• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fanny's (fanny By Gaslight) Snow Hill

dirtyden

Black Country Boy
This weekend just gone, at a school reunion in Brum, I was given a photo of me, taken circa 1968/69 at a restaurant in the city centre, near Snow Hill station, called 'Fanny By Gaslight'.
The restaurant was know affectionately as Fanny's.

But I can't for the life of me remember it!
I can't find any photos or references to it on the Web.
Does anybody else have any memories of pics of this restaurant?

I might be totally wrong about this but wasn't Fanny's that pub in the block at the side of the Thistle Hotel and round the corner from WM Police HQ? It was opposite what is now the new One Snow Hill building.

Most of the businesses moved from the block ages ago and it has recently been demolished.
Fanny's was on the upper level - there was definitely a pub there and I think that was the name of it.

Fanny's Restaurant 15-19 Snow Hill, entry in the 1973-4 Kelly's Directory. That's all I can tell you.

Fannys later became UBS owned by UB40 i worked there sometimes as i worked for Dep Int the bands record label at the time.

Many thanks. At least some of you can remember it; I thought I was cracking up! Or is it just a Senior Symptom?

I remember coming on leave and Fanny's (I didn't know it was called "Fanny by Gaslight") was THE place to go for a meal. They served steaks on either a stone or a wooden plate. Next time I came home, as is the way of things, somewhere else was in vogue.

Festive at Fanny’s. Don’t think I ever went in there, but was it a Victorian themed bar ? Think it was in the low level block in my post #253. From British Newspaper Archives. Viv.

D3BEC879-D1B6-485D-891A-4012A5D411D6.jpeg

I might be totally wrong about this but wasn't Fanny's that pub in the block at the side of the Thistle Hotel and round the corner from WM Police HQ? It was opposite what is now the new One Snow Hill building.

Most of the businesses moved from the block ages ago and it has recently been demolished.
Fanny's was on the upper level - there was definitely a pub there and I think that was the name of it.
hi sorry only just found and joined this site, your right about Fanny's, my mom and dad ran it in early 70's

hi kim and welcome your mom and dad most likely served myself and friends then as the early 70s was when we used it...usually starting at the nearby filibuster then along to fannys...great happy days...oh if you happen to have any photos either inside or outside of the pub we would love to see them....cheers

lyn

I used a bar in this building/area in the early/mid 80's. I remember Fanny's but don't remember that being the name of the bar! Did it ever trade under a different name, I always enjoyed the music in there and of course the Lowenbrau!
Ps I don't recall the name ubs either

This weekend just gone, at a school reunion in Brum, I was given a photo of me, taken circa 1968/69 at a restaurant in the city centre, near Snow Hill station, called 'Fanny By Gaslight'.
The restaurant was know affectionately as Fanny's.

But I can't for the life of me remember it!
I can't find any photos or references to it on the Web.
Does anybody else have any memories of pics of this restaurant?
I’ve copied a photo of the pub from another thread in post #7. Viv.

I used a bar in this building/area in the early/mid 80's. I remember Fanny's but don't remember that being the name of the bar! Did it ever trade under a different name, I always enjoyed the music in there and of course the Lowenbrau!
Ps I don't recall the name ubs either
UBS Had a lifespan of about a year it was not successful The Band was away at the time in the States.

I was due to be taken to Fanny‘s by my mom & dad on Friday 22nd November 1974 to get my first ever restaurant steak and my first Knickerbocker Glory. It was to celebrate me entering my teenage years.

However, we all know what happened the night before and as a result mom & dad cancelled, partly because of the fear of it happening again and partly because they are Irish and had already started to get lots of grief because of what happened.

It was not a pleasant time to live through being Irish or of Irish descent in the aftermath.

I did eventually get to visit Fanny‘s and get my steak & chips dinner with a Knickerbocker Glory dessert and very nice it was too.

I temember Going to Fannys for great steak meals in the later part of the 60’s , if I remember rightly some of the tables had old tredle sewing machine treadles or am I just dreaming

Fanny’s/Carousel

Attachments

• 50D24924-4C51-4563-BD03-4270874322A4.jpeg
    50D24924-4C51-4563-BD03-4270874322A4.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • E6A6F71D-1488-4402-867C-184611E8BF54.jpeg
    E6A6F71D-1488-4402-867C-184611E8BF54.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • ECE44EB2-022C-4912-8AF3-307DBC1B40B0.jpeg
    ECE44EB2-022C-4912-8AF3-307DBC1B40B0.jpeg
    458.7 KB · Views: 14
Back