• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fordrough Street

I think you will find that this area has been redeveloped so many times that it is highly unlikely

In early census it was mixed residential and busines - as the city centre spread - the residential was squeezed out and laterly swamped

Nothing on the www - suggest you visit Birmingham Central library for any chance

Cheers

Attached is the clearest map I have found of Fordrough Street

Attachments

• 20210214_003106.jpg
    20210214_003106.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 26
My great great grandfather appears on the 1881 census as living a No. 4 Fordrough Street. I have been unable to find it on any maps. Finding your messages has at last given me a good idea as to where my Dauncey family origins began in Birmingham. Before that they lived in Gloucestershire.

He is listed as a coffin maker in Kelly's directory and his father in law was a Baker in the same road.
My gt gt gt grandfather in fordrough St. William Green

My great grandfather was at 12 ct 1 house, 48 Fordrough St in 1891 - if you go to the Mailbox and stand somewhere around Impress (the orthodontist) you'll be about 12' above the site of their house. It was off Severn St but mostly pulled down late 1800s / early 1900s as the small goods station off the Worcester wharf was enlarged. They had a mishap with the canal around the same time and there was quite a bit of flooding. The 1889 Warwickshire map, sheet XIV.5.16 shows the location - I'm not sure if anyone on the forum might have a larger scale plan showing house numbers.

Back