• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

CHRISTMAS 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to Bethlehem. yesterday.:grinning:
View attachment 151024

Bethlehem, Carmarthenshire
Bethlehem is a tiny farming village in the county of Carmarthenshire,
Socially distanced festivities

An unexpected twist to our Christmas 2020. Having done all the shopping for our ‘allowed’ family get together on the big day, we’ve now been plunged into Tier 4. So no visitors, a farm load of spuds, parsnips, carrots and sprouts and just two of us to graze our way through them. So today I’ve tackled the subject of parsnips. Made a massive pot of parsnip soup - not your run of the mill parsnip soup - but a very tasty, spicy, creamy and garlicky soup. Absolutely delicious with some crusty bread. Plenty left over to freeze too.

Went to the butchers fully intending to cancel either the turkey or the beef order, but we felt sorry for them and came out with the same order but specially cut by them for different meals and occasions. So we have some lovely pieces for meals further down the line. Some will be frozen as it’s all fresh meat.

We might even recreate Christmas Day when the heat is off, when we’re out of tiers (tears ?!), my son can come back into the country, we can share the fun with our granddaughter and we can celebrate having got through this. In fact I’ve decided we shall celebrate the smallest of reasons and be truly grateful we have each other. Looking forward to better times and eating up some of our delicious festive supplies together.

Viv.
I know the feeling Viv, got a turkey that serves 14-18 people, a piece of pork for 10 and a piece of sirloin for 10, we are now down to 4 for Christmas. On top of that our online delivery for fresh veg inform us tonight, no parsnips, no onions, no potatoes and no no cauliflower.

I would like to take this opportunity before the week totally wipes me out, to wish everybody Yuletide Felicitations, Buon Natale and Joyeux Noel.
I have enjoyed finding this Forum recently, and in such strange times it has proved a welcome companion.
Merry Christmas to all, and stay safe.

Glad you’re enjoying being here Chris. Looks like your Christmas meal will be meat starter, mains - more meat, with a side of meat and a meat pudding. Good luck with the veggie hunt !

Keep posting.

And a happy Christmas to you and the family.

Viv.

Deliveries all over Europe have gone to pot this Year. We're in Greece and Jan ordered a duck for Christmas, but it very much looks as though it is not going to arrive., and this was from a local butcher.

Maurice :cool:

Mike,

I would much prefer to see them swimming in a river or lake, but a whole duck will keep her in dinners for quite a few days. Well on 12 February it becomes the year of the snake, according to Wiki, and duck does not seem to feature in their menagerie. :)

Maurice :cool:

Nico, did you sing Hark the Harold angels sing too, and shepherds washed their socks by night!!
There were some carol singers out on Saturday, they tried to sing Once in Royal David's city to the tune of Away in a manger!!
rosie.
No we never sand Harold. We did sing socks. Nan told me it was blasphemous yet not wen her and grandad sang Oh come all ye faithful let's have a blummin big plate full. And Why are we waitin' and Oc come lets kick the door in, that was different!

I met up with my mate today who I meet for coffee with, we exchange gift bags in the street and stood chatting, he leaned on my wheelie bin. I had been stood standing in the butcher's queues a three quarters of an hour I was 16th, they are such a pleasant cheery bunch. We have to stand 2 sheep apart.

When I was at work we had a nasty bag a washin, well there were a lot, but this one thought she was a boss. Her surname rhymes with lolly. So we sang Deck The halls with boughs of holly falalalalalalala. Lets get drubk and thump (her name) fa lalalalalalala. To We will rock you a few hard kids used to sing that line with menace waving their fists and with air guitars and get chucked out of the class.

I would like to take this opportunity before the week totally wipes me out, to wish everybody Yuletide Felicitations, Buon Natale and Joyeux Noel.
I have enjoyed finding this Forum recently, and in such strange times it has proved a welcome companion.
Merry Christmas to all, and stay safe.
Merci. Nollaig

Now planning for family Christmas in April. Took us all a while to accept we’re in Tier 4 and can’t meet up, but needs must. Next best thing is going to be a family Christmas at Easter-time for us. Not sure yet what form it will take ........but ideas on a postcard .......

Now let’s see we’ll need ......

Viv

We are planning for a Easter family reunion too. Ordered a large turkey crown but going to freeze it. Planned to visit our eldest son in London until the travel ban and news that our Daughter In Law has just tested positive- our son now has symptoms and is waiting for his result. Thankfully they dont feel too bad at the moment but it is still a worry. So far this week our neighbour has recovered and our friend down the road is self isolating as her mother tested positive as she was about to be discharged from hospital.!!!!

Lock your doors and keep safe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back