• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dibble

Pican

Brummie babby
Hello, I'm a new girl and I wonder if you can help. As part of my family history research I have discovered several of my Dibble ancestors moved to Birmingham from Bridgwater in Somerset. They became bakers and/or confectioners. I have noticed there is a Dibble Road and wonder if anyone can throw a light on how it got its name. I'm pretty sure it isn't anything to do with 'my' Dibbles but just in case ..... Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Pican welcome to the forum, Dibble Road is actually in Smethwick.
Several of the streets between Stony Lane and Holly Lane have Devonshire names
because Samuel Dibble, the founder of the firm that built them, and George Bowden, the architect, were natives of that county.
About 1882 a man named Mackey started to build in Exeter Road, about twelve houses near Corbett Schools
. . . Then in '1883 or '84 Dibble came on the scene, started to make streets, and Sewer started to build in Tiverton Road in blocks of eight.
Devonshire names were given to several of the streets because Samuel Dibble was a native of Devonshire.
More info here

Attachments

• dibble.pdf
    131.6 KB · Views: 14
If you look at the article Smethwick - The growth of the town (British History on line pages 88 - 96) you will see the history of Smethwick and also someone called Samuel Dibble.

Pican welcome to the forum, Dibble Road is actually in Smethwick.
Several of the streets between Stony Lane and Holly Lane have Devonshire names
because Samuel Dibble, the founder of the firm that built them, and George Bowden, the architect, were natives of that county.
About 1882 a man named Mackey started to build in Exeter Road, about twelve houses near Corbett Schools
. . . Then in '1883 or '84 Dibble came on the scene, started to make streets, and Sewer started to build in Tiverton Road in blocks of eight.
Devonshire names were given to several of the streets because Samuel Dibble was a native of Devonshire.
More info here
Thank you for this, Rob. As I suspected Samuel is not one of 'my' Dibbles and, in fact, mine came from Somerset. The article, nonetheless, is most interesting.

If you look at the article Smethwick - The growth of the town (British History on line pages 88 - 96) you will see the history of Smethwick and also someone called Samuel Dibble.
Thank you, Sue. Sadly, Samuel Dibble is not one of mine. My Dibbles came from Somerset and were bakers. The article is most interesting nonetheless.

Hello, I'm a new girl and I wonder if you can help. As part of my family history research I have discovered several of my Dibble ancestors moved to Birmingham from Bridgwater in Somerset. They became bakers and/or confectioners. I have noticed there is a Dibble Road and wonder if anyone can throw a light on how it got its name. I'm pretty sure it isn't anything to do with 'my' Dibbles but just in case ..... Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Hello Pican - I'm new, too and interested in this thread of conversation since 'my' Dibbles were bakers and confectioners and hailed from Somerset. Perhaps we can collaborate (... or is this you, dear cuz?!).

Back