• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

I found that. Think they must have been same side but opposite end to where the pub was. So unmarked building and then the first warehouse.

Nostalgia overload! #1716, my kid brother worked there at that time, #1717 I went to school about one hundred yards from there 1951-56, and #1719 Lived across the road from there 1968-75, and worked nearby 1958-1970!

Last edited:
Here is Broad Street and Granville Street, with Lee Longlands - possibly the only recognisable building - and such a wide variety of vehicles and a variety of parking locations. A 360 these days produces hardly anything of character. I am sure someone will throw light on what the building in the centre was please

View attachment 157140
Lee Longlands still there but corner has changed greatly. What a pity.

Attachments

• Broad Street - 2021.JPG
    Broad Street - 2021.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 25
Next back to black and white - again no date or location but the building and names must be recognisable to some. Is that a bit of ironwork behind the Bryant sign?
apparently we are at the end of the zone whatever that was . Note also the security on the building site - there is a child using the scaffolding as a climbing frame!
EDIT : Spear Brothers and Clark - Freeman Street, near Moor Street - thanks everyone

View attachment 157141
This is Freeman Street today - nothing left as the building at the end (The Fox and Grapes) has also gone now.

Attachments

• Freeman St - 2021.JPG
    Freeman St - 2021.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 22
24 Holyhead Road 1975, not much to see part of the Emmanuel Hall - not the interesting Chimney Supports and leaded widows downstairs. Apparently Holyhead Way runs to the side but the does not look much there apart from the Fabric manufacturers and CETOMAC.

View attachment 157192
Holyhead way seems to have vanished but the re-vamped Emmanuel Hall is still there.

Attachments

• 24 Holyhead Road - 2021.JPG
    24 Holyhead Road - 2021.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 12
This is Kennings Garage Bradford Street in 1976, nice and clean BP garage with a big Rover sat on the road outside. Love the little petrol kiosk and the oil dispenser in front of it and open 24 hours - quite unusual for back then I suppose.

View attachment 157193
No "now " view at the moment as I don't know the street well enough to know where the garage was and the phone book helpfully just says Bradford Street.

Here we have the Cobden Hotel on the Hagley Road in 1972. Note the big RAC sign by the entrance and the 2* AA sign in the trees. there are a couple of different building styles and the nose of a Jaguar in the car park.

View attachment 157194
Several views here as this bit still exists but the hotel has been extended. Too much for one view.

Attachments

• Cobden Hotel Hagley Road (new) - 2021.JPG
    Cobden Hotel Hagley Road (new) - 2021.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Cobden Hotel Hagley Road (Old) - 2021.JPG
    Cobden Hotel Hagley Road (Old) - 2021.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Cobden Hotel Hagley Road (view) - 2021.JPG
    Cobden Hotel Hagley Road (view) - 2021.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 14
Next is the railway bridge on Sandy Lane in 1976, cigarettes are now 37 and a half pence. sorry I caanot narrow it down any further.

View attachment 157195
A tricky one as Sandy Lane no longer exists.
This is the site of the bridge over what is now Bordesley Middleway.
I used this site to find its whereabouts. If you slide the large blue dot on the bottom right you will go rom the old map to a modern overhead view.
Sandy Lane Bridge

Attachments

• Rail bridge Sandy Lane- 2021.JPG
    Rail bridge Sandy Lane- 2021.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 26
Last one for today corner of Amington Road and 305 Stockfield Road in 1971, fine cast road sign on its ornate pillar, and a JET garage next door and an Ansells Bittermen advert.

View attachment 157196
Slightly different angle as I wanted the Amington Road sign clearly in shot so had to go back to 2019 as it is "fuzzed out" on the 2020 shot

Attachments

• 305 Stockfiield Road -2021.JPG
    305 Stockfiield Road -2021.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 18
more recent one looking up freeman st from park st..the fox and grapes pub was on the right corner

Is that area going to be something to do with HS2?
I'm a bit out of date with the Birmingham developments as I'm much closer to the London end of it.

Is that area going to be something to do with HS2?
I'm a bit out of date with the Birmingham developments as I'm much closer to the London end of it.
hi sparks when i was involved with trying to save the fox and grapes pub i used to attend all of the HS2 meetings to plead my case..fell on deaf ears of course but looking at the original plans which could have changed they showed that platform 6 is to be on the site of the pub...i still say that they could have incorporated the pub within the station and it was considered but in the end they decided the pub had to go..shame really as i am in no doubt that having a pub of that age and given its history it would certainly have pulled the punters in ...sad to say i have long given up with the powers that be wanting to preserve this citys history...moan over

lyn

Last edited:
Yes, I know what you mean @Astoness I'm afraid this happens everywhere now - down here in London too. We've been trying to save the old Whitechapel Bell Foundry from being turned into a 'boutique' hotel and lost the Appeal recently - very sad as a Heritage group were willing to take it on and put it back into production.
Well done for trying anyway, that's all we can do.

Yes, I know what you mean @Astoness I'm afraid this happens everywhere now - down here in London too. We've been trying to save the old Whitechapel Bell Foundry from being turned into a 'boutique' hotel and lost the Appeal recently - very sad as a Heritage group were willing to take it on and put it back into production.
Well done for trying anyway, that's all we can do.
i agree sparks...there are so many people who complain about the loss of our wonderful buildings but very few will actually stand up and try to save them...so sorry you lost the appeal to keep the bell foundry as it was but at least you can turn round and say you tried...

lyn

A tricky one as Sandy Lane no longer exists.
This is the site of the bridge over what is now Bordesley Middleway.
I used this site to find its whereabouts. If you slide the large blue dot on the bottom right you will go rom the old map to a modern overhead view.
Sandy Lane Bridge
Here's the same bridge but this time looking from the Coventry road/ Watery lane junction.

Attachments

• Waterl1.jpg
    Waterl1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 39
Just a quick visit may be on later - with all the redevelopment around Perry Barr thought I would post this picture to show that it is nothing new.
As you can see plenty of H&S in action - can you imagine hanging one handed off the ironwork these days.

Nice selection line of buses and is that a Commer lorry ? There is a Midland Red bus in the distance also.
For those from the South this is Birchfield Road underpass under construction - it is currently in the process of ben rebuilt for the Commonwealth Games
Test243 1.jpg

Nostalgia overload! #1716, my kid brother worked there at that time, #1717 I went to school about one hundred yards from there 1951-56, and #1719 Lived across the road from there 1968-75, and worked nearby 1958-1970!
Glad it brought back some memories for you

No "now " view at the moment as I don't know the street well enough to know where the garage was and the phone book helpfully just says Bradford Street.
Try Alcester Street / Bradford Street then head north, City Centre Care car on the right has the correct roof line - If I knew how to work these things I would post it myself

thanks

Back