• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Summer Lane Pubs

Number 25 was, at a much earlier date, a cigar and ale business. Not sure exactly what that means, could be retail or wholesale. The sale advert suggests it was well known. But this was in 1869. Viv.

34221E93-C1DA-41CE-9C3F-DD4C743269BB.jpeg

In the 1901 census Frank Phillips at no 25 describes himself as a publican. the 1900 Kellys lists William S Chambers there as a beer retailer

The 1891 census lists it as the Cambridge Bar, which I don't think I have ever heard of before
mike just looking at kierons updated pub map on post 201 and i cant see a cambridge bar there is however an oxford stores between hatchett st and new john st west

lyn

#25 seems to be near (or on) the junction with Hanley Street - assuming numbering hasn’t changed. Viv.

Leopold Lazarus Ltd were steel stockholders with various sites around the country. I used to sell them little felt pads to be placed between sheet metal to prevent sticking, but I don't think I ever visited their place in Summer Lane. They are, I believe, still trading under the name Macsteel Ltd, but not in Birmingham,.

Lyn, your photos bring back memories of an ill-spent youth! I don't know what it was about it, but when I first realised that I liked beer (!) Summer Lane drew me like a magnet. Two or three of us would catch the No 5 or No 7 bus in Witton Road, get off at The Salutation (may its memory be forever blessed) and then work our way back up to Six Ways. I can't say I drank in every pub in Summer Lane or Alma Street, but I think I managed to get a swift half in most of them. I also played darts (for The Brown Lion, Hall Street) and we had many a match in various Summer Lane pubs. I can honestly say, hand on heart, that apart from the odd "falling out" between drinking partners, I never encountered any serious trouble in Summer Lane. Or maybe I was just lucky. The pub that sticks in my memory is The Cross Guns - an old regular there took a liking to me for whatever reason. I think that was one of the first Summer Lane pubs to be demolished, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I also liked The Woolpack for both its atmosphere and its architecture. They were real pubs for real people - beer, cheese cobs and darts, as my old man used to say.

G
My in-laws used to manage the Cross Guns, a Davenports pub ,in the 1960s. As you say a real pub and people

In the 1901 census Frank Phillips at no 25 describes himself as a publican. the 1900 Kellys lists William S Chambers there as a beer retailer
Frank Phillips was married to my great aunt and yes, he lists himself as publican. Thanks for all your research on this.

Is there any way of discovering who the lessee was in 1907? I haven't been able to find anything for Frank Phillips after the 1901 census. The Cambridge Bar sounds just the sort of place I would have liked to have met up with some rellies! ;)

There is only one Frank Phillips in Birmingham with wife Elizabeth (as per 1901) in 1911. He is then a Brass Tube Drawer (in 1891 he appears to be a Brass Dresser). I think many people used to try their hand at running a pub, sometimes while having another profession.

Was he married to Alice. there is a Frank Phillips, (354) in the 1911 census ,manager at the Pump Tavern pub at 19 Sutherland St. The rates book form 1912 has him in it initially, but crosses name out and replaces him with arthur townsend

Rate book sutherland st 1912A.png

There is only one Frank Phillips in Birmingham with wife Elizabeth (as per 1901) in 1911. He is then a Brass Tube Drawer (in 1891 he appears to be a Brass Dresser). I think many people used to try their hand at running a pub, sometimes while having another profession.
Thank you. Since I posted my comment, I have found him in various locations as a Beer Seller. I had saved that 1911 census but realised it wasn't him. His wife was born in Birmingham and the wife on 1911 was born elsewhere. In 1912 he was a Beer Retailer at 19 Sutherland Street. Thanks for looking though. Much appreciated.

Was he married to Alice. there is a Frank Phillips, (354) in the 1911 census ,manager at the Pump Tavern pub at 19 Sutherland St. The rates book form 1912 has him in it initially, but crosses name out and replaces him with arthur townsend

View attachment 154878
His wife was Elizabeth. I had found this Frank Phillips in the Trade Directory, thinking it was him. Now I'm not so sure. I've taken some screenshots from the trade dierctories but am having a problem with the format.

Thank you. Since I posted my comment, I have found him in various locations as a Beer Seller. I had saved that 1911 census but realised it wasn't him. His wife was born in Birmingham and the wife on 1911 was born elsewhere. In 1912 he was a Beer Retailer at 19 Sutherland Street. Thanks for looking though. Much appreciated.

The Frank Phillips (wife Elizabeth) at Cambridge Bar in 1901 is a different person to the Frank Phillips (wife Alice) at 19 Sutherland St.

Frank & Alice and their son emigrate to Fresno, California,

Back