• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Church Road, Yardley.

I need help trying to find ANY info. on The Shrubbery. I have the census returns for 1861 and 1881, also the 1911 census for the Shubbery Cottages which were alongside in Church Road (where the shops are now) But I cannot find any other census returns. Unfortunately I do not have names of people who would have lived there in 1871, 1891, 1901so I have been going through the whole census for Church Road, Yardley. This is a bit difficult as we know that the pages sometimes do not follow the whole road. For instance one census sheet I found for Church Road suddenly changed to a completely different road before I go to where I think The Shrubbery should have been. I would really like to know who owned the house or who built it and when.

Some pics...hope they help...

Attachments

• Shrubbery 1.jpg
    Shrubbery 1.jpg
    693.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Shrubbery 2.jpg
    Shrubbery 2.jpg
    740.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Shrubbery now.jpeg
    Shrubbery now.jpeg
    1,022.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Shurubbery now aerial.jpeg
    Shurubbery now aerial.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 36
I need help trying to find ANY info. on The Shrubbery. I have the census returns for 1861 and 1881, also the 1911 census for the Shubbery Cottages which were alongside in Church Road (where the shops are now) But I cannot find any other census returns. Unfortunately I do not have names of people who would have lived there in 1871, 1891, 1901so I have been going through the whole census for Church Road, Yardley. This is a bit difficult as we know that the pages sometimes do not follow the whole road. For instance one census sheet I found for Church Road suddenly changed to a completely different road before I go to where I think The Shrubbery should have been. I would really like to know who owned the house or who built it and when.
1901 Edward Eadon is listed at The Shrubbery. Born 1846 - if you can't find him post again and let me know.

Some pics...hope they help...

1901 Edward Eadon is listed at The Shrubbery. Born 1846 - if you can't find him post again and let me know.
I found Edward on the 1901 census, Martin Billing on the 1861 and Jacob Rowlands on the 1881. But I now have to find the others if I can. I had seen a couple of the photo's before too. The recent photo taken from the air must have been taken a long time ago, as I can see mother-in-laws house and garden quite clearly, also next doors too and they are quite different. I have been emailed a photo of Church Road taken about 1935 (we think). Just trying to find the best way to attach it to a message.

The picture I just posted is of Church Road, Yardley almost at the junction of Yew Tree Lane. (I think) before the shops in Church Road were built on the garden of The Shrubbery You can see the Shrubbery roof and also in front, the Shrubbery Cottages. I am sure the bus stop is still there in the same place.

Not sure when this photo was taken but we think it was sometime in the 1930's. I am going to see if I can find Harris the tobacconist (on the left). The shop on the right has a sign that says Boot Repairs, no name though.

The Shrubbery had gone from Kelly's directory by 1932 but 1930 is not on Ancestry so I can't look then. There is a big gap back to 1915.
1619025610639.png
Same directory has Harris as a confectioner
1619025780758.png

Thomas Davis is still there in the Shrubbery in the 1924 edition, which is listed directly after (no number) Yardley Transport services at no 150. In the 1932 edition Thomas Davis is listed as at no 150 . So did Thomas Davis move next door, or is no 150 actually The Shrubbery , with Yardley Transport Services being at the same address

kelly 1924 church road yardley.jpg

Mike, I think I have seen the Shrubbery as 156 somewhere.
No - apologies - I misread it
1915 directory has this but that puts The Shrubbery between 156 and 160 - doesn't it?
1619029681295.png

Last edited:
1925, 1930, 1939 and 1945 e rolls list (including Shrubbery cottages out of interest). NB not all of the Davis children appear on all the registers.
1619044451708.png
1950 e roll still has Rosanna listed at 150 but by 1955 Shrubbery Cottages have gone and there is a different name at 150.

I am not sure if you
I need help trying to find ANY info. on The Shrubbery.
I am not sure if you want info between the censuses but
1903, 1904 and 1905 Henry Charles Sellers is listed as living at The Shrubbery
1908 is Edgar Frank Atkin
1912 and 1913 Jesse Arnold is listed there.

1899 William Edwards at The Shrubberies

Last edited:
I am not sure if you

I am not sure if you want info between the censuses but
1903, 1904 and 1905 Henry Charles Sellers is listed as living at The Shrubbery
1908 is Edgar Frank Atkin
1912 and 1913 Jesse Arnold is listed there.

1899 William Edwards at The Shrubberies
All this info is great. I still can't get any further back that the 1881 census but that's OK at the moment. I am just interested in the house itself so having the names of residents over the years will fill in a few gaps. Still would like to know who actually owned it when it was built, so I shall keep looking (along with everyone else!!)

The problem is it wasn't in Birmingham in the early years so directory info is limited. Will post if I discover anything.

Had a look at the Yardley entry of Littlebury's 1874 Worcestershire directory. Only Shrubbery I found was in Sparkhill. ( for Edward Rigg Lloyd Esq,)

1855 Billings directory has Martin Billings at The Shrubbery in Yardley which ties in with the name Sue found on 1861 census

Some more stuff to ponder...

MAPLELEHURST and SCONE COTTAGE

Maplehurst was a complete mystery to me, despite living in Church Road for the last 49 years. It was where the shops and houses are, opposite the Bank and School Buildings at the Yew Tree ….and in those days (1920s) next to Scone Cottage right on the corner opposite the present Clumsy Swan Pub. I only noticed it on a map when researching this post, so, a query to Debbie at South Yardley Library turned up the following, which she found off the Birmingham History Forum, some 5 years ago…

http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=3081.253

“Have been looking at Scone cottage and Maplehurst, Church Rd. 1891 Maplehurst 134 Church Rd. Walter Coleman aged 53 house agent. 135 Church Rd.

“I have had a look in my editions of Kelly's Directories and can tell you that in 1901 Church Rd wasn't numbered. However by 1913 it was partially numbered and from Coventry Rd the north side of Church Rd was numbered from 1 to 87.
Then comes the part you are interested in, No 87 was Walter Thomas Webb shopkeeper, then un-numbered James H Woodcock Chimney sweep, then the Mission Congregational chapel, then Walter Coleman Maplehurst, then John Edward Mills nurseryman, Scone Cottage on the corner of Flavells Lane (which is now Hobmoor Rd).”

“Many thanks for your help. I am still wondering why on the 1891 census site Maplehurst is numbered 134 Church Rd. and Scone Cottage is down as 135 Church Rd. Another bit of information I found was that the Shrubbery we have spoken about before is down in 1891 numbered No185 Church Rd. lived in by Frederick Augustas Bird, wine merchant.”

“Thanks so much for that map showing Maplehurst. Indeed, it is next door to Scone Cottage! Or was. Seems to have gone since I couldn't see it on google-earth.”

Walter Coleman lived in Scone Cottage for some years, including 1871 and 1881, and seems to have built Maplehurst after 1888, when an old map of the area doesn't show Maplehurst and 1891 when he was living there. Maybe it was a Nurseryman's cottage some time before 1871?”

13072688_10207797725252318_8519712237060755183_o.jpgMaplehiurst and Scone Cottage sites now google.jpegMaplehurst Church Road.jpgMaplehurst site now  google .jpegScone Cottage.jpgMaplehurst site aerial now.jpeg

“Many thanks for your help. I am still wondering why on the 1891 census site Maplehurst is numbered 134 Church Rd. and Scone Cottage is down as 135 Church Rd. Another bit of information I found was that the Shrubbery we have spoken about before is down in 1891 numbered No185 Church Rd. lived in by Frederick Augustas Bird, wine merchant.”
185 on the 1891 census is the schedule number not the house number. So it is house number 185 in that section of the census.
Similarly for the numbers 134 and 135

Back