• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Applejacks

I was a spotty first year at Tudor Grange Grammar School, and Don Gould was our form prefect. After their first appearance on Top of the Pops, he was in school the next day taking our class register. We swamped him with autograph requests.

I went to Lyndon High School for boys. Phil Cash was in the year above me. He was there when "Tell me when" hit the charts.
The school allowed him to have the afternoon off to go to London to appear om Ready Steady Go.
Because of the chart success he decided to leave school before the end of term and pursue his career in the band.
On the day he left he came round to say goodbye to all his old teachers, and i remember him coming in to the class I was in.
Very jealous of the "gear" he was wearing, especially his Cuban healed shoes.
When he left the school he was mobbed in Daylesford Rd by the girls leaving the girls school.
I wonder if he regretted leaving school before taking his leaving exams, it turned out to be a rather short career in the limelight.
Wat happened to him and where is he now.

I went to Lyndon High School for boys. Phil Cash was in the year above me. He was there when "Tell me when" hit the charts.
The school allowed him to have the afternoon off to go to London to appear om Ready Steady Go.
Because of the chart success he decided to leave school before the end of term and pursue his career in the band.
On the day he left he came round to say goodbye to all his old teachers, and i remember him coming in to the class I was in.
Very jealous of the "gear" he was wearing, especially his Cuban healed shoes.
When he left the school he was mobbed in Daylesford Rd by the girls leaving the girls school.
I wonder if he regretted leaving school before taking his leaving exams, it turned out to be a rather short career in the limelight.
Wat happened to him and where is he now.
I remember the pictures in the Solihull News of that day - might have seen them on Facebook a few months back.

I know Gerry very well. Last saw him was around three years ago at the National Drum Show, which is an annual event held in Birmingham. When I left the Midland All Stars Big Band, my last regular 'gig', in 1979, Gerry took over from me. I used to dash back from anywhere, to make the gigs, but it became too much in the end, and I had then decided on other percussion ventures. Gerry was looking good the last time I saw him. Eddie
The above quote from Norfolk Brummie was made on 28th January 2015. It refers to Gerry Freeman, drummer in the Applejacks, being seen around 2012 at the National Drum Show in Birmingham.

I remember the pictures in the Solihull News of that day - might have seen them on Facebook a few months back.
Phil is a cousin of mine. He had a business locally and has recently retired. The group gave a concert in Solihull before the ‘alterations’ in the town centre.

Al Jackson worked for the Prudential, eventually becoming a trainer. I also worked for the Pru and attended one of his courses at the Pru's regional office opposite St Phillips Cathedral in the early eighties. He was a great trainer and quite a character. I also worked with Gerry Freeman's brother Colin at the Pru's Solihull office during the late 80's early 90's.
I also worked at the Pru and remember Al as a trainer there

Last edited by a moderator:
Phil is a cousin of mine. He had a business locally and has recently retired. The group gave a concert in Solihull before the ‘alterations’ in the town centre.
Hi, my name is Andrew Cash - I am trying to find out if Phil Cash is a relative. My oldest brother recently recalled that when "Tell Me When" was a hit and was on the radio, my Brummie dad Norman Cash remarked that Phil was a relative. I tried contacting Phil's mower service business this week but the number came back as not connected. Is there any way we can make contact with Phil so that we can resolve this? Or perhaps you can provide the info ......we understand his father was Peter and his mother was Gladys, but have not been able to track back to the previous generation to see if there is the link between us.

Last edited:
Hi Andrew, welcome to Birmingaham History Forum. Thank you too for post. We strongly advise members not to post their personal email addresses on the thread. Your email address and data could be harvested and used for scams, fraud, and identity theft. If you wish other members to contact you, then its best if you advise them to use the “Start Conversation” facility we provide. This then protects you and your privacy.

I am sure the members will be happy to help you.

Hi, my name is Andrew Cash - I am trying to find out if Phil Cash is a relative. My oldest brother recently recalled that when "Tell Me When" was a hit and was on the radio, my Brummie dad Norman Cash remarked that Phil was a relative. I tried contacting Phil's mower service business this week but the number came back as not connected. Is there any way we can make contact with Phil so that we can resolve this? Or perhaps you can provide the info ......we understand his father was Peter and his mother was Gladys, but have not been able to track back to the previous generation to see if there is the link between us. email=cashfamilyhobart@gmail. many thanks
Hi Andrew,
I am related through Gladys but some years ago Peter’s father’s former address was Soho Road, Handsworth, Birmingham.
Hope this is of some use.
Batmadviv

Back