• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Byng Kenrick Girls' Grammar School

I remember drooling over the boys on the other side of the fence - we used to walk along the perimeter at lunchtime and feign nonchalance as we sauntered by pretending to talk but really watching the boys play footie. I only remember a few names though - we rarely had the opportunity of meeting with any of the boys - John Martin, Dave Porter and Mickey....? Summer of '71 - hotpants, skinny rib jumpers and T.Rex......
Really lol!!? And it was Mickey Ballard

Does anyone remember me? Christine Armstrong. Went to Shirestone Primary before going to Byng Kendrick as did Dagmar Brown, Pauline Killeen and Christine Doyle. Was it 1960 or 1961? So long ago but great days. Became friends with Christine Blake. I do wonder about them and others. I remember Miss Birch with a fondness because she tutored me after school for a while as she got me through a difficult time. I had a boyfriend Roy Brookes who went to Central. He used to leave his bike in the shed belonging to his aunt who lived in the same flats as me. I used to get told off because we got caught holding hand on the way to school. We stayed friends for many years and a few years after his wife died we married in 1997. Well, better the devil you know!

You started there in 1960 the same year as I did. I remember the names you mentioned and also Miss Birch and Miss Boon. Somewhere on this site is the long school photograph taken when we were in 4th year. It is in several sections. Our year is towards the back.
Regards,
Vivienne

You started there in 1960 the same year as I did. I remember the names you mentioned and also Miss Birch and Miss Boon. Somewhere on this site is the long school photograph taken when we were in 4th year. It is in several sections. Our year is towards the back.
Regards,
Vivienne
I still have the photo and the grey winter beret style hat and do you remember the school purse to go over the shoulder? I still have that and the school tie.

Regards,
Vivienne
Do you remember Tina Bashford too? I ended up living a few doors from her back in 1977.

Yes I remember her and her friend Barbara Husselbee. They always fascinated me as they were so good at gymnastics and could seemingly tie themselves into knots. Do you remember Corinne Campbell or Rita Workman? I was at primary school with both of them. I remember the little purse on a cord but no longer have any of the uniform as it was given to another girl who was due to start there as I left.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. Christine Hutchins here. I started BK in 1963 and am on the front row of the large school photo.
Teachers I remember are: Miss Boone (headmistress when I started), Miss Birch (deputy, then head), Mrs Sawyer (French), Miss Evans (Latin), Miss Webb (Biology), Miss Stringfellow (Chemistry), Mr. Atkinson (Physics), Mr. Screen (Geography), Mrs Davison (Maths), Mr. Thomas (English), Mrs Wilson (English), Miss Derek (Games), Miss Cann (History).
There were traffic lights outside the head's door, and up stairs and down stairs to create a one way system. I recall the pancake berets which had to be worn in winter from the 3rd year, replacing the bowler from the first two year. Prefects could put you in detention if you weren’t wearing your hat to and from school. I also remember the school purse and the heavy wooden tennis racket with press, which had to have your name burnt into them! It was also nearly impossible to keep the games shorts, which were like a short culotte with wide pleats, uncreased in your PE bag, even though it had been ironed.
Fellow pupils in my year included: Anne Seazell, Janet Broughton, Margaret Reagan, Jane Crook, Christine Jephcott.

Last edited:
Gillian,

Glad you enjoyed seeing the photos,and it would be great if you can find some. Miss Birch was my English teacher for some time, and I can understand you being scared of her. She wasn't exactly approachable. I wanted to get a grant to go to drama school when I was 21, and I phoned her for a reference. She wouldn't give me one, said I had no interest in drama at school. But I got my grant anyway. But if you think of Miss Birch when you see Margaret Thatcher, when Miss Boon was head mistress, she was more like the queen. Julie Lawrence rings a sort of bell, but I'm not sure. My memory seems to be getting worse on names. You say it wasn't the same when you were there. My sister started there the year that I left, and it wasn't so strict. We had to wear our hats all the way home, or else! And we even had elocution lessons. Have to say though, the school meals were great.

Ann

Ann
Hi Ann,
I was at BK 1964 - 69. I quite agree about Miss Birch & Miss Boon. Miss Boon left in 1965 & Miss Birch became Head then. Had good times & bad times there. In the third form our form room was in the lecture theatre. I remember having races under the benches & girls climbing out of the windows to chat at the fence with boys from Central Grammar. There's a BK page on FB with quite a few old girls on it. I've just noticed that one of my old class mates (Netty (Annette) Haddleton nee Kennedy ) has posted on here. My maiden name was Ashby.

Hello everyone. Christine Hutchins here. I started BK in 1963 and am on the front row of the large school photo.
Teachers I remember are: Miss Boone (headmistress when I started), Miss Birch (deputy, then head), Mrs Sawyer (French), Miss Evans (Latin), Miss Webb (Biology), Miss Stringfellow (Chemistry), Mr. Atkinson (Physics), Mr. Screen (Geography), Mrs Davison (Maths), Mr. Thomas (English), Mrs Wilson (English), Miss Derek (Games), Miss Cann (History).
There were traffic lights outside the head's door, and up stairs and down stairs to create a one way system. I recall the pancake berets which had to be worn in winter from the 3rd year, replacing the bowler from the first two year. Prefects could put you in detention if you weren’t wearing your hat to and from school. I also remember the school purse and the heavy wooden tennis racket with press, which had to have your name burnt into them! It was also nearly impossible to keep the games shorts, which were like a short culotte with wide pleats, uncreased in your PE bag, even though it had been ironed.
Fellow pupils in my year included: Anne Seazell, Janet Broughton, Margaret Reagan, Jane Crook, Christine Jephcott.
Hi Christine,

I was there 1964-69 & also remember the teachers you have mentioned. The was also: Miss Jones (Music), Miss Drayton-Meadows (PE), Mr Hammond (Art), Miss Jaques (Needlework), Miss Abery/Avery (Cookery), Mrs Warwick (Maths), Miss Fairn (Geography?). Myself & friends were always getting caught for not wearing our hats. I can see the traffic lights now. Believe it or not, I still have my tennis racket & press!!! It weighed a ton. I recognize the girls' names you have mentioned & here are a few more: Annette Kilroy, Nadine Pugh, Linda Hopkins, Christine Hartley, Vivian Colclough, Janette Nicholls, Catherine Palgrave, Annette Kennedy, Jacqueline Adkins & Anne ashby (Me). I'll finish there but I can remember quite a few more.

Gillian,

Glad you enjoyed seeing the photos,and it would be great if you can find some. Miss Birch was my English teacher for some time, and I can understand you being scared of her. She wasn't exactly approachable. I wanted to get a grant to go to drama school when I was 21, and I phoned her for a reference. She wouldn't give me one, said I had no interest in drama at school. But I got my grant anyway. But if you think of Miss Birch when you see Margaret Thatcher, when Miss Boon was head mistress, she was more like the queen. Julie Lawrence rings a sort of bell, but I'm not sure. My memory seems to be getting worse on names. You say it wasn't the same when you were there. My sister started there the year that I left, and it wasn't so strict. We had to wear our hats all the way home, or else! And we even had elocution lessons. Have to say though, the school meals were great.

Ann

Ann
Hi again Ann,
How do I get to look at the photos?

Anne

best i can do folks with a 3 ft long pic..had to overlap a bit and scan in 5 parts but at least all the pupils are here..

nice to meet viv and hubby and thanks so much for taking the time to bring your photo over...

lyn

img536.jpg

img537.jpg

img538.jpg

https://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g393/astoness/img539.jpg
[/QUOTE]
thanks for these photos. I am on the first photograph next row down from back. Third window along. Follow the thin line down and it ends on top of my head, ouch! Roughly 17th from left. I remember some of the wonderful hair styles on the photo. Thanks again for posting them.

Does anyone from BK remember The Rio at the Yew Tree. Sunday night was the 'progressive/rock' night. I first went with a gang of mates from school around 1969/70. The music was superb, the DJ excellent. There were also several notable personalities there too. A Stones fan, a Who fan and a Rod Stewart fan who were up within a split second of their favourites coming on. There were a lot of blokes from Central Grammar and girls from Byng Kendrick that went every week. I think the club lasted a while there then, I don't know why, had to move to the Sportsman's Arms near Coventry. The DJ arranged for coaches to pick us up and take us there for a small fee which was fantastic. It was a great night out.

I went to Byng Kenerick at the start as a 2nd year. My maiden name was Margaret Price. Sadly I cam only remember Miss Birch and Miss Boom. My best friend was Carol Stafford

Back