• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cross Keys Inn, Station Road, Erdington

florence butler

master brummie
Hello there,

Does anyone have connections with the Butler family who owned the Cross Keys Inn between c.1867 to 1892?

Also William and Sarah Butler, Park Road & Frederick Road, Aston c.1881 to 1905.

Thank you, Florence

The Cross Keys must have at one time been remodelled/rebuilt. This postcard (sorry no date) shows a very different frontage to the later pub. (Second photo that I posted on the Sign Service Erdington thread).

Viv.

View attachment 145158

View attachment 145159
I've seen the modern image a number of times, but the date is wrong. The car waiting at the junction is a Hillman Hunter, which wasn't launched in the UK till 1966, so the photo must have been taken 1066 onwards

That’s wishful thinking a clapped-out pub. I wonder if the planners have given it change of use.

According to an article in the Birmingham Mail Saturday 17th April 2021 :

Last orders were called in 2017 and the property was previously marketed for £550,000 but the agents, Mason Young Property Consultants confirmed there had been no demand to reopen it up as a drinking spot, and the only interest had come from developers either wanting to bulldoze it or convert it for housing.
An application to turn it into a hostel was registered with Birmingham City Council last June but on Monday (April 12), the shell was back on the market with Online Property Agent.

I did a quick look on planning applications but nothing seemed to be there other than the outstanding application for a hostel..

I remember seeing a map dated 1820 and the pub was there then. The map concerned the parish church which I think was completed in 1824. I wondered whether the road being turnpiked had any bearing on this pub being built but I have a note as follows:

A Turnpike Act was passed in from Birmingham in respect of the Chester Road, but it was not until 1807 that a similar act was passed covering the road from Birmingham through Erdington Village. This was on the route from Bristol to the North of England.

As the Cross Keys was very near to the centre of Erdington village it was probably there long before this. Very sad if it goes the way of many other old pubs in Erdington.

I remember seeing a map dated 1820 and the pub was there then. The map concerned the parish church which I think was completed in 1824. I wondered whether the road being turnpiked had any bearing on this pub being built but I have a note as follows:

A Turnpike Act was passed in from Birmingham in respect of the Chester Road, but it was not until 1807 that a similar act was passed covering the road from Birmingham through Erdington Village. This was on the route from Bristol to the North of England.

As the Cross Keys was very near to the centre of Erdington village it was probably there long before this. Very sad if it goes the way of many other old pubs in Erdington.
I have always understood that pubs named the Cross Keys are usually to be found next to/nearby churches.

I have always understood that pubs named the Cross Keys are usually to be found next to/nearby churches.
Tinpot, I thought that too but despite being next to the Abbey church it apparently pre-dates it. I referred to Google to see if I could find anything out and this came up:

CROSS KEYS (22) Crossed keys are the symbols of St Peter, the apostle of Jesus who traditionally guards the gates of Heaven. ... This sign is a symbol of English nationalism and grew popular as a pub name after the English Civil War in the 17th century.

I shall be going to the library in Sutton as soon as it's open and I'll see if there are any older maps to look at. I'll add the Cross Keys to my list.

According to an article in the Birmingham Mail Saturday 17th April 2021 :

Last orders were called in 2017 and the property was previously marketed for £550,000 but the agents, Mason Young Property Consultants confirmed there had been no demand to reopen it up as a drinking spot, and the only interest had come from developers either wanting to bulldoze it or convert it for housing.
An application to turn it into a hostel was registered with Birmingham City Council last June but on Monday (April 12), the shell was back on the market with Online Property Agent.

I did a quick look on planning applications but nothing seemed to be there other than the outstanding application for a hostel..
Hi, my brother used to drink in the Keys up until it closed. It had been struggling for customers for sometime before it closed. I was told that the owners wanted to turn it into flats but could not get planning permission. Will never open as a pub again and not sure what else it could be used for especially if planning is going to be a problem. Ken.

hi ken i have friends who also drank there until it closed...never been in this pub myself but it is sad to see it looking so forlorn and not used

lyn

hi ken i have friends who also drank there until it closed...never been in this pub myself but it is sad to see it looking so forlorn and not used

lyn
Hi Lyn, it is sad, my younger brother drank in there for many years and was very upset when it closed. Like you I had never been in there. My brother lives off Gravelly Lane and that was the pub he preferred.

Ken.

hi ken yes its very sad when a pub we feel comfortable in closes...alas over the last few years we are seeing more and more of what i call proper back street pubs closing and its only going to get worse...pubs used to be the hub of community spirit..everyone knew everyone else and was a great place to sit and put the world to rights..i was lucky enough to be able to spend time in such pubs both sides of the bar and sample the great atmosphere they had...

lyn

Two notices of sale; one in 1829 and the other in 1862. The 1829 ad is only two years after that in post #3. So soon after a sale? Or maybe it didn’t sell on that occasion. The 1862 adverts says “now transacting a good ale and liquor trade” so maybe it had been a struggling business.

Anyone know what an accustomed house is ? Viv.

DAD2ACFD-AA1F-4945-B527-1F541EB4D767.jpeg

C19A1863-2C43-4DCF-8C22-2DC94115D713.jpeg

Last edited:
There is a new planning application in (well 2020 but still awaiting a decision according to the planning website).

2020/02902/PAThe Cross Keys PH 15 High Street Erdington Birmingham B23 6RGChange of use of public house (Use Class A4) to a 15 bedroom hostel (Sui Generis)Registered16-04-2020

There is a new planning application in (well 2020 but still awaiting a decision according to the planning website).

2020/02902/PAThe Cross Keys PH 15 High Street Erdington Birmingham B23 6RGChange of use of public house (Use Class A4) to a 15 bedroom hostel (Sui Generis)Registered16-04-2020
thanks jan that confirms info on post 12 looks like it was turned down

lyn

Not sure it does Lyn - application for flats turned down prior to this application being submitted. (I did see that one on the list). This one is still on the "awaiting decision" list. However, I don't know how up to date the planning site is.

Back