• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Perry Beeches Secondary School

One can only speak from personal experience and to me she was horrible and made me dread going to her class. She was the only teacher who made me feel like that. To others, who liked the subject, maybe she was different.
I loved Needlework with Mrs Baker, she had a young trainee Teacher with her. I did have advantage on lots of other girls with needlework as my Mom taught me to sew on an eletric sewing machine and make clothes from patterns as early as I can remember. I used to help out in the classroom showing other how to thread the machines. Mrs Baker wanted me to stay on to 6th form and go to college for dress making and the like. I learnt a lot from that class too and was privilged t use the Bernina Sewing machines too. Yes Mrs Baker had her off days but overall she taught so much to so many over her years. I will always remember her for her skill and knowledge.

One can only speak from personal experience and to me she was horrible and made me dread going to her class. She was the only teacher who made me feel like that. To others, who liked the subject, maybe she was different.
Hi Mary, I have just seen your posts. My husband used to go to Perry Beeches. He was there the same time as you. He doesn’t remember you , unfortunately but he remembers lots of the boys that you mention. The teachers he remembers too and the headmaster Mr Edge. Although it wasn’t my school, I think it is great that you can exchange memories like this. Kind-regards Sue.

I was there early 60s I remember having the cane from mr edge & Mr Caldicot can't rember what for but I suppose I had been misbehaving mr McShane English teacher got on OK with him I don't think my Shakespeare was much cop though had a good friend Alan Payne as a hole my few years there wasn't to bad regards to all Rob

These are great school photographs HarryR. My husband went to Perry Beeches from 1959 until 1964. He doesn’t recognise anyone except for the teachers. How I wish I had some of my school. Many thanks.
I totally agree with you Sue. Harry was so good to post the school photographs. I saw so many faces from my time at Perry Beeches, 1962-1966. Strange because as soon as I saw the faces the names of the students came straight back to me. I have spent many hours studying the pics and reliving some good memories. All thanks to HarryR. Jen.

I totally agree with you Sue. Harry was so good to post the school photographs. I saw so many faces from my time at Perry Beeches, 1962-1966. Strange because as soon as I saw the faces the names of the students came straight back to me. I have spent many hours studying the pics and reliving some good memories. All thanks to HarryR. Jen.
That’s great to hear Jen. I am always reliving my childhood memories. This forum is good for that. The lockdown and recovering from double fracture of my ankle has allowed me so much free time. What better way to look at all the different threads and wonderful photos of the past. My thanks to all concerned. Sue

I was at the school 1951 to 1954. I rarely see anyone posting from my 'age group' but then I am 82 now, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

My teacher was Mrs. Bland and I got on quite well with 'Edgie'. He made me a prefect and School Vice Captain. It made the passage through school slightly easier, but then I enjoyed my time there overall. I do remember some names of 'younger' ex-pupils. To mention a few, Georgina Chapman, Linda Rawlings, Valerie Smale (or Smail). Her brother, Alan, was a real good goalie! Graham Hick is a name I also find familiar, but mostly I remember the girls' names; I wonder why? :) You probably won't recall me, but my name is John Walker. I still live less than a mile and a half from the site of the old school. You might recall my sister, Jean Walker, but I think she was less popular with H.D. Edge! My sister Jean was there from 1956 to 1960, I think. Edgy seemed to expect my sister to be as malleable as was I! Not so!

John

Yes you could be worth a fortune Mary, however did we get away with wearing the mini skirt. Climbing the stairs on the bus was tricky. I can’t picture Mrs Baker, cruel teacher for saying nobody to help you, how are you supposed to learn? Happy days ay:joy::joy:. Jenny
There must be something about needlework teachers. When I was at Beeches the needlework teacher was Mrs Harris. She would shake you if you made a mistake and she was grumpy all of the time. Right job - wrong person. I made some knickers out of cotton dress material, most uncomfortable. I also made a yellow gingham dress which I loved.
I was hopeless at gym. I was awkward and hated it. I couldn't climb a robe or jump over the buck. I wasn't any good at anything but swimming which I loved.
I stayed until I was 16 doing typing and shorthand but only because my Mom insisted. As soon as I was 16 I was out. Got a job in an office and worked hard because I was interested. It paid off and I progressed slowly over the years, in between marrying and having my children. I do voluntary fundraising now for Charities so although I am now in my late 70's I am still working.
Avril.

Last edited:
I was at the school 1951 to 1954. I rarely see anyone posting from my 'age group' but then I am 82 now, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

My teacher was Mrs. Bland and I got on quite well with 'Edgie'. He made me a prefect and School Vice Captain. It made the passage through school slightly easier, but then I enjoyed my time there overall. I do remember some names of 'younger' ex-pupils. To mention a few, Georgina Chapman, Linda Rawlings, Valerie Smale (or Smail). Her brother, Alan, was a real good goalie! Graham Hick is a name I also find familiar, but mostly I remember the girls' names; I wonder why? :) You probably won't recall me, but my name is John Walker. I still live less than a mile and a half from the site of the old school. You might recall my sister, Jean Walker, but I think she was less popular with H.D. Edge! My sister Jean was there from 1956 to 1960, I think. Edgy seemed to expect my sister to be as malleable as was I! Not so!

John
John You must remember David Dixon - my brother -and his (later) wife Ethel McCoy. Both there when you were. I was there with your sister Jean. I liked her a lot., Everyone did. We went to camp together with the school. She was very gentle and quiet. Beautiful hair I remember. I had her number sometime ago but lost it and never got in touch. I hope she and you are both well and happy.
Avril.

Maryd....Thanks for the photo. Yoo hoo! There i am front row ..extreme right. I have an excellent memory for dates/numbers but not so hot on names but i think i can remember the following
boys in the photo....David Halley,John Greaves,Phillip Lambert, Andrew Hough..(guess at 12 y o girls wern,t of much interest *s*)
Yes..i do recall Leslie Randall,s actions...He also amazed us by naming every fielding position on the cricket field....He and Alan Glover were the "sports stars".. I got picked last for
sporting teams...How deflating to ones ego.
On reflection were most of us "All Bricks in the Wall"?
Can you remember when at assembly Harold or was it Arthur Caldicott introduced the first coloured boy to the school.
I wasn,t too sad to see the demise of the gym.....Colin Clews commando style lessons for all just because one boy had talked at the wrong time, and then the communial showers..
Sweaty bodies and luke warm water.....(Scarred for life!)
Also the time when we were actually allowed music to accompany those beaut army style lunches.......It was a local hero record...Steve Winwood playing to 300 of us banging
the cutlery in time to the music........Alas..The day the music died
Best days of our lives? Comments Please!
I remember the first ( I think) coloured boy. He would be in the final year and I had just started in 1955. His name was Chinmefat I think that was how it was spelt. I can remember that he had made some mistake or other and at assembly he was belittled. I did not like it at the time and so I still remember the occasion and his name.
The gym had a good selection of equipment because the school was used for military personnel during the war. Hence the showers and the field.
Sadly I could not view the photo for some reason.

Greetings from Canada, I seem to remember being spanked on the back of my legs by this evel Mr Edge just for talking to a young lady in class, I wish I could find him now and give his some of his own punishment, I never forgot that day in front of the whole class, I remember it very well, I think he was the most evel teacher I have ever met, I hope he got what was coming to him in the end, not a happy time at Beeches Road.
It was the most miserable time of my life. I was sent to Mr Edge for talking in class - I wasn't but a class mate was talking to me - I had the cane. She didn't but her Dad and the class teacher went to the same Social Club. I was very resentful. I got picked on after that and the next time that I was sent to Mr Edges office I went home instead. I hid in a neighbours house for several hours and the school had to inform the Police that a child had gone missing. The only person in my family that could be contacted was my older brother who had gone to the same school before me. He got on well and I had to follow in is footsteps. I couldn't. He came home from work to find me and I got told off He called the school and Miss Lloyd came to fetch me back. My Dad had to go to see the head snd it was all very nicey nicey in front of him. He was a sort of commanding chap so they played it down. I hated it all of the time that I was there. They went easy on me after that in case I took off again I suppose.

There must be something about needlework teachers. When I was at Beeches the needlework teacher was Mrs Harris. She would shake you if you made a mistake and she was grumpy all of the time. Right job - wrong person. I made some knickers out of cotton dress material, most uncomfortable. I also made a yellow gingham dress which I loved.
I was hopeless at gym. I was awkward and hated it. I couldn't climb a robe or jump over the buck. I wasn't any good at anything but swimming which I loved.
I stayed until I was 16 doing typing and shorthand but only because my Mom insisted. As soon as I was 16 I was out. Got a job in an office and worked hard because I was interested. It paid off and I progressed slowly over the years marrying and having my children. I do voluntary fundraising now for Charities so although I am now in my late 70's I am still working.
Avril.
Welcome BigJohn. I agree with what you say about needlework teachers. I went to Bloomsbury Girls school. Our teacher was Miss Clift She was a tall lady and rather large with goofy teeth. Very intimidating when you are only 13. She was always shouting at you if you made a mistake. If there wasn’t twenty pairs of scissors in that oxo tin at the end of the lesson, woe betide us all. So what did the braver girls do, ... hide a couple of pairs on purpose. . To do this day, I have never been any good at needlework etc. I loved my school days though. Regards, Sue

It was the most miserable time of my life. I was sent to Mr Edge for talking in class - I wasn't but a class mate was talking to me - I had the cane. She didn't but her Dad and the class teacher went to the same Social Club. I was very resentful. I got picked on after that and the next time that I was sent to Mr Edges office I went home instead. I hid in a neighbours house for several hours and the school had to inform the Police that a child had gone missing. The only person in my family that could be contacted was my older brother who had gone to the same school before me. He got on well and I had to follow in is footsteps. I couldn't. He came home from work to find me and I got told off He called the school and Miss Lloyd came to fetch me back. My Dad had to go to see the head snd it was all very nicey nicey in front of him. He was a sort of commanding chap so they played it down. I hated it all of the time that I was there. They went easy on me after that in case I took off again I suppose.
Nice to see I wasn’t the only one subjected to Edge’s corporal punishment. Unfortunately he was very quick to condemn and even quicker with the cane. On my first visit to his study I was accused of smoking something I’ve never done and on the second occasion for throwing stones at some pigeons, again not guilty. My crime was to be friends with a boy who stretched bad behaviour to the limit but as he serviced the heads car (he worked in his Brothers garage) he never received any punishment.

I am getting confused here. I want to reply to Avril, but the posts are all under Big-John's thread.
Okay; to begin.

I do recall David and Ethel, who lived opposite me in Heston Avenue. I remember Ethel as a beautiful girl, but somewhat reserved and quiet; what we called a beautiful soul. We were 'toddlers' together, and at a tender age of about three, we got lost, when Ethel took me to see her Dad, who operated the huge excavator at the gravel pits. We ended up at the Scott Arms terminus! All safe and sound, but remember there was a war going on then, and it was beginning to get dark. Ethel's eldest brother was profoundly deaf, and couldn't speak. I always understood Jim, in more ways than just one, and he and I were lifelong friends; in fact he was my best man in 1962. And believe me, he was one handsome, dark haired 'Irishman', a broth of a 'bhoy'! I haven't seen Ethel or David, for about eleven years, when I attended Jim's funeral, so I don't know how they are. Since my wife was ill, I have lost track of so many people.

Avril: Sadly my sister passed away New Year in 2018, at just 74 years. Yes, her hair was something to behold, I must admit. Our Mum was so proud and would spend hours putting Jean's hair in 'ringlets'. Strange the things we remember. Jean went to live in Tamworth, where she and her husband bought a house.

I found this picture. I hope it is okay to attach.
The Prefects and House Captains in about 1952/53, with Mrs. Bland, Mr Caldicott and Edgie! I have a legend for the picture, with names, but it's a 'Word' file, and I don't think it would post.
I am having difficulty i attaching pictures. It's just vanished from my screen. I will try again.

John

Last edited:
Beechespic.jpg
I am in front row; third from left.

Back Row L to R . Janet Rawlings, Peter Worth, Janet Hargreaves, Robert Stevenson, Yvonne Eynon, Roger Wollaston, Gillian Gower (Subsequently School Captain.) Tony Greatrix, (Can’t recall this girl’s name) David Plimmer, Janice Hayward, Brian Arthur.

Front Row. Peter Johnson, Joy Brain, John Walker, Mrs. Bland. David Crathorne (Boys’ Captain) Mr. Edge, Pat Duckitt (Girl’s Captain) Mr. Caldicott, Barbara Wimbush, (Girls’ Vice-Captain) Robin Hales, Pat Roberts.

If we look like a happy bunch, it’s because we were!

Last edited:
I am getting confused here. I want to reply to Avril, but the posts are all under Big-John's thread.
Okay; to begin.

I do recall David and Ethel. She lived opposite me in Heston Avenue. Ethel was a beautiful girl, but somewhat reserved and quiet. We were 'toddlers' together, and at a tender age of about three, we got lost, when Ethel took me to see her Dad, who operated the huge excavator at the gravel pits. We ended up at the Scott Arms terminus! All safe and sound, but remember there was a war going on then, and it was beginning to get dark. Ethel's eldest brother was profoundly deaf, and couldn't speak. I always understood Jim, in more ways than just one, and he and I were lifelong friends; in fact he was my best man in 1962. And believe me, he was one handsome, dark haired 'Irishman', a broth of a 'bhoy'! I haven't seen Ethel or David, for about eleven years, when I attended Jim's funeral, so I don't know how they are. Since my wife was ill, I have lost track of so many people.

Avril: Sadly my sister passed away New Year in 2018, at just 74 years. Yes, her hair was something to behold, I must admit. Our Mum was so proud and would spend hours putting Jean's hair in 'ringlets'. Strange the things we remember. Jean went to live in Tamworth, where she and her husband bought a house.

I found this picture. I hope it is okay to attach.
The Prefects and House Captains in about 1952/53, with Mrs. Bland, Mr Caldicott and Edgie! I have a legend for the picture, with names, but it's a 'Word' file, and I don't think it would post.
I am having difficulty i attaching pictures. It's just vanished from my screen. I will try again.

John
Hello John we corresponded before I think many years ago. May Friends Reunited. I am Big John's wife Avril, sister to David. John is following another thread. I just jumped in!
I discovered just about the time that you gave me Jean's phone number, that our son was one of the 'Stolen Heart's' children from Birmingham Childrens Hospital so it was not a time to be taking up old acquaintances as we had enough to cope with.
Later when I felt that the time was right the number was unobtainable. I had no way of tracing her as I did not know her married name. A boat now missed. It's very sad.
Jimmy was outstanding hansom. I was a couple of years younger and was awestruck. He was a very moody bad tempered guy. Maybe because of his deafness. He was not born deaf. It came after he fell from a swing when he was very young. His younger sister Kath and Philip the youngest were both born deaf. Ethel is the only one of the children who has her hearing to this day.
I have David's number but I cant give it on here. Ethel now has health problems, Dementure being one of them.They would love to hear from you I'm sure.

Hello John we corresponded before I think many years ago. May Friends Reunited. I am Big John's wife Avril, sister to David. John is following another thread. I just jumped in!
I discovered just about the time that you gave me Jean's phone number, that our son was one of the 'Stolen Heart's' children from Birmingham Childrens Hospital so it was not a time to be taking up old acquaintances as we had enough to cope with.
Later when I felt that the time was right the number was unobtainable. I had no way of tracing her as I did not know her married name. A boat now missed. It's very sad.
Jimmy was outstanding hansom. I was a couple of years younger and was awestruck. He was a very moody bad tempered guy. Maybe because of his deafness. He was not born deaf. It came after he fell from a swing when he was very young. His younger sister Kath and Philip the youngest were both born deaf. Ethel is the only one of the children who has her hearing to this day.
I have David's number but I cant give it on here. Ethel now has health problems, Dementure being one of them.They would love to hear from you I'm sure.
Thank you Avril.. And I do remember the things you speak of. So sorry to hear of Ethel's health problems. I empathise of course, because my wife is also 'lost' to me, and is in care suffering from Parkinson's Disease, and Dementia. Haven't seen her since Easter because of Lock-down, and don't know when the home will get back to normal, and allow me in, as I have been 'vaccinated'. Obviously I haven't heard from Ethel and David at all, and I do understand the problems. I didn't know about the cause of Jim's deafness though.He would never wear a hearing aid; for which I believe he was suitable. Yes he could be irritable, but I always found a way around that.
I would think you couldn't contact Jean because it was around the time she got rid of her land-line, and just used her mobile number. For interests' sake her married name was Pear.
Thanks for the information Avril. I will keep an eye on the thread.
My word! It's half eleven and I haven't had breakfast yet! Lol!

Regards John

I hope this is okay posted here. It seems I have dropped into the Beeches School thread a little late!
I was there in 1951 to 1954.
'Edgie' was always okay with me, and when I joined the Birmingham Poice in the 1960s, he gave me a great reference..Beechespic.jpg

Back Row L to R . Janet Rawlings, Peter Worth, Janet Hargreaves, Robert Stevenson, Yvonne Eynon, Roger Wollaston, Gillian Gower (Subsequently School Captain.) Tony Greatrix, (Can’t recall this girl’s name) David Plimmer, Janice Hayward, Brian Arthur.

Front Row. Peter Johnson, Joy Brain, John Walker, Mrs. Bland. David Crathorne (Boys’ Captain) Mr. Edge, Pat Duckitt (Girl’s Captain) Mr. Caldicott, Barbara Wimbush, (Girls’ Vice-Captain) Robin Hales, Pat Roberts.

If we look like a happy bunch, it’s because we were!

John-Boy!

Wow that photo of the field takes me back. We moved to Coleraine Road about 1954 when I was 2 years old. I had a sister Pauline who would've been around 15 and my brother Alan was about 9. My sister was engaged to Alan Dunstone at one stage but that didn't work out. We lived next door to the Millington's. Hibbert's lived the other side. One of the old neighbours, Mrs Wiseman visited my mother in Australia a few years ago.
I remember your family. Your Dad was a military man and suffered with bouts of malaria at odd times. Alan was at Beeches when I was there. He hated it even more than I did. Alan left and went to Birchfield Road and in between times stayed at home for a short while when he changed schools. When I went missing from school - ran away after another bullying episode by teacher George Cox - I hid in your house for most of the day then went home late afternoon. Marion Lloyd came to fetch me. There was quite a performance over it but I got left alone after that.

Back