• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Charles Winn (valves) Ltd

I wonder John, if you remember much about my Dad? I know it was over 50 years ago but I love the stories about him. I miss them and him. Do your remember his secretary Terry? I met her once I think when I was about 5/6 and thinking how glamorous she was.
terrys mother lived near me,if she was visiting her i;d get a lift home,always had a ciggy in her mouth.she was old school and did;nt mince her words.the foreman in the picture was the first one we had james stewart,he soon moved on,i also remember seeing my first computer drilling machine in there, my mate billy stevenson worked it,your dad used to do programs for it.all the machines were brand new in 1966 i believe most went down to birmingham,when it closed.in 1970.the house you lived in was a new build when you got it.i worked in it before you moved in,getting it ship-shape think we did some gardening as well.take care.ps on the photo i;m second from the end,backrow. two years before i got married

Thank you John so much. Do you remember the accident my dad had? We’re you there then? I don’t remember it as I was only young but the story is horrible and he never walked properly afterwards. He broke every bone in his foot!

Thank you John so much. Do you remember the accident my dad had? We’re you there then? I don’t remember it as I was only young but the story is horrible and he never walked properly afterwards. He broke every bone in his foot!
debb really cannot put any light on that one,maybe when the machines were getting taken

Yes it was when they were bringing in some machine and the chain/ rope broke and it dropped on his foot
i think it must have been when i was training down birmingham june/july 1966,your dad was up at sunderland setting the place up before we came back,when i think he did have a problem with his foot.did it trouble him in later life? john

right been in touch with a man who started as a lad in 1967 ,and your dads accident was before that.he says he wore a special shoe.i must have been down birmingham when it happened.i was one of the first to start there your dad interviewed me at southwick labour exchange.may- ish 1966

Post #38. I remember that day. We had moved from Granville St to Warwick St Bordesley the year before. We always called the Managing Director Bill Maddocks.

Incidentally, one of Charles Winn's Grandsons was Godfrey Winn, the journalist & television broadcaster of the 50s and 60s.
Godfrey Winn was born on 15th October 1906 in Kings Norton and attended King Edward's School. I assume this is the High School and not one of the Grammar Schools.

Back