• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old style food still going strong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh dear, just realised we’re drifting off topic. Sorry folks, I’m as much to blame. Got cabin fever. But an interesting diversion. Let’s get back to the shops we’ve loved and lost.

Viv. Edit, this thread now set up from posts originally in the “Shops long gone” thread.

Last edited:
Talking of pies, in Glasgow the classic pie there is the mutton pie. Served with a topping of Baked beans and chips it’s a super meal.
Sorry Mort, cannot agree- at least not with regard to the one I once had in St Andrews, which was vile (though. I suppose it might not have been a good example)

There are quite a a few dishes that youngsters won’t eat today, things that we’d regularly eat in the past. We still have meals like liver, bacon & onions and butcher’s faggots, peas and mash. I suppose they’re an acquired taste. On a cold winter’s day, you can’t beat these dishes.

Viv.

There are quite a a few dishes that youngsters won’t eat today, things that we’d regularly eat in the past. We still have meals like liver, bacon & onions and butcher’s faggots, peas and mash. I suppose they’re an acquired taste. On a cold winter’s day, you can’t beat these dishes.

Viv.
What about tripe and onions ?

Not for me thanks. My mum would happily dig into a plate of tripe, but I just couldn’t bring myself to. Think it’s as much to do with the look of it as anything else. Doubt many people have this today.

One thing I always loved was soft roes on toast, with lots of pepper. Again, not an attractive dish, but I really enjoyed them. Haven’t had them for a long time as I’m the only one in the family who likes them. They don’t know what they’re missing.

Can’t say I’ve seen soft roes on a menu, well not in recent times. Viv.

Not for me thanks. My mum would happily dig into a plate of tripe, but I just couldn’t bring myself to. Think it’s as much to do with the look of it as anything else. Doubt many people have this today.

One thing I always loved was soft roes on toast, with lots of pepper. Again, not an attractive dish, but I really enjoyed them. Haven’t had them for a long time as I’m the only one in the family who likes them. They don’t know what they’re missing.

I still enjoy tripe and onions and also tinned soft roes on toast!

Viv
Agree about the liver & onions (as long as it wasn't ox liver, which so horribly remember at school. Same with GOOD faggots. NOT tripe & onions t
I seem to remember you used to be able to get tinned roes. Don't think I've seen those though for many years

Viv.
Viv, part of the "acquired" taste was because in the past those meals were relatively inexpensive.

Viv
Agree about the liver & onions (as long as it wasn't ox liver, which so horribly remember at school. Same with GOOD faggots. NOT tripe & onions t
I seem to remember you used to be able to get tinned roes. Don't think I've seen those though for many years
You can still get tinned roe, but the tins are much smaller.

Hi Vivienne,
Mmm soft roes on toast, yumm.... but I am with you I have never eaten tripe :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back