• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Scams: Telephone, email, texts, other 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
More likely to be misdelivered than a scam I'd guess.

One of Ebay's customers is waiting patiently for his diy goodies to turn up. :)

Your right, I'm waiting for a small machine power hacksaw and tracking shows it's now delivered, we just a phone call from the seller who is full of apologies, my item has just been collected by Hermes. Seller has 100% feedback so I'm confident it's a genuine error.

I had a phone call today on my mobile. The number calling indicated it was from someone in Cambridge, so I answered it.

An automated voice said I had committed a tax fraud and If I did not press 1, I would be immediately arrested.

I was very impressed with how, with the help of new technology they can arrest me over the phone

This scam text dropped into my mobile today. I deleted it. Definitely do not tap the blue links on these.
lloydsScam.jpg

I have had a couple of texts saying my Amazon Parcel will be delivered today between a certain time. I then get another text to say the parcel was delivered and signed for by Susan (no Susan at my house), any problems click the link below.

Of course it’s a scam to get you to click the link, but a new style one to watch out for.

I have had five calls today saying that I have an urgent message from Santander. I don't know anyone living in Santander, Spain. Several I have not answered because they have been from the same 0808 number

Yes I know that Santander is a bank named after a town in Spain.

Last edited:
I received a text apparently from my bank this morning with a warning about someone setting up new payee - click the link etc. I know my bank never send texts to me so deleted it ... but not before making a note of the scammer's website embedded in the text link ... I'm nosy ...:cool:

I then started up an old computer which only runs Linux and also hides my ip address and entered the website in Firefox running incognito. Firefox immediately blocked the scammer's website with the screen below.
SAM_1548 (Medium).JPG

I’ve had these about a different bank who I don’t even have a bank account with ! Anything like this gets immediately deleted. Viv.

We keep getting very early morning calls often when we are not up which is worrying. My partner won't answer. I did yesterday and there was a long pause so I said hello, a long pause then a slightly robotic man's cultured voice. With too long an emphasis on the syllables.... heeellooow, this is BT, all your accounts with us will be terminated today. Please press button one. So I hung up. I checked on BT scam on the web. It is quite common. A woman who had written in had one with a man with an African accent claiming to be from BT. He had a lot of her personal details already. He said he could prove he was from BT by cutting her line off which he did. She couldn't ring out, then he came back on. She thought this would dupe some people. Then she told him that as he was the caller, he could press the mute button and not hang his phone up, rendering hers inoperable then depress his mute button. He hung up.
I also have had a few messages on my mobile saying my device has been paired up with a new recipient for my bank account, or they are confirming I have a new business arrangement to pay someone. I checked this out. Another new scam involving a bank and a building society. They say the real companies do not contact anyone in this way. What worried me or perturbed me was the messages came after my card had been refused. Once at the supermarket which eventually went through and once at a DIY store. I waved it I swiped it I put the number in. I ended up paying cash there. The till operator said it has not been working all day. Why didn't they do something about it then.?

When I did have a problem my bank messaged me and asked me to phone the number on my card. No links to click on and no phone number given. I actually phoned my local branch and they sorted it for me
It is annoying when they seem to know of a problem but don't sort it out.

In the Bournemouth area, BT has outsourced as many jobs as it can to India and another 700 jobs have been moved to, of all places, Hungary. If this is the general plan for the UK, expect to hear lots of Hungarian accents now! :)

Maurice :cool:

A few weeks ago my phone land line went dead and I used my mobile to contact TalkTalk. I asked the chap I was talking to where he was - South Africa! At least I could understand what he was saying :)
I had a mobile problem and the call centre lady was in Izrael. She was very nice and helpful and we chatted. She only knew of London.

I had a text supposedly from HSBC about some new payee wanting to be added (I can't remember the wording now) with some links to click into - I don't even have an account with them :laughing:
I just deleted it and I never click into any links.

A few weeks ago my phone land line went dead and I used my mobile to contact TalkTalk. I asked the chap I was talking to where he was - South Africa! At least I could understand what he was saying :)
I had a mobile problem and the call centre lady was in Izrael. She was very nice and helpful and we chatted. She only knew of London.

When I did have a problem my bank messaged me and asked me to phone the number on my card. No links to click on and no phone number given. I actually phoned my local branch and they sorted it for me
It is annoying when they seem to know of a problem but don't sort it out.
When I had a problem with my debit card with the Natwest ( an unusual transaction had taken place ) I went to the local branch they were sympathetic but they took me to an office and said ring this number and sort it out yourself. This really annoyed me because I am very deaf and I am not good on the telephone where things need to be precise. It took about a fortnight to sort out with the issue of a new card etc. and the unauthorised money returned.
It worked out OK in the end but a lot of hassle when I could have done with some help. I have now changed bank.

Banks are very impersonal these days and if they can't sell you something, you're just a nuisance on an otherwise peaceful day. Gone are the days when working for a bank was a job for life, and the staff were well qualified to answer your questions. Nowadays, if they can get you over the doorstep, the staff are under great pressure to sell you insurance or something similar. They are about as qualified as double glazing salemen. :)

Maurice :)

Nowadays, if they can get you over the doorstep, the staff are under great pressure to sell you insurance or something similar. They are about as qualified as double glazing salemen.
This has been the case for a while now. Coming from a long line of bank clerks/managers (I'm the odd one out!) my daughter joined Lloyds mid '80s but after a few years went in another direction having said to her Manager 'if I'd wanted to be a salesperson I'd have gone to work in Rackhams'

When I had a problem with my debit card with the Natwest ( an unusual transaction had taken place ) I went to the local branch they were sympathetic but they took me to an office and said ring this number and sort it out yourself. This really annoyed me because I am very deaf and I am not good on the telephone where things need to be precise. It took about a fortnight to sort out with the issue of a new card etc. and the unauthorised money returned.
It worked out OK in the end but a lot of hassle when I could have done with some help. I have now changed bank.
I had the same, it was like talking to somebody underwater. And they almost hefted me out as it was past there home time. The woman on the phone wanted me to keep my account live to catch them after she had accused me of allowing these debits, but I got the bank teller to stop it.

Text messages received:
One to my husband allegedly from HMRC about a tax rebate inviting him to click on a link.
Today I got one allegedly from HSBC about a payment made to someone and again with a link to click on to cancel the payment.

Both reported to our mobile network and sent on to the phishing dept of HMRC and HSBC - numbers blocked and messages deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back