• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Baltic Inn Sherlock Street

Tinpot

master brummie
The pub might have been talked about as being in Benacre St, , which it was, but its correct address has always been in Sherlock st
Can you tell me the address for the Baltic Inn that was also on Sherlock St. I think John Cartwright may have lived there prior to Kings Arms.

That is also on a corner, with Hope St and is 276 Sherlock St. , shown in red on the c1950 map. Also Photo of the Baltic Inn.

map c 1950 Baltic Inn Sherlock St.jpgHope St The Baltic Inn.jpg

That is also on a corner, with Hope St and is 276 Sherlock St. , shown in red on the c1950 map. Also Photo of the Baltic Inn.

View attachment 153123View attachment 153125
Thanks again Mikejee. This information has begun to unravel my search for the Cartwright family. Birmingham pubs spark so many memories in my own early life including draught beer from outdoors in jugs and refilled bottles to consume at home. Great to see map and photo.

Thanks again Mikejee. This information has begun to unravel my search for the Cartwright family. Birmingham pubs spark so many memories in my own early life including draught beer from outdoors in jugs and refilled bottles to consume at home. Great to see map and photo.
Hi Mikejee, I have seen a reference to a John Cartwright at 141 Summer Lane an alehouse and baker. I forgot to record the date but have found that it could be The Green Man. Are you able to help me with any info? Tinpot

No 141 was the Green Man. Have looked at the directories I have up till 1932, and in those can see no John Cartwright at that address

Back