• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Can anyone identify or make any educated guesses about this gentleman?

rabbit_biscuit

knowlegable brummie
I realise this is a very long shot (and please forgive me if this is posted in the wrong category; I'm a newbie here), but can anyone make any educated guesses about who this gentleman is, or what his age, occupation, etc etc might have been?

The only information I have is the photographer's name on the back -- From the studio of J. Sunderland, 10, The Arcade, Birmingham. I'm presuming the photo was taken some time between 1880 to 88?

He does appear to be wearing a kind of uniform? With an unusual sort of button or badge? Or perhaps it's just a very nice peacoat. Well, if anyone has any ideas, I'm very much obliged :)

Attachments

• rrr.jpg
    rrr.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 129
I wonder if he is wearing a police or tram worker uniform ? Maybe around age 40- 50 ? But beards can be very aging ! Viv

just beat me to it viv...i also wondered if it was a police or tram worker...i would lean towards tram but cant be certain

lyn

I wonder if he is wearing a police or tram worker uniform ? Maybe around age 40- 50 ? But beards can be very aging ! Viv
Yes they can haha.. Thank you so much! You see, I think I might actually have a photograph of this same gentleman when he was younger; he looked to be in his 30s there, and going by the photographer dates, this could be 25 to 30 years later.

I did think of policeman, or even something military.. I wish I could find out if that button has any significance.

just a feeling no more than that....i wonder if you could post the other photo you have please also is this man a family member...thanks

lyn
No, he's not; o dear, I hope that's not a problem?
I collect antique photographs and certain sitters especially interest me.

Not sure if this is any help but this is a photo of ancestor Thomas Pierpoint 1871 - 1944 in his police uniform. Seems to have a top button in the right place!

Thomas Pierpoint 1871-1944.jpg

Not sure if this is any help but this is a photo of ancestor Thomas Pierpoint 1871 - 1944 in his police uniform. Seems to have a top button in the right place!
Ooh yes, thank you! Though mine doesn't have the typical officer's numbers on the collar; perhaps they're just not very visible.

Looking at the photograph, I'd say he was wearing some kind of patterned shirt with what appears to be an ornamental button at the top. It doesn't look like a uniform the big button has three of its holes clearly visible and uniform buttons tend to have loops at the back. From the other pictures of policemen, I doubt he's one of them if only because none of them wear a beard.

Looking at the photograph, I'd say he was wearing some kind of patterned shirt with what appears to be an ornamental button at the top. It doesn't look like a uniform the big button has three of its holes clearly visible and uniform buttons tend to have loops at the back. From the other pictures of policemen, I doubt he's one of them if only because none of them wear a beard.
Yes, the holes in the button were puzzling; policemen's buttons seemed mostly solid. Yet the top looks so dark and high-collared -- it just seemed uniform-y.

No, he's not; o dear, I hope that's not a problem?
I collect antique photographs and certain sitters especially interest me.
no not a problem at all...its just that if he was a family member from those times and we had a family name we may have been able to trace the name to what he did for a living...

lyn

I’m now wondering if the “Arcade” address of Sunderland’s the photographers was in GW Arcade across the road from Snow Hill Station ? Can someone check in directories please ? Viv.

Last edited:
no not a problem at all...its just that if he was a family member from those times and we had a family name we may have been able to trace the name to what he did for a living...

lyn
Ah yes, I wish to goodness I did know his name -- WHY didn't he write it down haha

The other photo I have he's just wearing a suit, with a coat, vest and tie -- he looks like a teacher there or chemist or something lol.. Bearing in mind of course I'm only about 96.75423% sure it's him. But I'm pretty sure it is because of face structure etc. If you're still interested in seeing it I'll post it when I've had time to take a picture.

A lot of brass buttons from that period seem to feature embossed designs - particularly on a uniform. He could just be wearing a posh jacket and not be related to a uniform.

yes please when time permits would love to see the other photo as it may help with the mystery

lyn

Back