• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cornforth

marandina2

knowlegable brummie
Hi All, I am descended from one of the Cornforth brothers who owned various Iron works in Brum. I was looking for a photo of Dartmouth works and was given a photo which turned out to be Alcester Road. It is now the Iron Works gym and flats. Is anyone able to let me know if this also was Cornforth owned? It looks as though it was built in 1905 whereas Dartmouth Works was in operation in the late 1800's. Also another brother was a licenced Victualler also of Dartmouth Street. If there is any information or photos relating to either I would be most grateful.
Wedding of George Cornforth, my Great Grandparents are also in the photo. Unfortunately I don't know the others (which Cornforth is which, on the left hand side) but they have striking features so definitely Cornforths.
Thank you
Alison

Attachments

• Cornforth wedding.jpg
    Cornforth wedding.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 18
John Cornforth, wire manufacturer is listed at 155 Dartmouth St in Pigots directory of 1841 and 1850
Cornforth Bros , iron & steel wire manufacturers are listed in Kellys 1855-1892 as at 155,156 Dartmouth St. they had gone by 1895 edition
Thomas Cornforth is listed as a beer retailer at 74 Dartmouth St 1855-1862
Mrs.Maria Cornforth is listed as a beer retailer at 74 Dartmouth St 1867-1878, but gone by 1879 edition
(Note year is publication date and probably refers to year before)
The map below shows the Dartmouth works in red and no 74 in blue

map c1889 showing 155-156  and 74 Dartmouth St. jpg.jpg

Cornforth Works at Dartmouth Street the partnership shown was dissolved in 1848. It then appears as Cornforth Brothers in 1849 trade directory for wire makers.

IMG_6654.jpg

Last edited:
John Cornforth, wire manufacturer is listed at 155 Dartmouth St in Pigots directory of 1841 and 1850
Cornforth Bros , iron & steel wire manufacturers are listed in Kellys 1855-1892 as at 155,156 Dartmouth St. they had gone by 1895 edition
Thomas Cornforth is listed as a beer retailer at 74 Dartmouth St 1855-1862
Mrs.Maria Cornforth is listed as a beer retailer at 74 Dartmouth St 1867-1878, but gone by 1879 edition
(Note year is publication date and probably refers to year before)
The map below shows the Dartmouth works in red and no 74 in blue

View attachment 155006
That brilliant thank you, the map is great. Thank you for the information also :) Much appreciated!

Hi Marandina2, I also have Cornforths in my tree but unfortunately not the wealthy ones!

I expect you've seen it already but there is a very large monument to John Cornforth and family in Key Hill cemetery. I've been searching for the photos that I took but to no avail. I've changed PC's since I took them some years ago. If you haven't seen it, let me know, I'm often in the area and can easily take another one.

Hi Marandina2, I also have Cornforths in my tree but unfortunately not the wealthy ones!

I expect you've seen it already but there is a very large monument to John Cornforth and family in Key Hill cemetery. I've been searching for the photos that I took but to no avail. I've changed PC's since I took them some years ago. If you haven't seen it, let me know, I'm often in the area and can easily take another one.
No I haven't seen it, but wouldn't want to put you to any trouble. I might have a look to see if it is on the grave site (can't just remember what it is called). I am in Northampton now, moved here in 1995 but go back to Brum to see family. Well pre Covid I did! Thank you :)

No 74 Dartmouth St was the Globe Tavern (in 1891)

No I haven't seen it, but wouldn't want to put you to any trouble. I might have a look to see if it is on the grave site (can't just remember what it is called). I am in Northampton now, moved here in 1995 but go back to Brum to see family. Well pre Covid I did! Thank you :)
Also not related to the wealthy ones! Legend has it that there was a disagreement and some brothers including my GGrandfather were cut out.

Reference to the map in #2
An aerial view dated 1921 shows Dartmouth Street running across the view left to right. The light coloured building in the row of buildings to the left of the school is No 74. The passageway to the rear is visible.
74Dartmouth1921.jpg

An aerial view dated 1933 shows the rear of No 74 on Dartmouth Street.
74 DartmouthSt.jpg
image source 'britainfromabove'

Reference to the map in #2
An aerial view dated 1921 shows Dartmouth Street running across the view left to right. The light coloured building in the row of buildings to the left of the school is No 74. The passageway to the rear is visible.
View attachment 155013

An aerial view dated 1933 shows the rear of No 74 on Dartmouth Street.
View attachment 155014
image source 'britainfromabove'
Wow amazing thank you :)

We plan to go at the weekend if the weather is OK for having coffee outside. If that's the case I'll take a photo for you.

That would be lovely, very kind of you :) I also have Bennett in my tree. You wouldn't have Henry (Niner/Bennett) 1838-1916?
Sorry, I don't recognise that name but to be fair I have only gone back to about that time on the main line of the Bennetts. They came from Newlands in Worcestershire and were farm labourers.

Sorry, I don't recognise that name but to be fair I have only gone back to about that time on the main line of the Bennetts. They came from Newlands in Worcestershire and were farm labourers.
Oh well, never mind. He was not a real Bennett he changed his surname for an unknown reason, but obviously his decendants are Bennett. One of his daughters married Cornforth.

Despite the drizzly day we decided to go as we were getting cabin fever! Coffee in the car rather than the churchyard though.

Just in case you want to go and see the grave yourself when you're next over, it's best to go in the Key Hill entrance which is about two thirds of the way up the hill. We used the back entrance off Hylton Street which is an alleyway, but there's not much difference whichever way you go. Follow the path round until your'e almost at the railings and look to your left. The memorial is in front of the building (see Pic 1). The writing on two faces is quite clear but probably doesn't tell you anything you don't already know. The third panel is quite bad but I think the name on it is William Cornforth. The fourth face is blank. Cornforth Grave 1.jpgCornforth Grave 3.jpgCornforth Grave 4.jpgCornforth Grave 6.jpg

Despite the drizzly day we decided to go as we were getting cabin fever! Coffee in the car rather than the churchyard though.

Just in case you want to go and see the grave yourself when you're next over, it's best to go in the Key Hill entrance which is about two thirds of the way up the hill. We used the back entrance off Hylton Street which is an alleyway, but there's not much difference whichever way you go. Follow the path round until your'e almost at the railings and look to your left. The memorial is in front of the building (see Pic 1). The writing on two faces is quite clear but probably doesn't tell you anything you don't already know. The third panel is quite bad but I think the name on it is William Cornforth. The fourth face is blank.

Just in case you want to go and see the grave yourself when you're next over, it's best to go in the Key Hill entrance which is about two thirds of the way up the hill. We used the back entrance off Hylton Street which is an alleyway, but there's not much difference whichever way you go. Follow the path round until your'e almost at the railings and look to your left. The memorial is in front of the building (see Pic 1). The writing on two faces is quite clear but probably doesn't tell you anything you don't already know. The third panel is quite bad but I think the name on it is William Cornforth. The fourth face is blank. View attachment 155222View attachment 155223View attachment 155224View attachment 155226
Thank you very much for doing this, much appreciated! :)

Back