• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

whitehouse family

Seemed to move around a bit. There's some discussion about The White Lion here...

Seemed to move around a bit. There's some discussion about The White Lion here...

I lived on the Alcester Road almost opposite The White Lion before it was demolished. When my wife's grandfather, Harvey Rundell Whitehouse came to stay with us, he told us he was born in The White Lion when his father John Whitehouse was the landlord. His sisters are listed on the 1881 census. There is a story concerning The White Lion and John Whitehouse, in which Edward Woodward took the leading role on TV. It concerned the murder of a policeman at Weatheroak, and a poacher who used The White Lion, and was hanged for his murder, due to the evidence given by John Whitehouse.

An interesting family story. I would think that there should be newspaper reports.

An interesting family story. I would think that there should be newspaper reports.
There was a book written by I think, the Wythall History Society, it was speaking to them that I found out about the story. Idid phone the Police museum in Sparkhill some years ago and they did know about the story. Thank you for your interest.

Still with the Whitehouse family. The father of John Whitehouse the landlord of The White Lion, Portway, was Joseph Whitehouse, a farmer from Rowley Regis, Blackheath. has anyone any information or pictures about a farm in that area called Fold Farm, circa 1876, where the Whitehouse's lived?

Back