• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harry lucas school

Hello. I'm new to this forum. My father was a teacher at Harry Lucas for a while in the early -mid '60's. Keith Cole. I believe he was involved in making /music the school film..."The bicycle thief" does anyone have any more information about it or him? Many Thanks Tris

Hello. I'm new to this forum. My father was a teacher at Harry Lucas for a while in the early -mid '60's. Keith Cole. I believe he was involved in making /music the school film..."The bicycle thief" does anyone have any more information about it or him? Many Thanks Tris

hi tristboy and welcome...hope some of members may remember your dad...very good chance he taught my brother so i will ask him...if you happen to have any photos of the school we would love to see them....thanks

lyn

Harry Lucas Secondary School Photographs
Hi folks, I may, unknowingly, have been acting as the Custodian of The Holy Grail for the last half century plus.
Let me first of all apologize for coming late to the party, in fact my fear is, judging by the date of the last posting, everyone has gone home. It was only a few weeks ago I felt the urge to take a trip down Memory Lane and checked the net for any Harry Lucas School listings, it was then I learned there was a desperate shortage of photographs. I knew I had one somewhere and following an intensive search I found it, the pic is attached together with a plan of the school, as I remember it (Please let me know of any serious errors and/or omissions).
I attended the school 1960-65 (same as Mike Leddy), the Headteacher was Mr. A.E.Walker and his deputy Mrs. Cadman (I can't remember her initials). The photograph shows and unusually deserted rear playground and has been expertly restored by fix-your-pix of Leeds.
The original photo, a 35mm colour transparency, was savagely mutilated, by someone wielding a hole punch, and left for dead in a wastepaper bin in the art room. I don't know why I felt compelled to rescue it (sometime in 1963) and keep it all these years but I did. Anyone who attended HLSS will know where the photographer stood, but for the record the pic was taken near to the entrance to the woodwork shop, this was close to the rear Bridge Street West entrance to the school site.
I can only estimate when the photo was taken, my best effort is sometime between 1960 and 1963, and there is no way of establishing who took it, possibly the art master at that time, Mr. Jones. What I can say for certain is, this is how the school looked when I left in July 1965.
The photographer may have chosen to shoot the back of the school rather than the front; the back was south-facing, so it was well-lit, and the box-like extensions (built to increase the school's facilities, at the time it became a secondary school?), on either side of the front elevation, were functional but were carbuncles on the school's original pleasing Victorian facade.
Does anyone know what happened to the 8mm silent movie The Bicycle Thief produced by Form G4 in 1964? It must be stored somewhere, with other school artefacts (trophies, house notice boards, etc.,) in one of the education committee's vaults. The film showed much of the school, inside and out, and if found and uploaded would be a valuable historical record of the buildings and pupils of the day; although I am not optimistic the reeled film will have escaped the ravages of time.
The school had a pre-planned short life as a senior school and I am saddened there is now no trace, or is there a commemorative plaque somewhere? (I left Birmingham some years ago.)
I was fortunate enough to be awarded a number of school prizes (which I still treasure) and I don't believe images of the award pages would be a significant contribution to archive material, however if the groundswell of opinion is the opposite I will upload them.
Thanks for your interest, Happy New Year.
Peg.

Post Script 21 Jan 2017
I have been able to date the photo positively as June 1961, I've added to photo top RH.
Peg.

Footnote 10 February 2017
School Plan Issue 2 uploaded, amendments:
1. First addition to front elevation: Description amended
2. Official address added (Burbury Street)
3. Coloured School Badges replace black and white
Regards,
Peg .
View attachment 111962 View attachment 111963
Hello my dad Keith R Cole worked at the school in '63-'65 and often talks about "The Bicycle Thief" . He remembers (which is surprising as he has Alzheimer's) that the Police visited the school around that time and borrowed the film to show it at other schools in the area.. because it was that good! It was so good the police never returned it! We still have the original accompanying music that was played during the film tho. I maybe able to share that at some point. Does anyone here remember him?

Hi tris . My name is john stone . I was at harry lucas from 61 till 65 when i was 15 and left on the summer recess to start work. I remember you dad , he was our music teacher . I remember well that one day in class i was up to no good , he cam strolling down the aisle and walked past my desk , i thought he was heading for someone else ..... all of a sudden ! I got such a crack on the back of my head ! . He clearly knew it was me . I also remember him having a beard but not sure if he was ginger and possibly carrying a few extra pounds ? , i could be sure about his weight though . The one day in class he bought a guitar and played some fantastic spanish type music , can't remember if it was flamenco style or something of a similar style . I don't recall him being there that long though . So yes. I remember mr cole very well . Perhaps you could confirm my memories of him are correct ..... best regards

Hi tris . My name is john stone . I was at harry lucas from 61 till 65 when i was 15 and left on the summer recess to start work. I remember you dad , he was our music teacher . I remember well that one day in class i was up to no good , he cam strolling down the aisle and walked past my desk , i thought he was heading for someone else ..... all of a sudden ! I got such a crack on the back of my head ! . He clearly knew it was me . I also remember him having a beard but not sure if he was ginger and possibly carrying a few extra pounds ? , i could be sure about his weight though . The one day in class he bought a guitar and played some fantastic spanish type music , can't remember if it was flamenco style or something of a similar style . I don't recall him being there that long though . So yes. I remember mr cole very well . Perhaps you could confirm my memories of him are correct ..... best regards
Yep that's him!! :) Brilliant story! Sorry about the crack on the head tho.

So are you saying he was slightly overweight ? . I remember the beard and had a notion he may and only may have been slightly ginger but I'm a bit sketchy about that . But 100% certain about the flamenco/spanish style guitar playing

As for the wack on the back of the head , it was forgotten about by the time he got back to his desk . Things were different then , i was always getting the slipper forvthe most minor of things . I would give my right arm to be there now . I guess he has long gone . Im 70 now and my memory says he was 20 years older than me

Well John, he's just turned 82 has had diabetes, tinnitus and was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 4 years ago. But he has find memories of his 2 years at Harry Lucas. Especially the film that was made... And some of the other teachers. I'm going to see him tomorrow so will tell him of our conversation. It will put a smile on his face.

thanks tristboy ive just asked a friend who was at harry lucas when your dad was and he said he cant place him..having said that i dont think my friend was into music..

all the best
lyn

Well John, he's just turned 82 has had diabetes, tinnitus and was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 4 years ago. But he has find memories of his 2 years at Harry Lucas. Especially the film that was made... And some of the other teachers. I'm going to see him tomorrow so will tell him of our conversation. It will put a smile on his face.
Well he was slightly younger than i remember , no soon as i sent my message i realised that maybe he still may be around . Glad to hear that . He will remember various teachers .. mr watson the history teacher . Mr williams the geography teacher . Mr blenkinsop the french teacher who i think married miss kerr . Mr jones the art teacher and mr walker the headmaster . Where does mr cole now live ? . I also have tinnitus for my sins

Where did he teach after harry lucas up toll his retirement . Where was he living when he taught at harry lucas ? I was always curious how far my teachers travelled

I remember Mr Cole. I was in his music class. He used to play the piano in assembly and composed the music for the school plays too. If my memory serves me well, he had a beard at some stage? His classroom was off the main hall. Mabz

I remember Mr Cole. I was in his music class. He used to play the piano in assembly and composed the music for the school plays too. If my memory serves me well, he had a beard at some stage? His classroom was off the main hall. Mabz
Correct , his classroom was off the main assembly hall , if you were looking at the stage it was to your right . And he did have a beard , something tells me it could have been ginger(ish) ?

I was in the school brass band (I was the one out of tune) and also in several musical type school plays at the time. Memories

how nice that you remember mr cole mabz and its lovely to have a photo of him on post 424 (just in case you missed it) stay safe

lyn

Back