• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Uniform c1915

You say your g grandfather was John Fox perhaps it might help if you could give the names of his wife and the children. The more you tell us the easier it is to help. Thanks.

They are living at 137 Charles Henry St in 1891, John & Emma and chldren.

Can solve the first marriage for Emma, she married Joseph Worthington 28 Dec 1874, St Stephen's Bham.

Other thing to note is John Fox is listed as Faulks on his marriage to Emma and at least two children are registered as Faulks (Frederick & Daisy).

Thank you Lyn. They have been a nightmare trying to work out where they lived, when and even marriage and deaths as John Fox was born in Yorks, moved to Stafford, apparently widowed there before marring my grt grandmother, also widowed. Constantly moved between Staffs, Worcs and Birmingham and still haven't been able to find a 1st marriage nor the death certificate for John Fox! Still, keeps me busy!!!
The John Fox on the 1891 census at 49 Dymoke Street has place of birth Aston not Yorkshire and there is only 1 child. .

Agree with MWS they are more likely to be the family in Charles Henry Street

Last edited:
Can solve the first marriage for Emma, she married Joseph Worthington 28 Dec 1874, St Stephen's Bham.

Other thing to note is John Fox is listed as Faulks on his marriage to Emma and at least two children are registered as Faulks (Frederick & Daisy).
The John Faulks marries an Emma Gilks so are we sure this is the right person?

Emma had at least one child with Joseph Worthington, an Elizabeth Jane who is living with an uncle and aunt (Joseph & Jane Forrestor) in 1881.

There are a John & Clara Fox living at 49 Dymock St in 1891, so if you've found them somewhere else (Charles Henry St?) then it's somebody else.
Thank you, not the John Fox I'm looking for. His wife was Emma but thank you for that as I now know that 49 Dymoke Street and Bix Buikdibgs are not the same place. X

Thought you might but some info depends on the sites you use for research so thought I would post. At least we know we have your John Fox with Emma.
Will now try to help with your other questions.

Thank you. I recently found this as well, the spelling of Faulks threw me. I have their marriage certificate and he is also showing as a widower, which is something else we never knew about. Still looking for the first marriage for him but I have it for Emma

That John is definitely not my grt grandfather as he was definitely born in Ardsley. The Fox family in Charles Henry St are ‘my’ Fox family. X

John Faulks marries Emma Worthington (nee Gilks), reg Jun qtr 1877. Children are listed as Faulks/Gilks, Fox/Gilks and Fox/Worthington.
Can’t believe how fast you all are at finding this info. It took me ages to get to the marriage if Emma and John. The spelling of Faulks threw me!

Is John Fox's father listed on his marriage to Emma? Witnesses significant?
Yes, William Faulks, Labourer. Both John and Emma are living at Marston Road, Stafford and they were married at Stafford Register Office. I have tried to find out what might have been in Marston Road as John is showing as a Male Nurse so thought perhaps some sort of hospital. However have come up with nothing but by 1881 he is describing himself as a tailor and living in Tenbury

Back