• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rose and crown..hospital/brearley st

Lyn

Another photo of The Rose & Crown Brearley St for you. It was bombed in 1941 and repaired and rebuilt, it must have been before the end of the war or just after as this photo is dated 1946. I think this may be the another case of a wrong date being attributed.

It closed it's doors on the 20th September 1963 and was demolished soon after. A new street, Aldgate Grove is now approximately where the pub stood.

Phil

45d35d6f.jpg

brilliant phil..thank you...if i am not mistaken that could be the side wall of lynne webbs house you can just see on the left of the pic..she will let us know later on...

cheers again phil...

lyn

check the exact dates with my dad a c harrison he lived at the pub and as he went to summer lane school 55-59 it would of been those yrs,

Just love the pic of the Rose and Crown, thanks so much for posting it Phil.
Lyn, you're right, that is the side wall of my house, there is a bit of my bomb peck as well..

Pete,
Jim Pike was a very popular dart in the 50s and 60s.They had a very heavy barrel.Moss.

in that case moss it stands a chance that dad played with jim pike darts...he used to take me in the vine villa st to teach me how to play..boy where they heavy with big brass barells...lol..

My other half said he always used Jim Pike darts and his dad won a lot of competitions with them...

Seeing the manager of the Rose & Crown, Ken Ironmonger mentioned, I met up with him later in life managing the Bridge House Pub on the Walsall/Bloxwich Rd. That has also been demolished, so where he went after that i've no idea. Dave

Not a great one of the Rose and Crown. No date for this one but the landlord was, I think, Arthur Lewis. I wonder if this is the image referred to in Phil’s post #22. Viv.
C4E9E8B6-039C-4325-A875-4DB5CBA6BBF7.jpeg

Can somebody remind me to come back to this public-house? I am bogged down with other stuff and now looking into that Stag and Pheasant on Bromsgrove Street. In the meantime, here is a sneaky look into the pub. It is an image I have prepared for my site.

brearley-street-rose-and-crown-entrance.jpg

Re: bombing .... The house was damaged on October 16th 1940 and was re-opened on May 30th 1941.

I remember the Rose when Ken was the gaffer. As a youth I along with my brother Bill played for their football team “ Rosevilla “ when the pub closed we moved to the Stag, keeping the team name until a while later when it became “ Jumbos “ Happy days i loved the area. Moss. Stay in doors and stay safe.

Lyn

Another photo of The Rose & Crown Brearley St for you. It was bombed in 1941 and repaired and rebuilt, it must have been before the end of the war or just after as this photo is dated 1946. I think this may be the another case of a wrong date being attributed.

It closed it's doors on the 20th September 1963 and was demolished soon after. A new street, Aldgate Grove is now approximately where the pub stood.

Phil

45d35d6f.jpg

Can somebody remind me to come back to this public-house? I am bogged down with other stuff and now looking into that Stag and Pheasant on Bromsgrove Street. In the meantime, here is a sneaky look into the pub. It is an image I have prepared for my site.

View attachment 143368

Re: bombing .... The house was damaged on October 16th 1940 and was re-opened on May 30th 1941.
hi kieron....reminding you to come back to the rose and crown unless i have missed something

cheers

lyn

Two more for you Lyn :
and

Two more for you Lyn :
and
many thanks for those links kieron...my neck o the woods so of interest to me...will read them later as dinner beckons now

lyn

Back