• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Stechford Area

I did too! I was a Pathfinder at around that time. Gordon's wife was formerly Jean Sutton; she had younger twin sisters who also used to come to 'Club'. Did you ever go to Losehill hall in Derbyshire, with the group? It was my first 'holiday' and I absolutely loved it.
Now you mention it I remember it was Jean. She was a small woman & Gordon was quite big. I didn't go to Losehill. Myself & friends who went to the club were probably in the older group. We enjoyed playing table tennis & dancing to scratchy records played on the old record player. We went to Blackpool a couple of times from there to see the lights. Always had a good time.

You remember the same people as I do. I couldn't remember whether it was Meegan or Keegan but he did go on to be Head. He had a glass eye and it fell out one day when we were doing sports so we were all scrabbling round to find it! Delina's sister Larraine & I were great friends. She had another 2 sisters & a brother. Gary Phipps had a brother named Stephen who became a proper Mod as he got older. I'd forgotten about Dermot Murray. Mickey Reagan broke a lot of hearts & was always getting into some sort of trouble! (That's why Mrs Reagan had a go at Mr Murray - one of many times.) He worked at Alcan with my Dad for a while. They lived on Swancote Road. Where about did you live & what was your surname? I lived in Betley Grove off Bushbury Road. My Mom worked at the Co-Op greengrocers for a few years. Other names that I remember are Mary & Janet Davies who had an older brother Phillip (?), Susan (Killeen)? Her Mom had a clothes shop called "Susan's" in Lea Village, Bernard O'Brien. I think Glen Nicholls was there about the same time as you. Glen's sister Janette & I are still very good friends. She now lives in Australia.
We lived just of Church Lane in Gillscroft Rd. Did Janet Davies have leg braces? The other names don't mean anything to me though. The Nicholls ring a bell - did they live near Crossfield Rd? My friend Marie Deeney lived that way and I think janette might have been a friend of her sister Cathy. Happy days!

We lived just of Church Lane in Gillscroft Rd. Did Janet Davies have leg braces? The other names don't mean anything to me though. The Nicholls ring a bell - did they live near Crossfield Rd? My friend Marie Deeney lived that way and I think janette might have been a friend of her sister Cathy. Happy days!
Yes Janet Davies did have leg braces. The name Deeney rings a bell. Did you live by Diane Walker & Jane (?) & Harry Purton?

Its been great reading all this, I live in Telford these days, I am a Drakeley from 23 The Lea, Kitts Green. Does anyone remember my dads privet hedge? it was a horse and jockey with a few curl after. It came close to causing a few accidents because of drivers looking at it as they passed. I went to Lea Village boys, we used to get out of school and run to Stechford baths (about 1.4 miles) because it was free until 4.30. In those days they had a springboard which was good fun.

Yes Janet Davies did have leg braces. The name Deeney rings a bell. Did you live by Diane Walker & Jane (?) & Harry Purton?
Ha ha Busted! I am Diane Walker! Harry and Jane were my opposite neighbours and we kids & our moms spent lots of time together. Harry was a couple of years older than me and Jane, 4 years younger. So, come on annemt - tell me your name.

Ha ha Busted! I am Diane Walker! Harry and Jane were my opposite neighbours and we kids & our moms spent lots of time together. Harry was a couple of years older than me and Jane, 4 years younger. So, come on annemt - tell me your name.
I knew it! Don’t know if you remember me but I’m Anne Ashby. Our parents were pretty friendly as well. Always knew your Mom as little Winnie Walker. My Mom Annie was only small as well. If I remember rightly, Ann Parsons lived by you as well & Marie O’Connor’s family next to Church Lane clinic. Where are you living now? We’re up in Lancashire. Small world.

Yes, yes and yes! I definitely remember you Anne - your few years older than me made you seem so sophisticated and left me in awe! I remember you ordering a Sam and Dave L.P. from my mom - she worked in a record warehouse at that time! I'd never heard of them of course! Strange what you do remember! I certainly remember your mom and dad (Bill?) too. There was another girl and her mom who used to join us at the bus stop for school and mass - I think she lived by you - her name was Catherine I think - long plaits; she'd been very ill as a young child...
Anne Parsons lived on North Roundhay and, I met her a couple of years back and she still lived on Church Lane.
The Greenfields lived next to the O'Connors. I think Jeanette went to BK - or maybe Martineau...
I am in Sutton Coldfield so not a million miles from where I started. Whereabouts in Lancs are you? Do you ever come back to Brum? The Glebe would, I think, be unrecognisable to you now but the city is fab - not that anyone has seen much of it over the last year! It's so lovely to have had this contact Anne - happy memories!

Yes, yes and yes! I definitely remember you Anne - your few years older than me made you seem so sophisticated and left me in awe! I remember you ordering a Sam and Dave L.P. from my mom - she worked in a record warehouse at that time! I'd never heard of them of course! Strange what you do remember! I certainly remember your mom and dad (Bill?) too. There was another girl and her mom who used to join us at the bus stop for school and mass - I think she lived by you - her name was Catherine I think - long plaits; she'd been very ill as a young child...
Anne Parsons lived on North Roundhay and, I met her a couple of years back and she still lived on Church Lane.
The Greenfields lived next to the O'Connors. I think Jeanette went to BK - or maybe Martineau...
I am in Sutton Coldfield so not a million miles from where I started. Whereabouts in Lancs are you? Do you ever come back to Brum? The Glebe would, I think, be unrecognisable to you now but the city is fab - not that anyone has seen much of it over the last year! It's so lovely to have had this contact Anne - happy memories!
Yes Mom was Annie & Dad Bill. I’ve forgotten your Dad’s name.

You’ve got it right about Sam & Dave. I also had a Tempations LP & a Motown compilation at the same time. They were Christmas presents. Still have them now but they’re awfully scratched - think they got played too much! Have to admit I still love the old Motown etc. they remind me of places like The Mackadown & The Swan.

The last time we were round the Glebe was about 7 years ago just before we moved up here to Aughton (Ormskirk). It was an absolutetip not the place where we grew up. It’s such a shame as there are so many good memories of growing up round The Glebe.

It’d be good to keep in touch if possible. Can we do it through this site or messenger? I’m still finding my way around it!

For now, take care & stay safe.

You’ve got it right about Sam & Dave. I also had a Tempations LP & a Motown compilation at the same time. They were Christmas presents. Still have them now but they’re awfully scratched - think they got played too much! Have to admit I still love the old Motown etc. they remind me of places like The Mackadown & The Swan.

The last time we were round the Glebe was about 7 years ago just before we moved up here to Aughton (Ormskirk). It was an absolutetip not the place where we grew up. It’s such a shame as there are so many good memories of growing up round The Glebe.

It’d be good to keep in touch if possible. Can we do it through this site or messenger? I’m still finding my way around it!

Forgot to say you’re right about Catherine but I can’t remember her surname. She lived on Swancote Road by the Reagans.

Like you, I'm not that familiar with this site and messaging. Are you on Facebook? I think that if we become 'friends' on there, we could then use messenger. Let me know your name, if you are and we can go from there.

Like you, I'm not that familiar with this site and messaging. Are you on Facebook? I think that if we become 'friends' on there, we could then use messenger. Let me know your name, if you are and we can go from there.
Yes I’m just Anne Thompson. Photo is me wearing a stripey top & holding a little blond haired girl. There’s also a birthday cake on photo.

Yes I’m just Anne Thompson. Photo is me wearing a stripey top & holding a little blond haired girl. There’s also a birthday cake on photo.
Just looked at photo - I’d forgotten older Granddaughter was on it as well! Naughty Nanny.

If you click the envelope icon on the top right-hand corer, you can sent each other private messages with our “Start Conversation” facility.

Messinger.JPG

I remember a Barry Turvey from Old Farm Road. He was at Audley Road School with me. As we grew up some of us girls thought him quite a looker!
He was a bit older than me and I only remember finding him a bit scary ha ha! I've no idea why.

So lovely to find this website and have a trip down memory lane. I grew up in Stechford and left in 1978. My grandparents lived in Kitts Green Road, so we regularly stopped off at the library in Glebe Farm. We fished for tiddlers in the river Cole and looked forward to the fair coming on the ground just round the corner from The Bull (I think it was). I spent many a happy hour at the swimming pool - remember free passes for swimming?

It's fabulous to see these old pictures. It was a treat to get chips from the chip shop near The Atlas and I remember my Mom buying me pumps from the shop that doubled up as a pawn shop.

Does anyone remember the terrible train crash in the 60s? I remember seeing it on the way home from school.

Also I lost my 'magic purse' that I had made at school somewhere on the walk home down that hill (Station Rd) - I spent years keeping an eye open ha ha!

There was a shoe shop at the bottom of the hill Warrenders or something like that? That's where we got our school shoes.

Edit: Wow - just looked at the first post in this thread and there is Warrenders! I can't believe I remembered the name correctly!!
I worked at Glebe Farm Library. First ly 1969 - 73 then 80 - 82. Maybe I was there when you used it.

Thank you. Just tried it but it tells me I can’t start a conversation with the recipient. Tried it earlier & got the same message.
this is most likely because the recipient has opted not to receive private messages so will have to change their privacy settings and click on allow members to send messages

lyn

I had also been wondering this. It looks like there is another road on the left behind the girls.
I remember there were a lot of horse chestnuts around Lyttleton Rd. (My brother broke his arm falling out of one! )

Is Corpus Christi School still there?

I've been really enjoying people's memories on here :)
I remember the lovely trees on Lyttleton Road when we walked up there to mass at Corpus Christi. As far as I know the school is still there.

Diane, What’s your surname? I’ll look you up on FB. I’ve tried sending a message on here but think you need to change your settings.

Anne, I've been through all the links and can't find the photo you describe, sorry. I don't know how the algorithm works but maybe if you log on, it might lift you to nearer The top of the list... I'll look again tomorrow

Anne, I've been through all the links and can't find the photo you describe, sorry. I don't know how the algorithm works but maybe if you log on, it might lift you to nearer The top of the list... I'll look again tomorrow
Okey dokey Diane. Let me know how you get on.

Try Anne Thompson Birmingham. I’ve just tried that & it worked.
So sorry Anne but I have trawled through several times and also attached the city but still no luck! Maybe you have a look for me? My pic isn't of me but is a 'Be Kind' poster - hopefully easier to spot .

So sorry Anne but I have trawled through several times and also attached the city but still no luck! Maybe you have a look for me? My pic isn't of me but is a 'Be Kind' poster - hopefully easier to spot .
Are you still Walker?

Back