• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rowlands bakery ownership

S

sunshine

I saw mention of Rowlands Bakery some time ago.My grandfather was Philip Rowlands, he owned the bakery and lived at a house called Leaholme on Short Heath Road. He had 13 children, one was my mum and one my aunt who is the sole survivor aged 99. She is still bright and active, lives in her own house without social services help and is looking forward to her hundredth birthday. She was offered a helicopter ride to mark the occasion but turned it down after some thought- her friend said because it would mess up her hair!
I think the bakery was eventually sold to Allied bakeries- none of the family wanted to take it on.

Rowlands Bakery

Welcome to the best site on the internet, Sunshine your aunt sounds like a great Brummie, I love the tale of her not wanting to get her hair messed up in a helicopter. You must get her to tell you as much as she can remember of her life and your family before it is too late.

Welcome Sunshine:)

I use to help the rondsmen for years at Rowlands New John Street I wrote about it around two years ago.

Horse & Float in those days.

Hallo and welcome, Sunshine. I certainly remember Rowland's bakery, and the bread delivered by horse and cart. We lived on the fringe of Erdington, near Perry Common and Kingstanding, and I think we had Rowland's bread daily from before WW2 until I left Brum in 1959. The competitors around there as I remember were George Baines, from Finch Road, Handsworth, and the Co-op of course.
Peter

Hi Sunshine I remember Rowlands Bakery very well they used to have a place at the top end of John St by Aston Rd
I used live in that street when i was a kid.I don't know if i should tell you this but we to jump on to back of the horse and
and pinch the bread when they were returning to the bakery,
Regards Richard

Hi Sunshine I remember Rowlands Bakery very well they used to have a place at the top end of&nbsp; John St in Aston.I used live in that street when i was a kid.I don't if i should tell you this but we to jump on to back of the horse and <br>and pinch the bread&nbsp; when they were returning to the bakery,Regards Richard

I saw mention of Rowlands Bakery some time ago.My grandfather was Philip Rowlands, he owned the bakery and lived at a house called Leaholme on Short Heath Road. He had 13 children, one was my mum and one my aunt who is the sole survivor aged 99. She is still bright and active, lives in her own house without social services help and is looking forward to her hundredth birthday. She was offered a helicopter ride to mark the occasion but turned it down after some thought- her friend said because it would mess up her hair!
I think the bakery was eventually sold to Allied bakeries- none of the family wanted to take it on.

Hi I am new to this forum and think that Sunshine is speaking about my great grandfather Philip Rowlands who lived in Leaholme and owned Rowlands bakery. My father Paul Rowlands is the son of Stan Rowlands who was one of the thirteen children you mention. I have some photos of Philip Rowlands and Leaholme and the thirteen children. I think that makes you Sunshine my dad's cousin?

Hi I am new to this forum and think that Sunshine is speaking about my great grandfather Philip Rowlands who lived in Leaholme and owned Rowlands bakery. My father Paul Rowlands is the son of Stan Rowlands who was one of the thirteen children you mention. I have some photos of Philip Rowlands and Leaholme and the thirteen children. I think that makes you Sunshine my dad's cousin?
Hi Stella,
Philip Rowlands is my Great grandfather too. My Mum was the daughter of Doris one of his children. I have a photo with him and all the children. I would love to see some more pictures though

Welcome Sunshine:)

I use to help the rondsmen for years at Rowlands New John Street I wrote about it around two years ago.

Horse & Float in those days.
My dad worked for Rowlands bread with horse and cart about 1948 1953 onward his name was NORMAN WOOD (SPEEDY) The horse was called Mary Dad delivered by the fire station --gem street the City center

My dad worked for Rowlands Bakery I have attached a photo of him with his horse and cart on the Cherry Orchard estate Handsworth his name was Maurice Hughes

Attachments

• 97BF1970-A713-400A-846C-939F6160D26C.jpeg
    97BF1970-A713-400A-846C-939F6160D26C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
My dad worked for Rowlands Bakery I have attached a photo of him with his horse and cart on the Cherry Orchard estate Handsworth his name was Maurice Hughes
Who is the young lad !
Never gave this much thought but these guys must have had a special bond with the horses.
I heard the horses knew the route better than some of the guys and would know where to stop

Who is the young lad !
Never gave this much thought but these guys must have had a special bond with the horses.
I heard the horses knew the route better than some of the guys and would know where to stop

My dad was a milkman with a horse. He said the horse would walk forward by himself as he dropped the milk of at each house.

There was a comedy programme (or maybe a film) which featured a horse. The horse was commandeered to haul something, possibly a gun, but kept stopping as the journey apparently was on he milk round. :laughing: It could have been a Dad's Army programme.

Last edited:
Back