• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Westhill College Selly Oak

I lived next door to the college on Weoley Park Road until 1973. Do not recognize the building in the photo, which may be the side facing away from the road. I believe the college closed in 2001 and subsequently the college buildings were demolished and houses built on the area.

I lived next door to the college on Weoley Park Road until 1973. Do not recognize the building in the photo, which may be the side facing away from the road. I believe the college closed in 2001 and subsequently the college buildings were demolished and houses built on the area.
I moved in 1976 to Weoley Park Road and yes its certainly different now - we backed onto playing fields then.

I moved in 1976 to Weoley Park Road and yes its certainly different now - we backed onto playing fields then.
What number did you live in?? My parents were still living in number 45 in 1976. I watched the playing fields being done with heavy equipment.

There were several Westhill Colleges around the area, if you Google it it shows at least 4 different old buildings. The one I remember was on the Bristol Road by the Yatching pool, us kids used to sneak into the grounds at night

This has appeared on a Facebook page devoted to unknown buildings, and identified as Archibald house, Westhill Training college. I have lightened it

Archibald House . Westhill Training College, Selly OakA.jpg

This has appeared on a Facebook page devoted to unknown buildings, and identified as Archibald house, Westhill Training college. I have lightened it

Compared to the photo further up it gives the impression that this one is much earlier as the other is covered in Ivy ? which has only just started to grow in several places

Came across this photo showing the front of the college facing Weoley Park Road as I remember it in the 1960's and early 1970's. The tall tree visible above the roof of the college was the tree in my parents' back garden at 45 Weoley Park Road.

Attachments

• Westhill College.jpg
    Westhill College.jpg
    590.7 KB · Views: 19
Came across this photo showing the front of the college facing Weoley Park Road as I remember it in the 1960's and early 1970's. The tall tree visible above the roof of the college was the tree in my parents' back garden at 45 Weoley Park Road. They were lovely long gardens backing onto playing fields

Came across this photo showing the front of the college facing Weoley Park Road as I remember it in the 1960's and early 1970's. The tall tree visible above the roof of the college was the tree in my parents' back garden at 45 Weoley Park Road.
Far be it from me to disagree with you ...............but this photo is of Middlemore Homes child emigration centre. I delivered newspapers all along Weoley Park road during the late 50's early 60's and am fairly sure of this. The inscription confirming this on the portico was ground off much later to hide the history of the building. At the rear of the main building a home for single mothers was constructed and much later used by the Probation Service. Couldn't tell you if I put pants on this morning but I have clear memories of the 1950's.

Far be it from me to disagree with you ...............but this photo is of Middlemore Homes child emigration centre. I delivered newspapers all along Weoley Park road during the late 50's early 60's and am fairly sure of this. The inscription confirming this on the portico was ground off much later to hide the history of the building. At the rear of the main building a home for single mothers was constructed and much later used by the Probation Service. Couldn't tell you if I put pants on this morning but I have clear memories of the 1950's.
I would agree, I can remember sorting out a lot of my clothes when moving house, some bags to go to the home and others which I wanted to keep, unfortunately, my ex took them all upto the home. They must have been chuffed when they opened the black bags

Hi Selly Oak Boy. I lived on Weoley Park Road between 1952 and 1973, next door on the west side of the college. To the best of my recollection the photo is correct for the Westhill College that was on Weoley Park Road. Used to walk past the college every morning going to school between 1958 and 1970. I remember the grassy expanse between the college building and the road as there was no service road in front of the college. The attached URL for an article on the Middlemore Emigration Home says that it became the college after 1955 until the building was demolished in 2004. http://www.formerchildrenshomes.org.uk/middlemore_emigration_homes.html

Hi Selly Oak Boy. I lived on Weoley Park Road between 1952 and 1973, next door on the west side of the college. To the best of my recollection the photo is correct for the Westhill College that was on Weoley Park Road. Used to walk past the college every morning going to school between 1958 and 1970. I remember the grassy expanse between the college building and the road as there was no service road in front of the college. The attached URL for an article on the Middlemore Emigration Home says that it became the college after 1955 until the building was demolished in 2004. http://www.formerchildrenshomes.org.uk/middlemore_emigration_homes.html
Thanks for the link. We are both mostly correct then. I know that Westhill College was situated on several sites around that vicinity including down College Walk on the other side of Bristol Road. Slight digression, do you recall the two large detached houses on Weoley Park Road at its junction with Bristol Road that were used to house delinquent lads, a sort of pre-borstal institution , mid 50's ish ?

I do recall the two large detached houses and was somewhat friendly with the son of the owners of one of the houses. This was probably back in the early 1960's, 60 years ago. I believe the boys name was Seth Martin. Have been living in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia in Canada since 1973. Last time I visited Weoley Park Road to look at number 45 where I lived until 1973, was probably in the mid-1980's. You said you delivered papers on Weoley Park Road. Do not know if you delivered to number 45. If you did, do you remember the small cannon in the front yard??

I studied at Westhill College of Education in the early 1970s. The building pictured housed our library, lecture rooms, art studios and gym. It was also the only building on the campus where a uni bar was permitted; all the other college buildings were on Quaker land.

I studied at Westhill College of Education in the early 1970s. The building pictured housed our library, lecture rooms, art studios and gym. It was also the only building on the campus where a uni bar was permitted; all the other college buildings were on Quaker land.
Did you know a Brian Adams when you were at the college???

Back