. She was adopted. How would I find out more about the adoption please.

Best wishes
Alison

Got the birth certificate and Doris Joan Callow as born in December 1928 and is the daughter of George and May. She was adopted. How would I find out more about the adoption please.

Best wishes
Alison
hi alison i would suggest contacting social services.....lyn

• Appreciate
Just trying to get my head round this:
Doris Joan born dec 1928 and reg 1929 was the daughter of George Callow and MAY Cartledge but he was married in 1922 to Betsy.
You said you have seen Doris Mary's birth cert - are the parents George and BETSY Callow?

• Appreciate
Yes they are. He went on to marry May in the 1960s. She was actually Betsy's sister. He was living with May in the 1939 register.

Back