• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

shadwell street

BB i am driving myself barmy here because i am sure i managed to get a few photos of shadwell st from the library a few years back but i cant seem to find them..im sure i posted them on the forum...i will have to fire up my desk top later on and see if i have them stored on there:rolleyes:

lyn

yes thats them mike many thanks...i knew i had got some from the library...what thread did you find them on mike??

there you go BB...5 of shadwell st

lyn

ok BB thanks....have you seen post 21..mike has found my missing photos and posted them on this thread

lyn

I had saved them under Shadwell st and just referred to that folder. don't know where they were originally

Those photographs are fantastic Mike! Look at the slope of the pavement outside the garage. I remember walking to school in the mid 60s in the winter and that sloping pavement was thick with ice. People, including me, were slipping and sliding into the busy road. It really was quite frightening. I can just make out the back of St. Chad's Junior School as well. Hooray, result!

thought you would like those photos BB i was chuffed to find them lurking in the library:) cant beat the photograph for bringing back memories can we..

lyn

You're right Lyn. I think we are so lucky we have photographs, maps and other resources to 'reinforce' our memories (for want of a better term).

I'd like to ask Mikejee if he could tell me which house/dwelling was number 1 in Little Shadwell Street. This is the address that says my grandfather was born there on his birth certificate, he was born in 1904. It is only a short street, and I've walked up and down it, but am confused as to which end of he street was number one.
Thank you in advance for your help.

I'd like to ask Mikejee if he could tell me which house/dwelling was number 1 in Little Shadwell Street. This is the address that says my grandfather was born there on his birth certificate, he was born in 1904. It is only a short street, and I've walked up and down it, but am confused as to which end of he street was number one.
Thank you in advance for your help.

hi mindy i am sure that if mike spots your message he will be able to help with map

lyn

Mindy
No map or directory lists the numbers of the houses in little Shadwell St. However I attach a map c 1890 (which, for the street is the same in 1904) where I have worked out what must be the numbering (houses listed on electoral roll are, 1,2,3,4 5 and then 5 back houses behing no 5)

map c1889 showing what must be  numbering of little shadwell st.jpg

mindy looking at mikes map it should make it easier now for you to work out where your grandads house once stood luckily the gunmakers pub is still there so no 1 was the opposite side of the pub near to where little shadwell st meets shadwell st..i cant of course be certain but i think it would have been set back behind the wall where all the greenery is...click on link below for street view

lyn

I have just seen the photographs of Shadwell Street and Little Shadwell Street, I lived in Bath Street and the yard was opposite the Gunmakers arms. As as children my sister, brother and I used to race down the hill in Little Shadwell Street. It was great in the winter as we used to slide down it.The canal was at the bottom across the road and we were threatened not to go near it. Few years before I was born my brother was accidently pushed into the canal by a dog and nearly drowned, he was saved by his elder brother pulling him out. It was not fenced off. We never went near it as we would we told off by our mom, and we did as we were told. My brothers both went to St. Chads boys school as did my father before them. There was a teacher called Miss Croak who remembered my father and she used to say to my brothers I taught your dad. My sister and I attended the school when it became a mixed school it was then the junior school. Mr. Wells was the headmaster and Mr. Conklin moved to what used to be the girls school in Brearly Street. There had been a pub along there which had changed into a house, my friends grandparents lived there and we used to go down into the cellar. It is amazing what memories a few photographs bring to life.

Thank you so much Mikejee, the map and information you have provided gives me a better insight to my grandfathers life, I am currently working on a chronological timeline of his life, although I have had some training, map reading still defeats me. Your help is very much appreciated. Also thank you Lyn for your help too.

I am so late finding this thread I hope someone is still looking after it. My great grandfather Charles Ford owned a gunmaking business at No 8 Bath Street (about 1870 - 1901). It is directly opposite the Gunmakers Arms. I have been searching everywhere for a photo of it. Unfortunately, all the photos I have seen are taken of the front of the Gunmakers with the photographers back to his premises. They obviously didn't realise I would want a photo of it one day. Having searched all the Bath Street photos I can find I thought I wonder if there are any taken taken down Little Shadwell Street towards Bath Street, which if taken at an angle might show his premises. Knowing the lovely helpful people on here are brilliant I thought I would try my luck. Thank you. Malcolm8 Bath Street.jpg

I lived in Bath Street in a yard opposite the Gun Makers, we were the only yard and there were four houses in it at the bottom was number 11(it had been a shop previously, before I was born), our house was number 2/11. I was born and lived there until 18th September 1961 when we were relocated to Wad End. I have no knowledge of any other yards as there were factories all around us. I wondered if these were demolished to make way for small industries. Shadwell Street and Little Shadwell Street were our playgrounds. I remember at the bottom of Little Shadwell Street was a small gunsmiths and we were allowed in the door to watch guns being made. We had fun riding down the hill on home made go-carts trying to stop before we reached the bottom into Shadwell Street, and near the canal (Forbidden territory) as it was all open ground. There was a pub and St. Chads Boys School. Entrance to the ambulance Station, and I believe at one time a filling station. These are childhood memories. Our other play ground was the peck in little Shadwell Street, we knew it as the bombed peck. It was a waste ground and we spent many a time playing there. One area was covered with nettles and dandelions our little bit of greenery.
It brings back lots of childhood memories and of all the games we played, in our makeshift play area's.

I lived in Bath Street in a yard opposite the Gun Makers, we were the only yard and there were four houses in it at the bottom was number 11(it had been a shop previously, before I was born), our house was number 2/11. I was born and lived there until 18th September 1961 when we were relocated to Wad End. I have no knowledge of any other yards as there were factories all around us. I wondered if these were demolished to make way for small industries. Shadwell Street and Little Shadwell Street were our playgrounds. I remember at the bottom of Little Shadwell Street was a small gunsmiths and we were allowed in the door to watch guns being made. We had fun riding down the hill on home made go-carts trying to stop before we reached the bottom into Shadwell Street, and near the canal (Forbidden territory) as it was all open ground. There was a pub and St. Chads Boys School. Entrance to the ambulance Station, and I believe at one time a filling station. These are childhood memories. Our other play ground was the peck in little Shadwell Street, we knew it as the bombed peck. It was a waste ground and we spent many a time playing there. One area was covered with nettles and dandelions our little bit of greenery.
It brings back lots of childhood memories and of all the games we played, in our makeshift play area's.
pauljon

Looking at the map you lived right nextdoor to my great grandfathers business, although I have to say he sold up in 1899 to Webley & Scott; just a tiny bit before your time I guess!! Were the houses No 9 & 8 still standing when you were there? It looks like my great grandfather ran his business from the building within the yard, entry to which looks like it was down a passage between No 9 & No 8. At one point according to the Birmingham Rate books he owned both No 8 & 9. Thank you for your description of the area, albeit a bit later than when my family it gives a picture of what the area was like. Malcolm

This information is interesting. The yard that I lived in was an open yard no entry to it. There was an air raid shelter situated at the bottom of it, where we used to play . I remember a telegraph pole right at the bottom of the yard
and next to it appeared to have been a house which was used as offices (I think) There was a yard entry up the side.
which I was not allowed to go up so I do not know what was up there, just told it was dangerous? The steps up to the house we used to play on them, jumping up and off them when there was no one in. The yard that I lived in had a stamp press at the top can't remember the name of it, two names are lurking somewhere in the grey matter. Heaton and Duggard , another name is Greeners, but not sure. The noise was horrendous, but we were allowed to stand in the doorway to get warm. I could never understand the numbers on the houses in the yard, 1, 5 , 2 and 7 with 11 at the front.
It looked as if there might have been houses opposite, there was as small covered area where 3 (miskins) dustbins. 3 toilets which were shared, two brewhouses (wash houses) then the stamp. I have recently returned to my childhood memories of Bath Street, and the Telegraph pole is still there, which is outside where the house stood either 8 or 9. You have stirred up a lot of my childhood days.

Back