• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Scams: Telephone, email, texts, other 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is another side of the scam calls, since I started on my life of leisure, I notice that we get about four or five every morning as well as the little chap from Bangalore or wherever who wants o save me from the terrible virus that I have on my computer. Yesterday morning my wife answered the phone and immediately put it down. "Who was that, dearest" I asked from my prone position on the settee. " BT telling me they had a text SMS message for me, that's another scam is it?" I had experienced these messages in t he days when I slaved over a hot telephone and when she left the room to make my coffee and chocolate biscuit, I shot to the phone recalled the number and wait for it pressed 1 (Oh foolish youth) and listened and discovered it was the delivery time for a bed settee we were expecting. I explained what it was (and earned an extra choccy biscuit), but accepted that this was a form of communication that a lot of older people might not understand. Made a change from being chased by HMRC and Amazon, but it also leaves you wondering how the system works.

Bob

Well, the one time I received a "text" message verbally over the phone I found it soemwhat confusing, with , what was then, a funereal computer voice reciting words. with no expression. . "Texts" over an ordinary phone line are rather peculiar

Yes, they are peculiar.
When I was working I used to get one occasionally from my manager telling me he was running late as his train was cancelled or something similar!

Well, the one time I received a "text" message verbally over the phone I found it soemwhat confusing, with , what was then, a funereal computer voice reciting words. with no expression. . "Texts" over an ordinary phone line are rather peculiar
Yes it is always a robotic stilted voice
Bob

One to watch out for when calling your insurance, The AA, RAC etc.

Consumer group Which has discovered that premium-rate call services and claims management companies are paying to appear above insurers’ websites when people search for customer service phone numbers.

Premium-rate call services and claims management companies are paying to appear above insurers’ websites when people search for customer service phone numbers,

Read more here

i had a phone call from a scammer who pretended to be from amazon, the message said " your debit card has been used to pay £700 press 1 to get full information. i just hung up as i never had or will spend £700 on amazon.i gave the listed number to the police.

I had a Royal Mail scam text and a Royal Mail genuine text today. I had ordered a package so was expecting a delivery. The first text mentioned a parcel delivery problem and to open the link to sort it.

With my 'suspicious-old-fogey' mode on I didn't like the look of the first text and deleted it - the link looked suspicious.

The second text was about the package I had ordered with delivery slot time etc. It had a link to track the package.

A strange one here, one of my neighbours told me this morning that she had a call yesterday, she answered but could only hear her own voice as an echo so put it down and dialled 1471, wrote the number down

Later after thinking about it all day she dialled the number and it rang her own mobile phone. :confused: weird or what?

A strange one here, one of my neighbours told me this morning that she had a call yesterday, she answered but could only hear her own voice as an echo so put it down and dialled 1471, wrote the number down

Later after thinking about it all day she dialled the number and it rang her own mobile phone. :confused: weird or what?
Back in the 60s I seem to remember reading that this sort of thing meant your phone was being tapped !!
I am sure nowadays it would be done without anyone noticing

That sounds like she accidently dialled herself on her mobile. Easley one if you put the handset in your pocket with the keypad or screen not locked.

Phil,

Odd that you were actually expecting a parcel. Have the scammers got a fifth columnist working in Royal Mail?

Maurice :cool:

Coincidence I'm sure Maurice. Something similar happened to me a few weeks ago , but it waas supposed to have come from DHL, but the parcel I was expecting would have been Royal mail or Hermes, as those are the only people the firm uses (I checked)

It is indeed coincidence. The scammers are sending out millions of emails at a time in the hope that a few will land with people just at the right time and in the right circumstances.

Had an interesting scam call this morning. I have identified the area code as Washington State in the US. Spiel went as follows "Hi, we are conducting a survey to day. If you are registered as a Democrat please press 1, If you are registered as a Republican please press 2. If you are registered as an Independent please press 3." I would have loved to have had fun answereing that survey but there was no way that I was going to press any buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back