• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lucas Great Hampton Street works

K

Kandor

Earning my gold watch at Lucas's

Um...now this is going to make me look real bad (especially if you read my Ansells posting)
I remember starting at Lucas's (in Gt Hampton Row was it?)
It was the night shift and they paid 40 pounds a week then, big money in 1931! (ok, it was 1973 but what the hell)..I remember starting at I think 9 pm..I watched the sun go down, the lights in the flats come on and as the night went on, slowly all go out (I think some bugger was up 'til about 4am, bone idle pervert!) I was doing Armature rewinds, each one took
1 minute 58 seconds..then as the buggers left the machine they fell into a basket and woke me up..It was like watching paint dry..I lasted one night, but guess what?
they paid me twice...only what I deserved of course.
Les Robinson.
PS...I never got that gold watch.

My Dad (Ken Woodhouse) was chief method's engineer at Great Hampton Street. I've got his 25 year clock. Did anyone of you guys or gal's know him?

Dave

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site but it all looks very interesting.
My aunt worked at Lucas, Gt Hampton St and I have her long service award and photos of Lucas. Is there any archive that might like this sort of thing>
jilly

Hello Jilly there is a thread on J .Lucas on the forum i,m sure they have there own site as well. Dek

Jilly, Post them on "Lucas Memories" type in search, webmistress Jackie Hill will pleased to have them. Len.

I served my 5 year apprenticeship at Great Hampton Street from 1961 to 1966 and then went to South Africa in 1969 to their Girling division in Johannesburg for two years. Finished up in Rhodesia in 1971 before returning to the UK in 1986.

I started working in the jewellery trade. To get to work I would walk in to Hall St. from Gt. Hampton St. with Lucus's factory on the right hand corner. Some mornings I noticed that on the flat roof of the factory the apprentices would be out, dressed in just P T shorts and vests doing exercises. Where can you find this attitude to workers welfare now. That was in the 1960's.

I was a Lucas apprentice from 1980-84 and I can tell you it hadn't changed much even then (the training school had moved to College Rd by then). Every morning down into the large loading bay to do "5BX" Canadian Air Force exercises. Then Wednesday afternoons up to Newtown sports centre under the watchful eye of Ted Brewer. Any mucking around or arguing with each other and he would stick a pair of boxing gloves on you and make you settle it that way. We'd play crazy games like a variation of volleyball with a medicine ball (I kid you not). I think he was an ex D-Day para so took no s*** from anyone!
Sometimes in summer we would have to go over to the Alexander stadium to do track and field.
Back at the training school there was a big sports kit box that still had fencing stuff in it but that was from years before - there was no-one to teach us which was probably just as well. There were pictures on the wall of Lucas apprentices on the roof of GHS doing 5BX in the snow - I think in the 50s. They bred 'em tough in those days!

My Dad (Ken Woodhouse) was chief method's engineer at Great Hampton Street. I've got his 25 year clock. Did anyone of you guys or gal's know him?

Dave
Hi Dave I worked with a Ken Woodhouse in Great Hampton Street for about 4 years. very nice man.

I served my 5 year apprenticeship at Great Hampton Street from 1961 to 1966 and then went to South Africa in 1969 to their Girling division in Johannesburg for two years. Finished up in Rhodesia in 1971 before returning to the UK in 1986.
I too was an apprentice at he same time at the Engineering School in GHS during that time! Stayed an employee until 2001 in various positions and locations from GKS Central Toolroom to Sales and Marketing. GKS to Cranmore Boulevard to Advanced Engineering Centre Shirley to Holford Drive to Ystradgynlais when we took over Smiths Instrumentation, taken over by TRW back in 1995. Various roles mainly in Sales and Marketing.

Back