• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Duggan family. Garrison lane Birmingham

lisa so far the closest death record i can find for nellie duggan is died bromsgrove 1941 but it puts her date of birth as 1916 not 1914 as she states on the1939 register and in your first post you say nellie was born in 1918 so we have conflicting dates of birth here
Sorry my fault Nellie was born in 1914 18th April

Lisa, this looks like your Nellie...
Lynn.

Attachments

• IMG_7035.jpg
    IMG_7035.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Lisa, this looks like your Nellie...
Lynn.

good find lynn...so now we know that nellie died as a result of enemy action in 1940 i did wonder if that was the case....at least lisa can now get nellies death cert if she want which will reveal more information..the problem i am having is that on the 1935 electoral rolls nellie and john duggan are living with edward and hannah tovey so was hannah formally a duggan...bit confusing at the min

sadly with no fathers name on his birth cert finding out who ronald duggans dad was is i fear nearly impossible and as very often happens may remain a family mystery

lyn

Last edited:
good find lynn...so now we know that nellie died as a result of enemy action in 1940 i did wonder if that was the case....at least lisa can now get nellies death cert if she want which will reveal more information..the problem i am having is that on the 1935 electoral rolls nellie and john duggan are living with edward and hannah tovey so was hannah formally a duggan...bit confusing at the min

sadly with no fathers name on his birth cert finding out who ronald duggans dad was is i fear nearly impossible and as very often happens may remain a family mystery

lyn
I guess the next step would be a DNA test to get a closer match. ..this is part of what my niece found.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201214-065216_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201214-065216_Gallery.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 13
Hannah was maiden name Allport. She married Edward duggan and he died. She then married Edward Tovey

thanks that clears that one up nicely for me..this may just be coinsidence but i have just looked at my list of civilians who died in birmingham during the bombings of ww2 and whos names are on the tree of life memorial in birmingham city centre...although nellie duggans name is not there there is a hannah tovey aged 60 on the memorial so the age would be correct for your hannah tovey.....and dont forget that edward duggans ww1 service records are on ancestry should you wish to view them..all the best with your search

lyn

Last edited:
thanks that clears that one up nicely for me..this may just be coinsidence but i have just looked at my list of civilians who died in birmingham during the bombings of ww2 and whos names are on the tree of life memorial in birmingham city centre...although nellie duggans name is not there there is a hannah tovey aged 60 on the memorial so the age would be correct for your hannah tovey.....and dont forget that edward duggans ww1 service records are on ancestry should you wish to view them..all the best with your search

lyn
I think this is where she died. I remember being told that my dad crawled from out the rumble after it was bombed but his mom died..we never knew if the facts were right ...I honestly cant thank you all enough. What a great bunch you all are x have a lovely xmas and a better new year all of you x

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201214-091703_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20201214-091703_Samsung Internet.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 12

lyn
I've been told about the memorial I need to go and see it .x

lyn

more digging. This is where Nellie ended up. Your have to excuse me I'm just so excited at finding out about my nan.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201214-103645_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20201214-103645_Google.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 10
hi lisa happy to help i have just looked again at the list of names on the memorial in my book and yes nellie duggans name IS also there it was added to the list at a later date...i have 2 rellies on the memorial and have taken photos of their names..at least you now know that the facts you were given are correct...have a great christmas and will you keep us informed about any developements regarding finding out who your dads dad was

lyn

Last edited:
hi lisa happy to help i have just looked again at the list of names on the memorial in my book and yes nellie duggans name IS also there it was added to the list at a later date...i have 2 rellies on the memorial and have taken photos of their names..at least you now know that the facts you were given are correct...have a great christmas and will you keep us informed about any developements regarding finding out who your dads dad was

lyn
Yes I certainly will. U have been very helpful ..from me and my family. Thank you x

and just to finish lisa i have been looking at your grandad edward duggans ww1 service records which makes very interesting reading...you may already know this but if not he died on 23rd march 1919 from influenza and pheumonia at little bromwich hospital..

lyn

and just to finish lisa i have been looking at your grandad edward duggans ww1 service records which makes very interesting reading...you may already know this but if not he died on 23rd march 1919 from influenza and pheumonia at little bromwich hospital..

lyn
No I didn't know this. 23rd March is my youngest sisters birthday. X

more digging. This is where Nellie ended up. Your have to excuse me I'm just so excited at finding out about my nan.

So pleased we could help you Lisa, like Lyn said if you find out any more please let us know. I lived in gordon Street, off Garrison Lane when I was young and the maisonettes were built on the site where houses had been bombed. I never realised until quite lately how badly that area had been affected.
All the best, Lynn.

So pleased we could help you Lisa, like Lyn said if you find out any more please let us know. I lived in gordon Street, off Garrison Lane when I was young and the maisonettes were built on the site where houses had been bombed. I never realised until quite lately how badly that area had been affected.
All the best, Lynn.

My dad Ronnie duggan (Nellie's son) was put into card and fostered aged 6 ..somewhere over brownhills way. In the fifties my dad was called up and did his training in Carrick ..my niece who started this search 2 years ago has just informed me that her husband also trained in Carrick..funny how history can repeat itself.

lisa it must have been very traumatic for a young lad of just 6 to be involved in the bombings and to most likely witness his mom being taken to hospital never to come home awful as war was

lyn

lisa it must have been very traumatic for a young lad of just 6 to be involved in the bombings and to most likely witness his mom being taken to hospital never to come home awful as war was

lyn
Yes very traumatic, very sad. His cousin informed me that my dad had a very hard life..As an adult he developed MS in his early forties then cancer and died aged just 52 ..I wonder sometimes if the shock bought on the MS ..I always remember my mom saying nellie adored my dad but after her mom died she had no support and so put him into care..then she ended up in Barnsley hall hospital and died aged just 25..its a very sad story.

Back