• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Summer Lane Pubs

Well done Lyn, that took some doing. Now here is your next task. How many had their address's on summer lanelol

that is correct ray.. if memory serves me right....the vine

lyn
When I was 17 in 1956 my mates four of us had a half pint in all 14 pubs in the lane ..... drinking hours then was from 6pm till 10.30 pm so you had to rush to get the 14 done

Last edited:
In 1900 no 125, which is marked as part of the white building halfway along the Gt Hampton St frontage was T Jerome & Co, button manufacturers, but the corner (at 126) is listed as Isreal Greenberg & co, wholesale jewellers. But the map of the 1880s shows that the corner was the Birmingham Joint Stock Bank, and the Jerome button factory would have been on the site of the part of the Empire building on Gt Hampton St away from the corner
map c1889 corner Hall st & Gt Hampton St.jpg

In 1900 no 125, which is marked as part of the white building halfway along the Gt Hampton St frontage was T Jerome & Co, button manufacturers, but the corner (at 126) is listed as Isreal Greenberg & co, wholesale jewellers. But the map of the 1880s shows that the corner was the Birmingham Joint Stock Bank, and the Jerome button factory would have been on the site of the part of the Empire building on Gt Hampton St away from the corner
View attachment 155481
Many thanks. Super stuff.

View attachment 155481
My enhanced photo of the Leopard Pub opposite the bank.
FB_IMG_1617545638871.jpg

Here are some photos from a pub my dad worked at as a barman. Someone suggested it was the Rising Sun. Any information on owner, staff, etc appreciated.View attachment 98045View attachment 98046View attachment 98044
Hi ya, maybe a long shot, and a bit out of the blue, but. I have recently found out the my late father Timothy Tolley’s parents ran the Riding Sun pub in which your father worked. I never got to meet my Dad, Timothy, so any information on the Rising Sun, the Tolleys is greatly appreciated. Cheers Mike

I am interested in Edward Bridgwater who moved from Rowley Regis to Birmingham and appears in the 1851 census at 104 Summer Lane,which I believe is the Vine Inn.
Edward is shown with his family and is a blacksmith.
There is also Edwin Crouch(journeyman tailor) and family,and Robert Leeson(gardener)and family.
Edwin looks to be in the front part of the building and the other families possibly in the rear part.
There is no mention of this being a pub or of a Licensed Victualler.
In 1861 the licence is said to be held by Henry Fulford.This is shown on the Fulford Brewers site.
The 1861 census and the 1862 Business Directory show him as a house agent.
I am asking,please, if anyone could confirm that this was a pub in 1851 and why the licensed Victualler is not shown at either date.
As I understand it this part of Summer Lane was not developed long before 1851 and 104 looks like a purpose built pub,or was it not.
Thank you to anyone prepared to wade through this.

In the 1849 directory (published 1850), there are no pubs listed between no 90 and The Britannia at no 286. In the 1855 directory , although no 102 is listed as a grocer,no 104 is not listed. In the PO directory of 1855, Edward Bridgwater is listed as a beer retailer (which could be a beerhouse or an off licence) at 18 Wharf St. In Whites directory of 1855 an. Edward Bridgewater is listed as a brassfounder at 86 Cecil St., No 104 summer Lane is a occupied by John Webb. who is listed as retail brewer. Slaters 1852 directory (which does not hav ea street index,) lists a number of retail brewers in Summer Lane, but unfortunately, three (Thomas Cottrell, George Edwards and George Hook) did not list numbers, though George Hook is later shown at a pub , not 104, in Summer lane.
The differences between the two would be due to the time when survey was undertaken, together perhaps with how conscientious the surveyor was. ThE newspaper archive did not yield anything, but directly you got into it today it stated that it had "publishing issues" and some items might not be available - presumably also meaning you might not find reference to them

Thanks Mike,especially for a quick reply.I must have just missed it earlier.Quite a bit to think about there.This is an awkward one because it seems to straddle the period of development beyond New John Street West.The Fulford Brewers site has Henry Fulford as the publican in 1861.Thanks again for your help.All the best,Oldun

Hi guys can anyone recognise this M n B pub on summer lane, my dad jack lewin the Barrow boy is second from left with harry , ( twink) dossiter on his left.. I am writing a book on the peaky blinders . Of summer lane, following on from my first book..AGAINST THE ODD. FROM THE SLUMS OF SUMMER LANE. Perhaps someone might recognise others in the picture

Hi guys can anyone recognise this M n B pub on summer lane, my dad jack lewin the Barrow boy is second from left with harry , ( twink) dossiter on his left.. I am writing a book on the peaky blinders . Of summer lane, following on from my first book..AGAINST THE ODD. FROM THE SLUMS OF SUMMER LANE. Perhaps someone might recognise others in the picture
hi...there is no photograph attached

Last edited:
Back