• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cutler - Glass Merchants

S

sutton28

My family originated from West Bromwich/Handsworth/Aston area and my great grandfather worked as Glass Merchant in the 1880s>There seems to have been quite a few Cutler's in the same trade but I can't find anything after 1900. I would appreciate any local knowledge

When I worked for Watsons Garage in Villa Street Hockley in the 50s the chap living next door drove a truck for Cutler's Glass, (I built my garage at home from their packing cases) don't know any more than that but I believe the company wasn't too far from there. E.

kelly's 1900 1921

Cutler & Lacy, stock & share brokers, 41 Waterloo street.
T A " Lacy;" T N 7,521 Central (5 lines)
Cutler Annie (Mrs.), hosier, 28 High street, Harborne
Cutler Archibald, photo frame maker, 145 Moseley street.
T A " Arco; " T N 2,332 Midland
Cutler Arthur, dairyman, White cot.Tennal road.Harborne
Cutler Arthur, hair drssr. 43 Dog Pool la.TenAcres.Stirchley
Cutler Frank, builder, Glen Helen, Cateswell rd.Hall Green
Cutler Frank, heating engineer, 2 Great Hampton street.
T N 6,768 Central
Cutler Hy. purveyor of cooked meats, 197 Soho rd.HndsMrth
Cutler Henry James, dairy, Tennal road, Harborne
Cutler Jabez H. Boot & Slipper inn, n o Rolfe st.Smetlrwick
Cutler James, builder,28 High st. &42 Metchley la.Harbrne
Cutler James, jobbing gardener, 73 Wood lane, Harborne
Cutler Jesse, glass & china dealer, 4 Woodbridge rd. Moseley
Cutler John, dyer, 135 Victoria road, Aston
Cutler John, shopkeeper, 5 Upper Ryland road
Cutler Joseph, ironmonger, 1489 Pershore road
Cutler Kate (Mrs.), pawnbroker, 95 Upper Thomas sfireet,
Aston Manor
Cutler Luke, beer retailer, 77 Lansdowne st. Witison green
Cutler Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 42 Hobson road, Selly Oak
Cutler Mary Jane (Mrs.), midwife, Adams hill, Bartley
green, Quinton
Cutler Owen, draper, 168 Long la Quinton, via. Halesowen
Cutler William, greengrocer, 451 Bearwood road, Smthwck​
Cutler William,

Cutlers Glass Merchant

Hello, the glass merchant you mentioned may have been Pearce and Cutler, they used to be in Digbeth and then went to Electric Avenue, Witton.

Rita (Trebor)

i have the name sam cutler who married hilda cope and had a son dennis. Hilda was sister to harriet cope who was my dads mums mum. dads mum was born 1911, so sam and hilda would probably have been born around the 1880's.
let us know if there is a connection to your cutler
yours kath

For what its worth......

My late brother in law was a master glass cutter at Pearce & Cutler for many years. At the time I can remember,around the 50's,they had premises just off Broad St. (Canal St.?)
We still have a mirror he got for us for our first house.

There is now a pub on the site called Solomon Cutler who started a glassworks there in the 1840,s

I've visited the last Pearce and Cutler glass factory many times. It's just around the corner from the Mint, and the old Bullpitts sites. Heres a few photo's, and I think they moved to Witton from here?

DSCF2077.jpg

DSCF2078.jpg

DSCF2103.jpg

77 Pope street

DSCF1682.jpg

DSCF5558.jpg

DSCF4120.jpg

Huge place, full of history. Sadly it's now falling to vandals, metal thieves and nature. It's a sad sight with almost daily flooding(certainly in this weather) and visits by unwanted drug users. Not a nice place.:cry:

help! confusion over cutlers.
my dads side of our tree is almost non existant, based on only what he can remember but what he did tell me might have gotten a little mixed up. after finding what looks like his mum linda mary fenn (maiden name) her mums maiden name is listed as cutler not cope as previosly thought and it looks like the cutlers in my tree might be copes so in my last post when i said sam cutler married hilda cope, it may have been sam cope marrying hilda cutler.
so confused.

Both Cope and Cutler were big names in the automotive trade in and around Birmingham and both are still in business

And here it is now..........

_IGP5367.jpg

_IGP5368.jpg

DSM moved in a few weeks ago to level the place. Work starts soon on the Kettle works over the road that I never managed to get into. They're using the land as a base:redface:

Neil

hi dont know if there is any conection but my moms aunt edith smith married a george cutler and they lived at 1 abyssinia place taylor street nechells in 1948.

I descend from Solomon Cutler, Birmingham glass merchant, now of Broad St. pub fame. Many Cutlers were in the glass industry, as manufacturers, benders, cutters, wholesale/retail merchants, and secondary processors (using glass to make other things, such as garden seed boxes, aquariums, mirrors, etc., etc.). Anyhow, here are some documents relating to Solomon Cutler, his older brother Ephraim (E. & S. Cutler) and his son William (my great-great-grandfather).

Attachments

• 2 - cutler - solomon cutler glass advert - kidderminster times jul 24 1869.jpg
    2 - cutler - solomon cutler glass advert - kidderminster times jul 24 1869.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 19
  • A - cutler - solomon and ephraim cutler dissolution 1858.jpg
    A - cutler - solomon and ephraim cutler dissolution 1858.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 20
  • cutler - william cutler garden appliance advert - gardening illustrated jan 16 1892.jpg
    cutler - william cutler garden appliance advert - gardening illustrated jan 16 1892.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 20
  • cutler - william cutler glass bending furnace patent - official gazette of the u s patent offi...jpg
    cutler - william cutler glass bending furnace patent - official gazette of the u s patent offi...jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 21
  • cutler - william cutler glass brewing vats etc. patent - the brewers journal jan 15 1898.jpg
    cutler - william cutler glass brewing vats etc. patent - the brewers journal jan 15 1898.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I descend from Solomon Cutler, Birmingham glass merchant, now of Broad St. pub fame. Many Cutlers were in the glass industry, as manufacturers, benders, cutters, wholesale/retail merchants, and secondary processors (using glass to make other things, such as garden seed boxes, aquariums, mirrors, etc., etc.). Anyhow, here are some documents relating to Solomon Cutler, his older brother Ephraim (E. & S. Cutler) and his son William (my great-great-grandfather).
Hello Glen, You probably have as much info. on the Cutlers as I do, William Cutler was my Gt Grandfather his daughter Eliza Mary was My Grandmother. I assume that her sister Nell was your great grandmother. The documents you posted are new to me but I do have a picture of William and his wife Eliza (Bendall) you may have seen them or even have better copies. William and Eliza lived in Worcester 86 High street in 1871 so I guess he was working for his Father.William Cutler 1849 copy.jpgWilliam Cutler 1849 copy.jpgEliza Bendall.jpg

A couple of hours before you sent your thank you my brother and myself were talking about my Mother and Fathers first holiday together in 1941 (before they were married). We know that they stayed with my Great Aunt Nell in Clevedon who I understand acted as chaperone. Did she ever live there?

A couple of hours before you sent your thank you my brother and myself were talking about my Mother and Fathers first holiday together in 1941 (before they were married). We know that they stayed with my Great Aunt Nell in Clevedon who I understand acted as chaperone. Did she ever live there?
Yes, Nellie Cutler did live in Clevedon. I remember visiting her in 1974, when my father and I made the trip from Canada to England. I was six but distinctly recall two things from that visit. One, my father and I made a "daisy-chain" necklace out of clover, I think, for her. Two, she was very upset that my distant and adult cousin, Malcolm, a Cadbury salesman, had loaded me up with freebee chocolate bars, including several Crunchie bars, which, I believe, were not then available in Canada. Strange what we remember, isn't it? To distinguish her from my Gran, we referred to Nellie as Big Gran.

Back