• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cemetery search

nzjrc,

That's who I thought it probably was, but I can confirm no service records. Four silver war medals for persons of that name but no places of dates or places of birth, so impossible to say whether any one might be him without a service number. I'll have another dig around tomorrow, but I am not too hopeful.

Maurice :cool:

He appears on Ancestry on the UK, Railways Employees List.
Difficult to copy as he is towards the bottom of a page. I have done the headings as well and split the page in half otherwise it would be rather small
1617058486253.png1617058526594.png

1617058576028.png
1617058612492.png

There are other entries - first shows his transfer to Kings Norton.
1617058927330.png
This one shows he was "adv" - I assume advanced and the changes in his rate of pay. I think he was now a porter not an assistant porter.
1617058998903.png

nzjrc,

That's who I thought it probably was, but I can confirm no service records. Four silver war medals for persons of that name but no places of dates or places of birth, so impossible to say whether any one might be him without a service number. I'll have another dig around tomorrow, but I am not too hopeful.

Thanks very much for looking.

There are other entries - first shows his transfer to Kings Norton.
View attachment 155260
This one shows he was "adv" - I assume advanced and the changes in his rate of pay. I think he was now a porter not an assistant porter.
View attachment 155261
Thanks very much. I must have missed these ones. His son was also named George who was on the railways too and I have found some records for him. Unfortunately not been able to find anything between known dates i.e 1911 census and his marriage in 1919. Jane

nzjrc,

I spent an hour or so scouring the newspaper archives, FMP and a few other sources, but George seems to have kept a fairly low profile and not resorted to criminal activities! In other words I found nothing and he was a good boyt. :)

nzjrc,

I spent an hour or so scouring the newspaper archives, FMP and a few other sources, but George seems to have kept a fairly low profile and not resorted to criminal activities! In other words I found nothing and he was a good boyt. :)

Sounds about right, boring in other words!! Thanks so much for going to the trouble. Jane

Jane,

If your father was a fireman at the time you left England, I can send you a copy of the Passenger List of your parents' outgoing journey to NZ if you haven't already got it.. If you don't want me to upload it to the open forum, send me an email address via the private messenging system - envelope icon top right of every page.

Jane,

If your father was a fireman at the time you left England, I can send you a copy of the Passenger List of your parents' outgoing journey to NZ if you haven't already got it.. If you don't want me to upload it to the open forum, send me an email address via the private messenging system - envelope icon top right of every page.

Yes, I have copies of that thanks. Dad met Mum at the Fire Station when she came to work on the phones. They went to NZ on the sponsored immigration scheme and worked at the Wellington Station. Many years later he and another passenger started a reunion group of Captain Cook passengers which had meetings of around 400 people. Jane

Jane,

That was way before the internet & email and the time to have started ideally would have been before you disembarked. You would have then had a ready made self=-help group! :)

Back