• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

111-120 Icknield Street, soon to be demolished

Hello Banjo, I went to Camden St junior and Secondary Modern. I do remember Ellen St school very well in those days. My friend went there, and she lived in Hingeston St. I lived just up the road from Stoddards butchers.

How sad to see one of old brums iconic streets, "Iknield Street, I really do wonder why they leave property's to rot in this way , instead of refurbishing them, sad.paul

Hi Paul,
And yes, it is sad to see the last few Shops so representative of earlier bustling times fall into decline to

finally fall taking their slice of the famous "Icknield Street's" history with them.

There was *the best of times, the worst of times* as in most Major City's, the famous Mint banging out coins for all over the World, plenty of work in the area but our GGparents suffering early deaths, Arsenic, mercury, "mekel" platers, anodising
ooh,,where there's muck there's money but always a down-side as now other emerging industrial Countries experience.

Those last few buildings probably epitomise the halcyon days, the times when the busy people, the noisy factories might even have disturbed their sleeping neighbours in Key Hill & Warstone Lane, but sadly , progress ? has to eventuate.

The only "Icknield Street" survivors are the B,ham Icknield Male Voice Choir formed 114 years ago & still going strong
so there is a brighter "tail" to this singular City's tale.
ooops, John Y

After a wander around the old Ashton&Moore factory this morning I went down the road to these shops/houses.

IMGP2382.jpg

IMGP2381.jpg

IMGP2380.jpg

IMGP2377.jpg

IMGP2376.jpg

IMGP2375.jpg

:sick:
IMGP2384.jpg

Does anyone know any history, or if they were ever back-to-backs? I didn't venture in too far in these, as there was fresh blood from druggies all over the place. Good job they're being pulled down this week I'd say!!
Do you still have the photos Wendy? They are not showing on your post anymore.

richard wendy is no longer a member but if you go to another icknield st thread i think the photo you want is on there...it could even show the pub you are interested in...click on link below

lyn

richard wendy is no longer a member but if you go to another icknield st thread i think the photo you want is on there...it could even show the pub you are interested in...click on link below

lyn

It looks to be the general area but I can't place the building itself.

Back