• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

City Centre Photographs

I wonder if Ken & Sue are still together.

Bob
Ken and Sue have been on the BHF before where I was speculating about them and possible engagement ... ;)
A nostalgic impression of 1970s New St/Corporation St ... memories of young couples showing their names on car windscreens. Ken speeds away from the lights in his Cortina with Sue in the passenger seat. Ken might be thinking about having some 'go-faster' stripes on the bonnet and roof of his rather nice car, while Sue could be thinking about engagement rings she had spotted in Perry Greaves while they were waiting at the lights ...

I thought at first Mk 2 Cortina, but it looked to wide, more like a Vauxhall, but on second glance, yes Mk2 Cortina, its the angle of the photo makes it look wider. Sorry to go off Piste. Paul

A nice city centre photo.
It's the 1920s and they sit on the Chamberlain Fountain. Two of them have complete foxes draped over their shoulders !
index.php

Fox furs lasted until the 1950s and when I was clearing the house of a great aunt, I found one. To me as a child I thought they were horible as some had the legs dangling down.

Yes! Fox furs and feather boas purchased in the rag market. Alongside second hand old crepe dresses, cut on the bias, that were made in 30's .

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
Yes! Fox furs and feather boas purchased in the rag market. Alongside second hand old crepe dresses, cut on the bias, that were made in 30's .
Oh my word, I am going to love this thread I have just found. I am smiling so much my face hurts and I have only looked at a few pages. The photos are fab, thank you all. Sue

Oh my word, I am going to love this thread I have just found. I am smiling so much my face hurts and I have only looked at a few pages. The photos are fab, thank you all. Sue
You might find some pics to smile at in the thread below .... it all started when I saw a bloke pushing a pram in 1940 ... ;)

You might find some pics to smile at in the thread below .... it all started when I saw a bloke pushing a pram in 1940 ... ;)
Hi oldMohawk, Thank you so much for the link, will enjoy this thread I am sure. Great photo. Funnily enough I know the Beeches pub and the surrounding area. Obviously a bit different in modern day, in more ways than one. Regards Sue

The stamp dealer on Needless Alley was The Norfolk Stamp Co

I remember this shop in the 70s & 80s as West End Stamps run by Simon - who still sells at shows in Dorridge and the Irish Centre
My late father, Stewart Hughes, initially owned the West End Stamp Co after taking it over from the Norfolk Stamp Co, and sold the business to Simon I believe in the early 1980's. He is visible in the attached 1974 photo.

Attachments

• Needless Alley 2.jpeg
    Needless Alley 2.jpeg
    339.1 KB · Views: 46
Back