• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Music groups in pubs

Certainly wasn't us we didn't do Albertross and you would be hard pushed to find anyone that would say we were very good!
They didn't do Albatross either, you need three guitarists for that don't you?

They covered Fleetwood Mac material from the Buckingham - Nicks era, Rumours etc.

Very strange really i heard them do all these wonderful songs but didn't realise at the time

where they came from.

It was some years later when i saw Fleetwood Mac in concert that the penny dropped.

I went to see them expecting to hear Albatross, but as Mick said that was another band.

They didn't do Albatross either, you need three guitarists for that don't you?

They covered Fleetwood Mac material from the Buckingham - Nicks era, Rumours etc.

Very strange really i heard them do all these wonderful songs but didn't realise at the time

where they came from.

It was some years later when i saw Fleetwood Mac in concert that the penny dropped.

I went to see them expecting to hear Albatross, but as Mick said that was another band.
Yep another era we all went our separate ways in 69 for marriages and children etc. I can still recall my two moments of fame. I was 'loaned out' to another band for a couple of weeks in 67 and had a gig in the support act for 'the Baron Knights' on my return we had a gig as the support act for the Foundations at the Plaza Rookery Rd but we couldn't go on the 2nd half because their roadies had damaged our equipment, but good memories all the same

Brilliant what did you play? It's great fun playing in a band ain't it
I am the alto sax player that's the reason I left for America in 1957 to try to get into the big bands, it never happened I was not then a US Citz all union jobs. gave up glad I did I would have been dead years ago

I am the alto sax player that's the reason I left for America in 1957 to try to get into the big bands, it never happened I was not then a US Citz all union jobs. gave up glad I did I would have been dead years ago
Aye I know what you mean but full marks for trying to follow your dream

You know, thinking about all the bands that formed and played, maybe after the war, people wanted to relax have some fun, and dance away the horrors we went through, most of us just kids then. WE packed them in, every night we played and we certainly drank our fair share of beer! Happy times even if the pubs closed at 10 pm plus missing the last bus and having to walk home with our axes.

My old man Danny Williams played pubs and clubs all over Brum on his own, with others as duos and as part of full bands.
My father ( Roy Johnson b: 1937) played drums from the mid fifties to early sixties, annoyingly I don't know who for.
His younger cousin Graham Johnson also a drummer played for The Renegades based around Perry bar/ Erdington who went on to some fame in this country but were bigger hits in Finland / Italy from what I can glean from the net.

Looking at this thread and Scotchmist, I realized how many groups there were. Maybe my coming of age, late 50’s but we would go to many places on Friday and Saturday nights and later on Sunday. As Oldbrit said we drank a lot of beer, sometimes a little too much. Our thing was Trad and Modern Jazz. We loved to go to the town hall but that was a little pricey. We did go however when the really big names played there.

Back