• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hunters Moon Castle Bromwich

One of the best summers I had. I remember Move, Flowers in the rain, Flowerpot men - lets go to san francisco. That was the Flower Power summer.

Yes it was mine too. In my memory it seems that every night we walked down to the Hunters it was a beautiful sunny evening(which it obviously wasn't) anticipating an evening of non stop dancing and hoping the lads we had our eye on were there!!! I think we were lucky that we had somewhere to go that didn't cost a fortune but got you out of the house. I can hear my mom now telling me to beware of "them druggers" as the media would have you believe every teenager was taking some form of substance. Great happy memories.

Hello all

I am Dave Goulden I worked behind the Bar for a few years for Margret and Alf, great to work for, I gave away more beer than I sold !!! especially mid week when my mates were broke !!!! we were also allowed to drink behind the Bar !!!! this was around 1975 to 1978 then new gaffers came in and Margret and Alf moved to a Pub in Earlswood, I worked in the Sunday strip when Jim Davidson was the comedian in between the strippers Nick Nick was his nick name then on the night for the Disco does any one remember me ????

Merry Christmas to all.

I read all the posts with interest, especially this one from Bilboc, it was my Mum and Dad, Harry and Diana Price that kept the Hunters Moon form 1966 to 1975, they moved there with myself and my younger brother in 66, i would have been 8 at the time and my brother 3, it was my Dad Harry that initiated the change of the then 'smoking room' to the first Discoteque in the country at the time, called the Safari Discoteque, all the walls were painted with wild animals in UV ink and when the UV lights were switched on they all glowed, as did all the guys white shirts, and the ladies white underwear im sure ! there were numerous problems in the early days with local youths fighting each other, the police were called almost every evening i recall, i have some evening mail cuttings that my late mum kept, the worst incident was when a police panda car was overturned and some cut and bruised police too ! after a year it was closed and converted into the first Caberet Retaurant in the country i believe, there were shows 6 nights a week and the infamous Stag show on sunday mornings, when you could come and watch 'blue' comedians and several 'ladies' removing thier clothing every week ! the queue to get in first and get the front row tables stared about an hour before we opened i recall, the bar staff had to pull off about 100 pints to keep up with the rush of Bitter and brown of milds on the bar i recall ! after the sucess of the shows a couple of years later we closed for another complete refurb, the room was extended out the back in an L shape and a new stage was built with an all new state of the art lighting and sound system (which i was lucky to operate every evening at the age of 13 !) some very happy memories there, including many Weddings for local people that were catered for in the 60's on saturdays, there must be plenty of local couples in thier 60's and 70's now that had thier wedding thier at the time..

what became of harry price and barry herrick from hunters moon pub,,it was a fantastic venue in the 70s ,,did harry take on a new pub,,,he was a top manager,, and barry was a top compare, regards john griffin,

Just seen this thread. Had some great times in the Hunters Moon both at the Sunday lunchtimes and the Cabaret nights. I don't recall the name of the compere, it may have been the guy mentioned in JohnGriff's post, but he was the tops, really talented. One night stands out in my mind, my wife and I together with another couple went to see Paul Melba (Anyone remember him?) and at the end of his act I was clapping so hard my wedding ring flew off across the other side of the room.
Very embarrassing rushing over to try and recover it.

I read all the posts with interest, especially this one from Bilboc, it was my Mum and Dad, Harry and Diana Price that kept the Hunters Moon form 1966 to 1975, they moved there with myself and my younger brother in 66, i would have been 8 at the time and my brother 3, it was my Dad Harry that initiated the change of the then 'smoking room' to the first Discoteque in the country at the time, called the Safari Discoteque, all the walls were painted with wild animals in UV ink and when the UV lights were switched on they all glowed, as did all the guys white shirts, and the ladies white underwear im sure ! there were numerous problems in the early days with local youths fighting each other, the police were called almost every evening i recall, i have some evening mail cuttings that my late mum kept, the worst incident was when a police panda car was overturned and some cut and bruised police too ! after a year it was closed and converted into the first Caberet Retaurant in the country i believe, there were shows 6 nights a week and the infamous Stag show on sunday mornings, when you could come and watch 'blue' comedians and several 'ladies' removing thier clothing every week ! the queue to get in first and get the front row tables stared about an hour before we opened i recall, the bar staff had to pull off about 100 pints to keep up with the rush of Bitter and brown of milds on the bar i recall ! after the sucess of the shows a couple of years later we closed for another complete refurb, the room was extended out the back in an L shape and a new stage was built with an all new state of the art lighting and sound system (which i was lucky to operate every evening at the age of 13 !) some very happy memories there, including many Weddings for local people that were catered for in the 60's on saturdays, there must be plenty of local couples in thier 60's and 70's now that had thier wedding thier at the time..
Just seen this thread. Had some great times in the Hunters Moon both at the Sunday lunchtimes and the Cabaret nights. I don't recall the name of the compere, it may have been the guy mentioned in JohnGriff's post, but he was the tops, really talented. One night stands out in my mind, my wife and I together with another couple went to see Paul Melba (Anyone remember him?) and at the end of his act I was clapping so hard my wedding ring flew off across the other side of the room.
Very embarrassing rushing over to try and recover it.
paul melba was a great act,,,he worked all the top northern clubs ,today he is based in spain, i saw him at the hunters moon and the cresta club, he should of been a big star,,,,,,,barry herrick was always the compere on my visits to the moon,he was very good,,,paul was a big friend of ken dodd rip.

Great Days, we were there when it first opened - about1965. There with the Maryland Mob of mates. I set fire to a girls head there once, shouldn't try to dance whilst smoking, her hair was backcombed and heavily lacquered - no damage and accepted my apology. Didn't get very far that night! Maryland Mob:- Royston Taylor, Colin Merritt (me), Dave Millership, Bob Shelley, Paul Cruise, Dave Walton, Rob Facer, Ken Sims, Gary Fawcett. Great Disco;s, mates & girls. Don't remember much trouble there in those days!!

My Mom used to work at The Hunters Moon , late 50's early sixties and was there for the opening of the 'new' pub after the fire. I think it was run by Ben and Ivy Fisher in those days. Does anyone else remember the nursery that used to be behind the wooden pub in the late 50's?
Hi Ray, I am Ken Fisher, and my parents ran the old pub and then opened the new one. Unfortunately my day was heartbroken when his gammy leg finally let him down, and he had to retire to running an off-licence, only a few months after opening the new pub. Watching the construction of the new pub inspired me to become an architect. Yes I remember the nursery. There were a lot of them around in those days, but few. remain.

Hi Ray, I am Ken Fisher, and my parents ran the old pub and then opened the new one. Unfortunately my day was heartbroken when his gammy leg finally let him down, and he had to retire to running an off-licence, only a few months after opening the new pub. Watching the construction of the new pub inspired me to become an architect. Yes I remember the nursery. There were a lot of them around in those days, but few. remain.
Hi Ken, Ray is my husbands name, my maiden name was Sue Bowen and parents were Anne and George. Fond memories of your Mom and Dad, when my sister and I used to stay in the flat in our pyjamas when our parents were both working. Somewhere I still have a silk pyjama case that your Mom made for me one Christmas and also some dolls clothes. Would love to see any photos from around that time xx

Hi Sue remember you and your sister and your Mom & Dad well, the Polo man, always gave us kids a polo when walking down the road

Hi Sue remember you and your sister and your Mom & Dad well, the Polo man, always gave us kids a polo when walking down the road
Hi Martin, nice to hear from you xx Remember your folks too and your sister. Happy days in Millington Road! Hope you're all keeping well xx Don't think Dad ever went anywhere without the trusty pack of mints in his pocket xx

Thank you for that, must admit though there were never ever many children in the road some used to ask him for a Polo which was never right and. A few years ago i had not been back to the road for many many years and walking the full length of the road remembering people who lived there, thats were the Rookes lived there the Browns Mrs Mahoney next to you and her sister the Packwoods up the road then the friends who i played with, but could not live there now, read there has been drug raids in Oakdale, sexual predator Jailed from Shawsdale,the old ones would turn in their graves very sad

Thank you for that, must admit though there were never ever many children in the road some used to ask him for a Polo which was never right and. A few years ago i had not been back to the road for many many years and walking the full length of the road remembering people who lived there, thats were the Rookes lived there the Browns Mrs Mahoney next to you and her sister the Packwoods up the road then the friends who i played with, but could not live there now, read there has been drug raids in Oakdale, sexual predator Jailed from Shawsdale,the old ones would turn in their graves very sad
They certainly would! Not sure if I have got this right but did you take my Mom to Heartlands following the ambulance when my Dad had a heart attack?

Thats right, i did take her and waited until you or your sister arrived
In the days when neighbours looked out for each other xx Thank you xx
It's 29 years this month since we lost Dad. It was such a shock! But Dad always feared illness and he would have known nothing about it! For that I will always be thankful xx Do you remember Les Brown? He ended up in a home with Dementure and Dad would visit him - being like Les was always his biggest fear! We had Mom until she was 89 but unfortunately at 78 she had a big stroke. That was when we sold Millington Road and Mom lived with us xx I know that Dad would never have coped with Mom being unwell and so glad he didn't have to see it all.
It all seems like yeaterday and yet here I am, a Grandma myself xx

Back