• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Schools Football History / & photos

Hi...
I have a couple of football photos from 1969.... will down load soon.... some of the names was Barton , Exhall , Lane.....
Warren Farm Secondary School. .. happy memories !

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-07-28-14-10-42.png
    Screenshot_2020-07-28-14-10-42.png
    334.2 KB · Views: 61
Names of lads in stripes are as follows Standing left to right myself Vic Fellows,Fred Spencer,Jeff Clarke,(D) He would not wear the kit because he was a Wolves supporter!! John Aston, David Adams,Graham Kendall(D) ,Billy Lello,Dennis Hunt, Brian Williams. Seated Bob Beech, Mr, Harrison Headmaster who lived into his 100,s Alan Herbert(D) . Harvey H. Jones teacher, Norman Maybury , (1955/56) Other names in plain strip- Back row Norman Maybury, Brian Jones,John Aston,Leslie Wild, Billy Jones (D) David Adams, Ronnie Drew. Middle row- Arthur Wild, Mr.Harrison Headmaster.Jeff Clarke(D) Mr. Sandford Mickey Spencer. Seated Dennis Hopkins, Barry Holland (D) I have probably cocked it up but at least I had a go!!!
Thank you ,Billy Jones was my uncle so nice to see that photo

Here's another one, bob. This is Bordesley Green Junior School 1st Eleven 1958/59. We were averagely successful but I can't recall having won any trophies.
What I do remember is picking the ball out of the back of the net in a game against Alston Road Junior School TEN times! They were a one-man team; a massive lad with red hair - John Pennington - either made or scored nearly all of them. A year later, I had the pleasure of playing in the same team as my humiliator. He, like me, went to Bordesley Green Tech. John appears in the photo I posted above (Post #2); he's the lad with the ball between his feet. Truly a gifted player. I lost track of John when he left school in 1963, but he could very well have gone on to even greater things on a soccer pitch. David

Football_1st_Eleven_1958.JPG

PS Thanks for the adjective, Winger. I'll never pass the ball to you again !!!

My cousin Robert Fenton is sitting on the front row second from left. He still loves his football. He lives in Solihull and
follows Birmingham City. As a youngster he had his name in The Argus and he has never lived it down.

Would anybody know where my dad would have gone to school. He was born in Icknield Square in ladywood in 1914, so about 1919/1920. Thanks in advance

Here are a series of photos taken during the late 1930s of the Station Road School Football Team and Deykin Avenue School football and cricket teams. My father, Dennis Chapman (of 49 Holte Road) is back right in the Station Road photo, second left in the Deykin Avenue School 1938-40 football team photo and the boy with the bat on the right in the cricket photo. Sorry I don’t know any other names.

Attachments

• 0A775E47-641F-478B-A6CD-398F84470C78.jpeg
    0A775E47-641F-478B-A6CD-398F84470C78.jpeg
    876.3 KB · Views: 38
  • ABFF9522-0263-4CFC-9319-A6BCD75A58B3.jpeg
    ABFF9522-0263-4CFC-9319-A6BCD75A58B3.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
  • A9BBB61B-0295-445D-8886-A0AD4A09026D.jpeg
    A9BBB61B-0295-445D-8886-A0AD4A09026D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
  • 4265E578-02E6-4365-9AFA-8AFC7FDAFE04.jpeg
    4265E578-02E6-4365-9AFA-8AFC7FDAFE04.jpeg
    375.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 0B2C8526-DB77-483E-A509-2B9400EB8507.jpeg
    0B2C8526-DB77-483E-A509-2B9400EB8507.jpeg
    338.6 KB · Views: 37
My school Kings Norton Grammar won the Villa cup in I think 1968. I remember going to the ground for the match. We'd won the Birmingham City cup the season before. I think with Handsworth Grammar, we were the only Grammar school in Birmingham to play football rather than rugby. That's the reason I chose Kings Norton.
My name is Anthony pollard I was in goal for Harborne Hill in that match in 1968. I went on and represented my district team . Remember it well the pitch was thick with mud. I was lucky I got two play at villa park a couple more times with different sides . I also got to play in the docker shield at cricket for my school and edgbaston in 1967.

View attachment 75311I have started this thread, as there is no notable history on this subject.Who was in your school team. Whom won the Villa Cup and in what year? Who played in the districted school Representative sides such as B'ham Boys, Erdington Boys, South B'ham Boys, Aston and District Boys. Whom went on to become a pro footballer?

If we don't post this knowledge it will be lost forever, as there is very little or no history on line, there is some detail from the old Mail, Dispatch and Argus kept in the central library but it takes hours to research and find.

I will kick off with my mates school Queensbridge Road who had a great team in 1962 and 1963 when they won the Victoria Shield & South B'ham league 1 in 1962.
Hi this my first post. Firstly may I say RIP Bobby Summers (a member of this group) who, although did not attend our school we classed him as an honorary member. In 1963 Waverley Grammar School became the first Grammar School to win the Villa Cup. We beat Bartley Green 3-1 in the final with goals from Ken Copson, Geoff Roberts and Dave Ladbrooke. There were never any photo’s taken so in 2013 the 50 year anniversary I searched the world for the lads who were in the squad. Sadly 2 had passed away, Dave Barnet and Alec Coupland and sadly once again since the photograph has been taken Barry Ansell who went on to play twice for Aston Villa’s first team has also passed away. Out of the 11 players that were left only John Hardwick could not make the reunion. People came from South Africa, Spain, Ireland, Somerset, Bromsgrove, Bournemouth and a couple still live in Brum. We had a great day visiting Villa Park and having our photo taken with the original trophy. We also visited our two schools, upper school and lower school. Anyway here is one of the photos that we had taken. Left to right; Roger Simmonds, Keith Rowbottom, Barry Ansell, Geoff Roberts, Kenny Copson, Brian Worrall, Peter Deathridge, David Ladbrooke, Michael Ward and Terry Worton.341691DA-D1A7-4816-8E95-E28857F76DE8.jpeg341691DA-D1A7-4816-8E95-E28857F76DE8.jpeg

I was in the Washwood Heath Comprehensive school team that won the Villa cup against Whitesmore school at Villa park in the1975/76 season.
We also won the league and League cup in same season. We had a cracking team run by a Mr Mortiboys.
I was also chosen to play for the Erdington & Saltely district team, and even Captained them on a few occassions.
I played a few games for Moor Green at semi pro level after leaving school but, then started work & gave up playing for a few years as work, mates & beer got in the way.
I started playing again when some mates at Cannings started up our own sunday league team, then went on to Play for Wake Green on a saturday. I continue playing for different teams until I had a bad injury (potts Fracture) when I was early 30's.

I was in the Washwood Heath Comprehensive school team that won the Villa cup against Whitesmore school at Villa park in the1975/76 season.
We also won the league and League cup in same season. We had a cracking team run by a Mr Mortiboys.
I was also chosen to play for the Erdington & Saltely district team, and even Captained them on a few occassions.
I played a few games for Moor Green at semi pro level after leaving school but, then started work & gave up playing for a few years as work, mates & beer got in the way.
I started playing again when some mates at Cannings started up our own sunday league team, then went on to Play for Wake Green on a saturday. I continue playing for different teams until I had a bad injury (potts Fracture) when I was early 30's.
Hi Kevin..
I knew Mr Mortiboys.. loved his football. I refereed many times for his school team/s and indeed a Villa cup final at Villa Park. He always sent out strong teams from Washwood Heath school , maybe because they had 3 football pitches back of the school to train on...
Happy days and fine memories....

Hi Kevin..
I knew Mr Mortiboys.. loved his football. I refereed many times for his school team/s and indeed a Villa cup final at Villa Park. He always sent out strong teams from Washwood Heath school , maybe because they had 3 football pitches back of the school to train on...
Happy days and fine memories....
Yes we did have 3 football pitches, we also had a rugby pitch, 2 hockey pitches and a hard standing playground, It was great until we had to do our cross country runs where we had to go around the outer perimeter fence line, out onto Burney Lane, down the hill, across the river & round the park, then back across the river up towards the fox & goose into the rear gate of the school & round the outer perimeter of the fence again.

This is a picture of the Yardley wood School football team. I am hoping that the missing names may be filled in.
From top left Goalie? Michael Hood.Victor Brookes.Steven Granfield Lynton Webb. ?. Teacher Mr. Priest
Bottom Row from the left .?.. Johnny Duff.Tony Witherford. Michael Smith. Stephen Woodfield.
Would be good to hear from any one who remembers the team. around 1963 i think...

Attachments

• SCHOOL FOOTBALL TEAM 001.jpg
    SCHOOL FOOTBALL TEAM 001.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35

I've seen quite a few cups and shields on the site as well as seeing others in various trophy cabinets at sports grounds/clubhouses when I played rugby, cricket, and soccer in my younger days. I recall a massive shield at Rowheath Pavilion, Bournville (Cadburys) which went back to about 1890, but I don't know which sport it represented. I wonder if all these trophies are still around somewhere, or if some are no longer played for. I remember my school (Bournville Boys' Technical School) losing in the final of the Docker Shield (cricket) at Warwick County ground, Edgbaston. This was around 1961, and I'd like to know if the Docker Shield competition still exists ?

Thats interesting to see the list of previous winners and my old school Sheldon Heath Comp winners in 1965 and 1966. I played in both finals and was the captain in 1966 when we played at Edgbaston. The 65 final was played at the Nursery Ground next to the Main ground and I remember our captain John Chambers hitting a massive 6 out of the ground, over the high fence and the adjoining road and ending up in Cannon Hill Park.

Looks like it still does, winners here from 1886 to 2016

Hi Rob,
Thanks for that info and looking at the list, I think my old school lost in the 1962 final against Holte Grammar and not in 1961 as I thought. It's quite incredible that it's been going since 1886 because the oldest cup competition in the world i.e The FA Cup, has been going since the 1871/72 season which is only 14 years older !

Just clearing out a few things and came across some of my old sporting medals from my school days at Sheldon Heath comp and also a few from my Sunday football team. Some might have won similar ones back in the day

Attachments

• SPORTING MEDALS.pdf
    278.2 KB · Views: 34
Back