• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sawdust dealer

AMW

master brummie
Hi

Would anyone know about Sawdust dealers in Birmingham from 1920's to 1940's please.

Best wishes
Alison

Not all directories are online
1632838844800.png
1632839186172.png
No sign of the names you gave.

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: AMW
have moved this thread from general discussion to trade enquires which is a more suitable section of the forum...could we remind members that we usually have a section for most subjects/topics so its advisable to check before posting under the general discussion section...

thanks from the team

Thanks Janice. I can't seem to find anything at all so thanks for finding those entries :)

Why did you think they were sawdust dealers? I will also double check Kenyon Street in a moment.

• Appreciate
Reactions: AMW

Charlotte Harvey

1939 • 5 16 Kenyon Street, Birmingham, West Midlands, England

Marital Status: Widowed Sawdust Dealer (Retired)

Having checked the entry her address is 5 back of 16 so is unlikely to be listed in the directory.
However on the 1939 eroll she seems to be listed at 5 Hampton Terrace, Kenyon Street
1632844503821.png

If you trace Charlotte back in the censuses then she has a wide variety of jobs and I suspect sawdust dealer was her last venture and may have been small scale.
1881 married to a policeman
1891 pen sharpener
1901 she is living on her own means
1911 nothing stated

Thanks so much Janice. I get really confused with the housing. I seem to think everything is "back to backs" and that a terrace could be at the back of somewhere. It must have been a small scale thing as you say.

Best wishes
Alison

Why sawdust dealers?

Sawdust was still being used to sprinkle on the floors of butcher shops in the 1960s. Anywhere where there was likely to be spillages, such as pubs, would use it as it soaked up liquids and unpleasant things like blood and spit.

Again in the 1960s, no school caretaker would be without a bucket of sawdust as a first response to a child 'throwing up' on the floor.

Back