• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Castle Bromwich clubs

Hi Ian - yes that was me. I looked up some dates re Jasper Carrott, and think that club must have been The Chesterfield when he appeared there.
It was very pleasant to receive your reply.
Lovely to hear from you again after more than 60 years. Attended the funerals of Mr and Mrs Price and their son Keith. Have Sheila and Brenda's email addresses if you want to get in touch, but it has been some time since I last spoke to them. If you need any more info, send me a PM though this site, (if it's possible). Hope you have had a good a life as I've had - best of luck for the future. Ian

I will continue to try to send a PM, but not much success so far. However those 60 years you mentioned have been eventful, wonderful and moved too fast. . As I am on the same link as previously, it seems OK to mention that Jasper Carrott's show, last night, was amazing. He, and Bev Bevan (and band), were as energetic as ever, and had the audience on their feet. Do you still play guitar? I hope I can send a PM and answer your post. I was delighted to hear how much you have enjoyed your life. Yvonne

I will continue to try to send a PM, but not much success so far. However those 60 years you mentioned have been eventful, wonderful and moved too fast. . As I am on the same link as previously, it seems OK to mention that Jasper Carrott's show, last night, was amazing. He, and Bev Bevan (and band), were as energetic as ever, and had the audience on their feet. Do you still play guitar? I hope I can send a PM and answer your post. I was delighted to hear how much you have enjoyed your life. Yvonne
hi try checking your settings as you may not have ticked to send and receive private conversations...hope this works

lyn

Hi Lyn
Thank you. I ll try that later. I only stumbled on this site. It s facinating is nt it? I started scrolling down all the factories and offices, 37 pages... I knew of loads of them, one way or another, where relatives had worked.
Thanjs for help, Yvonne

Hi Yvonne. Have I actually found you!! Neighbour, School friend, fellow 1st Kingshurst Guide friend, Saint Barnabas Youth club member, bridesmaid. Would be great to hear from you!

You are right on most counts. The owner's name was Dave, not Charlie and I have a way of knowing this as he was my Dad. He was married to my Mom Joan. I'm the precocious little brat you see and at that age I was! More 'spoiled' brat I would say but that's what happens when your parents ran their timber yard from 8:30 in the morning until 6 o'clock at night and then running the club from about 7 until around 2am. Kid's get material things instead hence 'spoiled'. I used to drive his Jag (LOC 100F) and all of the vehicles around the yard and club car park and the only time I came into contact with another car was when someone drove into the car park with the back door of their car wide open and there was no room for me to get out of the way. Yours was always safe.

Molly was my Dad's Sister in Law and she was married to Dad's Brother Jim. They did have a son (my Cousin) Frankie who is still a painter and decorator. He had a Sister named Margaret who moved away to Wales but sadly died some years ago.

Dave, my Dad (not Charlie) died just over 30 years ago and Mom died 3 years ago. He ran Redcroft for 26 years in all and I have worked it for 41 years so far. I try to spoil myself these days.

I remember your name but I can't put a face to you but I'll bet there are plenty who can.

Well done on most counts and don't hesitate to reminisce again. I'll try not to have a tantrum.
I lived on the opposite side of the Chester Road (my parents owned and ran the Vanity Box hairdressers) from the late 50's to mid 60's. My memory was "Chesterfield Club". There was a claim that Cliff Richard stayed there when he was performing in Birmingham (early 60's I think). I don't know if its true but surely you would know - I've often wondered about it.

Hi Peter Kirby, you are on my old school photo that I’ve posted on The Bentley Road junior school site. With your twin sister Penny. She was my friend at school. We all went on to different senior schools, I went to Kingshurst High school for Girls. I lived on the Chester Road, very last house before the fields started. I recall being told that your dad was a retired boxer. He took us to the cinema once to see I think South Pacific in his very posh car! Brenda nee Price

Well that brings back a few memories! I live in America (Philadelphia) and Penny is visiting from the UK in a few weeks. I'm sure she will remember you (as I do). It would be great fun to share what has happened since our respective departures from Bentley Road, but best done by direct email I think. My address is [email protected] Here is a nice piece about my father's boxing career. https://www.boxingnewsonline.net/bert-kirby-and-the-era-of-the-great-british-flyweight/
I also lived on the Chester Road, just a few houses up from Brenda Price (Bee Jay). Next door to us was a lovely lady, Mrs Morgan (nee Kirby). Was she a relative, because I believe she had several family members living in the area?

I also lived on the Chester Road, just a few houses up from Brenda Price (Bee Jay). Next door to us was a lovely lady, Mrs Morgan (nee Kirby). Was she a relative, because I believe she had several family members living in the area?
Hi Ian. Not sure there's any connection here but my sister, June Long (nee Kirby), lived on the Chester road - about half way between Brenda and Bacons End. At that time most of the Kirby and extended family lived in the Castle Bromwich area.

Back