• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Summer Lane School

A photo from the Birmingham Gazette in 1928 and one from the Birmingham Post in 1940. (Source: British Newspaper Archive). Viv E0A9A450-1A13-49BE-BBC4-E4CC979CBC91.jpeg
77643096-5DDF-44B4-9FC6-8E8CD01C10BB.jpeg

I went to summer lane school in the early 60's our form teacher was Miss Savage.
anyone out there remember her. she followed us through from year 1 to year 4.
hi i remember miss savage she was my art teacher i was in mr edwards class left school in 64 happy days .

hi i remember miss savage she was my art teacher i was in mr edwards class left school in 64 happy days .
Yes i remember miss Savage she was a tough teacher but she took a shine to me i think because of my artwork, i think she was also at cowper street school unless my old brain is playing tricks on me , any one else remember her being at cowper street . I also remember mr Edwards i had the cain off him in my first half hour at summer lane for talking in line outside i didnt know wich line i should be in and was asking some one i could not hold a pensil all day then went to the shop for him to get his pack of ciggies lol

Yes i remember miss Savage she was a tough teacher but she took a shine to me i think because of my artwork, i think she was also at cowper street school unless my old brain is playing tricks on me , any one else remember her being at cowper street . I also remember mr Edwards i had the cain off him in my first half hour at summer lane for talking in line outside i didnt know wich line i should be in and was asking some one i could not hold a pensil all day then went to the shop for him to get his pack of ciggies lol
he was a tough teacher indeed

Hello John,
I was in the same class as Gill and our form teacher was Mr. Creasy. Think Gill had a good friend Gillian Freer who I bumped into in the early eighties.
Great memories of Summer Lane School at the age of 11 - 14 when I left to start work!.
Colin Bache (top of class, table tennis captain and caned three times)

Hello John,
Great photo,yes it is Summer Lane school,it brought back so many memories.Some years ago Mr Edwards (an ex Summer Lane teacher)told me that the same day the demolition of the school started was the same day that Mr James(ex headmaster) died.
Maurice
hi john, that is a photo of summer lane school. i went there 1958 to 1962 enjoyed my school daye in the main i can only remember a couple of teachers mr reese the science teacher mrs pierce domestic science mr byron english. if you get any more photos would you cindly post them , my name was gillian peace thanks .
Hello Gill,
I also went to Summer Lane School during those years and my form teacher was Mr. Creasy.
Mr. Reese was also my science teacher and Mr. Byron (who also taught boxing). Great times at Summer Lane School with lots of good memories, school friends and not so good ones, Trevor, Ron, Dennis, Frank, Philip, the McKeowns, Two Gills, Carol.

Hi All
I have this photo of Summer Lane School, may have been on before, i just cleaned it up a bit.

Summer_lane_school_2.jpg

Hope this helps Regards Stars
That’s a great photo of my old school that I attended 1959-1963. It’s the front view from Summer Lane and me and a couple of friends once climbed onto that roof. I lived in Tower Street and walked down Hospital Street and after passing Brearley Street entered through the back entrance of the school in Hospital Street.

Does anyone remember my Dad, David Kevin Smith who lived in Smith Street and Little King Street in Hockley. He went to Summer Lane School from 1960 to 1964. His brothers were Ronnie, Billy and Alfie and sister Anne. His parents were Bill and Hannah (known as Annie). He would love to here from anyone that knows him or his family to reminisce about the 'good old days'.
Hello,
I used to be pals with a David Smith during that time, he eventually moved to Hall Green and married an Italian girl.

Looking at the earlier photographs, I think the Mr Edwards of Summer Lane school is the same Mr Edwards who became head of sport at St. Georges Comprehensive school just up the road - what a fantastic teacher!!! Always good for a laugh as you can see from the attached photos:-
Firstly with fellow PE teacher Mr Rogers:-
1632298951671.png

Next - in the annual staff rounders match:-
1632299342740.png

And finally - teaching us how to play tennis in the long hot summer of 1977:-
1632299412996.png
1632299449031.png

great photos mark all of my children attended st georges during the 90s and also one sister and one brother did in the 70s...unless my memory fails me mark i think the long hot summer was 1976 not 77

lyn

I'm not sure - you may be right. I know it was hot!
yes it was 76 mark...i was married and living in great barr then...very hot for months but being much younger i sailed through it these days anything above 25 degrees and i lock myself in lol

lyn

Experimental ‘healthier’ outdoor classrooms at the Boys’ Dept, Summer Lane School.
Viv.
DB6EDDEF-83BF-41EF-B8F0-4F801ABCF923.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Attachments

• E9973682-4E9D-448B-B6DC-E4DC673D739F.jpeg
    E9973682-4E9D-448B-B6DC-E4DC673D739F.jpeg
    261.4 KB · Views: 9
Looking at the earlier photographs, I think the Mr Edwards of Summer Lane school is the same Mr Edwards who became head of sport at St. Georges Comprehensive school just up the road - what a fantastic teacher!!! Always good for a laugh as you can see from the attached photos:-
Firstly with fellow PE teacher Mr Rogers:-
View attachment 161808

Next - in the annual staff rounders match:-
View attachment 161809

And finally - teaching us how to play tennis in the long hot summer of 1977:-
View attachment 161810
View attachment 161811
This is definitely Mr. Edwards who took P.E. Classes whilst I was at Summer Lane School 1959-1962. I remember him personally taking me to Cricket practice at Warwickshire Cricket Ground as part of being in the Summer Lane School Cricket Club.
I left St. George’s C of E junior School to go to Summer Lane School !.

Most pupils favourite teacher especially if you liked sport.
Many years after i left school i was having a social drink with Mr Reece ( another sport lover ) he told me that in his opinion Mr Edwards was the best teacher he ever worked with.

Most pupils favourite teacher especially if you liked sport.
Many years after i left school i was having a social drink with Mr Reece ( another sport lover ) he told me that in his opinion Mr Edwards was the best teacher he ever worked with.
Think Mr Reece was the science teacher at Summer Lane School?
Mr Creasy was my form and English teacher 1959-1962 (class 4.1 to 4.4) and I had great respect for him even at the age of 11-14 which is when I left school to go to work. Great memories of my happy school days!

Back