• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lost Birmingham Pubs

Hi,

Well ok - the Troc, they did serve a cracking pint in there, but not the other 2

Kind regards
Dave
Hi all i also went to the Temple Bar the cellar bar was done in a ships theme
and the barmaid was Reene she was brilliant she was pouring your pint before you had ordered it and there was Clive the other barman he was a 'nice' man, would often meet up with my brother Eddie and my best mate Colin Hunt [rip]. Good Days Raz

Last edited:
Hi all i also went to the Temple Bar the cellar bar was done in a ships theme
and the barmaid was Reene she was brilliant she was pouring your pint before you had ordered it and there was Clive the other barmen he was a nice man, would often meet up with my brother Eddie and my best mate Colin Hunt [rip]. Good Days Raz

thats the sign of a good barman/barmaid when your drink is on the counter before you have ordered it

There was a pub across from C&A, (cant remember the name) it was quite old with lots of painted tile on the walls. We used to get Australian Duck wine and a pint of bitter there. VERY good!

I actually just put Corporation Street 1960's in Google search images and it was one of the first few photos to turn up so pure luck :D
A very clever friend of mine would always say, "he would rather be lucky than good". He was a brilliant aeronautical engineer that developed solid fuel rockets.

My memory of Yates's is you were not allowed to stand at the bar once served, and that they also had a more "posh" room upstairs. The Wine was served in "docks", a few very tasty and potent Australian if I recall.
Jumbo, you are spot on! Great recall.

Does anyone remember The Greyhound in Holloway Head.
It was a Cider House, I talking rough cider which you drank through your teeth.
It was a strong brew and they used to keep a Shillelagh behind the bar for those people who didn't know when to leave when they'd had enough !
Is it still there ?

I remember The Greyhound very well , back in the 60's it was run by a man named John Pope . A real gentleman , our head office was up by St Thomas Garden of Peace . I had an occasion to call into the Greyhound and after the pleasantries were over John asked me what I would like , I immediately said that a chap that was obviously down on his luck was before me , whereupon John jokingly pulled from under the counter an Indian slimming club brandishing at the chap , he served the chap who took it all in good part and sat down and then got on with my order a pint of rough and a salmon salad sandwich . I first got to speak to John in The Gough Arms just up the side street from the Greyhound , he used to drop in there on a Wednesday night his night off , he used to off down to the La Dolce Vita for a few games of roulette . His Father was reputed to have been the last brewer of cider in Birmingham , I haven't checked that out , so I don't know if it is true or not . Good pub though the mods used to use it in the 60's and then hippies etc great sandwiches too . I don't know if if it's still there.

My memory of Yates's is you were not allowed to stand at the bar once served, and that they also had a more "posh" room upstairs. The Wine was served in "docks", a few very tasty and potent Australian if I recall.

This was another favourite haunt of mine , they had a great couple of snooker tables upstairs chalk suspended from the ceiling on strings true USA fashion . My main reason for writing this post is one Saturday night during the 60's , my girlfriend , plus a mate and myself , walked out of the Windsor and straight in the back door of Yates's . There was a male member of staff standing just inside the door having a smoke break , I recognised his face but I hadn't got a clue where from , he knew my name telling me to go to the far end of the bar by the front door . We had to wait a couple of seconds then he appeared asked me what I wanted and I asked for three docks of Australian white , he placed the glasses on the counter and asked for 1/-6p or seven and halfpence in todays money . If my memory is correct I think the correct price at the time was about half a crown a dock . I've felt guilty ever since due to the fact I never tipped the barman , three drinks that should have been nearly ten bob for less that two bob .

There was also the Top 10 Bar and The Grapes Pub which i used to go to before going to Rebeccas with my mate Colin Hunt We took two girls from Wales one night and they couldn't believe it had three floors different to the clubs back in Wales we had a good night Raz

There was also the Top 10 Bar and The Grapes Pub which i used to go to before going to Rebeccas with my mate Colin Hunt We took two girls from Wales one night and they couldn't believe it had three floors different to the clubs back in Wales we had a good night Raz

Raz I remember The Grapes also , not familiar with Top 10 Bar . What years are you talking about ?

Raz I remember The Grapes also , not familiar with Top 10 Bar . What years are you talking about ?tt
Hi Williamstreeter i use to go to these pubs from 68 to 72 not so much the Top 10 Bar but manly The Grapes on a Friday night and then over to Rebeccas to dance the night away At the time I was going out with a lovely girl in 73 Jane from Shirley Solihull i bought her a nice leather handbag from Oasis , well i gave it to her in The Grapes and she was over the moon and she gave her old one to a girl in the pub and she was over the moon as well , have you still got it Jane if you read this . Good Times Raz

Last edited:
Back