• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Handsworth Grammar School 1950--1960

Charlie Peck was Mr G. M. Hilbourne BSc. He is shown as the Second Master [aka deputy headmaster] in my old and badly marked copy of the School Calendar for 1956-57. I have no idea why he was called Charlie Peck. I believe he retired in 1959 or 1960. I think there is a biography of him in the book published to mark the HGS centenary in 1963.HGS Calendar 1965-57.jpg

Last edited:
I remember the caning from Joe,I had a grocery delivery boy job on Friday evening and Saturdays at Wrensons at Beggars Bush. If I had a detention to serve I elected to receive 6 of the best from Joe instead I even wore my gym shorts under my regular trousers to mitigate the discomfort somewhat. Thanks JLB for the aerial shot of the shooting range in the 'play' area, the second long range shooting range was at our sports field me thinks?. The school photo that I have a copy of was taken in 1957 and found it when clearing out my mothers house upon her passing in 2016.
In 1967 I accepted a job offer from Canada and departed the UK March 3rd that year. I met a nurse on a blind date three weeks later and we married and still are on September 18 1968. The reason for mentioning this, as part of our honeymoon I brought her to the UK to meet friends and relatives here, I also took her see HGS and was shocked to find the entry double doors locked. One of the custodians came and when I explained the reason for our being there he allowed us in,as we passed Pecks office he took us in and they had the 1957 school photo displayed on the wall, I picked out my photo and the custodian relaxed enough to allow us to wander around. I indicated what each room was and found that a couple or so had changed. When we entered the Biology lab,the familiar smell hit my nostrils and a memory flashed into my brain of when we were being taught "human reproduction", the Master showed a slide? of a female breast and a kid named MacAndrew had not been paying attention until that is he saw that picture and blurted out "a tit". The Master heard it and ordered MacAndrew to give him three alternate names instead. I was 80 yesterday and still vividly remember that episode.
Would anyone on the forum have any photos of us students dressed in our CCF or OTC uniforms, as I am writing a book using www,storywise.com for my kids and grand-kids and would love to add it to my High School article.
Stay safe. Robin.
Robin, These were put on Facebook by David Mumford, who also wrote
"Here is a blast from the past. I attended HGS from 1949 to 1954. Whilst there I joined the School Combined Cadet Corps. We had two Sections when I joined, Army and Air Force. Everyone went into the Army Section to start with and when you gained your Cert A Part 1 you could choose to carry on in the Army or move over into the Air Force Section. By a stoke of sheer luck, when I got my Cert A Part 1 in March 1954 we had a new Master join the Staff and he was a Sub/Lt in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve. Sub/Lt West promptly founded a Royal Naval Section and I promptly joined it.
He arranged for us to have an Annual Camp and I attended the very first one in 1954 when we were attached to HMS Scorpion a Weapon Class Destroyer docked in Portsmouth at that time. We spent time visiting other Ships in the Docks at that time including, HMS Verelum, HMS Dido, HMS Cleopatra, HMS Albion ( the very first angle deck Aircraft Carrier) and the highlight of the camp, the UK's most famous Battleship, HMS Vanguard. Ashore we spent time at HMS Phoenix (Firefighting School), HMS Dolphin (Submarine Base - with time on Submarine HMS Auriga) and Whale Island Gunnery School. It was one of the most exciting times in my life. When it was time for my National Service unfortunately, they were sacking Sailors and breaking up the old War Ships so I was drafted into the Army and spent my two years as a Sergeant Drill Instructor in the Royal Army Medical Corps and it became two of the happiest years of my life. I truly valued my time in the Combined Cadet Corps at school, without which, I may well have ended up in a much more mundane job during my National Service."
Going ashore from HMS Scorpion - I am the one at the front 1954.
Sgt. Dave Mumford RAMC 1956 to 1958 david mumford 1.jpgdavid mumford 2.jpg

I joined the navel CCF and remember the trip to Portsmouth, a great few days. My plan for National Service was the airforce, I loved jet planes then. However, National Service was ended 18 months before I would have been due.
I remember once in CCF there had been a threat of IRA issues and all of our weapon store had been raided and dismantled by the police. Our CCF afternoon was spent reassembling rifles

I was at Handsworth Grammar between 1959 and 1966. These photos sure bring back some memories. I can add my name to the thread having been caned by JJ Walton. He caught us playing snooker in the snooker hall on Soho Road when we should have been in class. Busted again! Anyone know if there is an old boys society?

I'm having trouble with my maths and term times! Would someone born in September 1940 be on your photo please? My cousin, David Woolley, went to Handsworth Grammar but may have left for Uni by the time of your photo.
Hi Lady Penelope; I remember David Wooley from my years at HGS 1952-1958 so he should be on the 2 photos that are posted by 'Enzothebaker', David was one year ahead of me as I was born in April of 1941.

Hello. I was at HGS during the fifties when Holy Joe was the head. The teachers I most remember were Mr West who took us for English in the Sixth Form and who left me with a lasting love of Jane Austen and Mr Page who took us for music. I also remember a physics teacher, whose name escapes me, who if we misbehaved made us chew chalk. Can you imagine what would happen to a teacher who tried that today. And does anybody remember the CCF? I was in the naval section and had a great time going on various courses and messing about in boats. Incidentally, the Mr West mentioned above was in charge of the naval section.

Hi Lady Penelope; I remember David Wooley from my years at HGS 1952-1958 so he should be on the 2 photos that are posted by 'Enzothebaker', David was one year ahead of me as I was born in April of 1941.
Sorry for the delay Robin. I still haven't found David but will keep looking.
I was talking to Dave Reeves last Sunday who lived quite near to you in Court Lane and remembers your family well. The name Quentin Blower came up and apparently he went to Handsworth Grammar. He would have been around your age so do you remember him?

Charlie Peck was Mr G. M. Hilbourne BSc. He is shown as the Second Master [aka deputy headmaster] in my old and badly marked copy of the School Calendar for 1956-57. I have no idea why he was called Charlie Peck. I believe he retired in 1959 or 1960. I think there is a biography of him in the book published to mark the HGS centenary in 1963.View attachment 156616
I am Chris Davies, & I attended HGS from 1952-57. The names shown bring back a lot of memories. Can't find me
on the school pics. Attached is a copy of the front inside page of my copy of The Bridge when I left in 57. Anyone recognise any of the signatures?
Charlie Peck was Mr G. M. Hilbourne BSc. He is shown as the Second Master [aka deputy headmaster] in my old and badly marked copy of the School Calendar for 1956-57. I have no idea why he was called Charlie Peck. I believe he retired in 1959 or 1960. I think there is a biography of him in the book published to mark the HGS centenary in 1963.View attachment 156616

I am Chris Davies, & I attended HGS from 1952-57. The names shown bring back a lot of memories. Can't find me
on the school pics. Attached is a copy of the front inside page of my copy of The Bridge when I left in 57. Anyone recognise any of the signatures?
Chris, Have a look at this 1957 photo, see if you can see yourself? I have a higher resolution but I don't think the forum would go that high. Perhaps look for friends in the same form.

HGS-July-1957W2.jpg

I have no idea why he was called Charlie Peck, perhaps his first name was Gregory.
He retired in 1957, and died in 1960 see attached from Centenary Book

Hilbourne.jpg

Sir Mark Rowley has been named as the new commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, taking over the role vacated by Dame Cressida Dick.
At Handsworth Grammar School 1976-1983

skynews-mark-rowley-cressida_5827891.jpg

The School had a successful football history with their various teams. Viv.

53F9F6E9-8AFE-4033-99CC-6493068D76EC.jpeg

Source: British Newspaper Archive

If my memory at 80 is still active, didn't Spooners also sell donuts out of the rear window of the dining room at a penny each?? Reading Mr. Darby's name [ Frenchie???] brought back painful memories as he suffered from 'small manitus' and used a gym pump to administer his choice of punishment. For some reason, I received 6 slaps, later that night I had a bath and my Dad, a mounted policeman based in Handsworth Police Stn, 'walked into the bathroom and saw the welts on my backside. He asked me where they had come from, I told him and I found out a couple of years later that my Dad had visited 'Joe W' headmaster and had a chat with him about severe abuse of a child, which came with an official warning.
Robin tentatively referred to Mr Darby as "Frenchie".
When I was at HGS (1951-1959) we called him "Arthur". I don't know why - his initials were R B Darby.
I have no recollection of anyone being beaten by him.
John Ball
1A (1951-52), 2A (1952-53), 3A (1953-54), 4A (1954-55), 5A (1955-56), VI Science i (1956-57), VI Science ii (1957-58), VI Science iii (1958-59)

Back