• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brougham Street, Lozells

Hi Bob, Sorry I missed this, I haven't been here so often these days. Pat, Jean and Bernadette are my cousins, they lived at number 6, next door to us at number 5. Their Mum Eileen died, as you say, in 1956 when I was 4. In fact all the houses bar one in Alexandra terrace were occupied by my family. Sheila, another cousin, and her family lived at number her 4 and her Mum (my aunt) Francess lived at number 3. I've lived in weston-super-Mare since 1968, when I left school, and have a grown up family here. In fact Bernadette and Sheila are coming down to visit us this coming Easter week. Pat lives in Warwickshire now and Jean lives in Poole. Small world aint it?
Hi Dave nice to hear from you, say hello to Bernadette for me at Easter.
BOB1 (Bob Plant)

Hiya Keith, Yes I've been retired 5 years now, since I was 62.Loving every minute of it; every day's Saturday now mate. How a out you?

Hello Dave,

I read with interest your post re: Alexandra Terrace in Brougham Street, I'm not sure of the number but, my Grandmother used to live there (Family name Inman). I have a photo of her and my Grandfather outside the house when they were just married in 1918 at the end of WW1.

PS
All I recall of Alexandra Terrace (if memory serves) was what seemed to be an endless amount of steps to reach the houses at the top lol.

Lozellian.

hi lozellian would love to see that photo of your nan and grandad if possible

thank you

lyn

Hi Astoness,

Hope you're feeling better, the photo I spoke of is currently with my cousin who's having it restored & enlarged for his mom's birthday. It's seen better days but, I'm hoping fortune / good luck will prevail and it will survive. If I can when I get it back I'll try & upload it.

Lozellian.

thanks lozellian i am getting stronger daily but its a bit of a slow job...having said that i dont have a train to catch :)good luck with the photo look forward to seeing it if possible..of course taken long before my days in neighbouring villa st but any photos of the old end are of great interest to me

thanks again

lyn

we lived above the post office on the corner of Villa St and Nursery Road. The greengrocer's name was Hopwood, the post mistress was Mrs Reeves and the woodyard was Singleton and Son. I went out with a guy who lived on brougham st, but ended up living in sutton coldfield before emigrating to Canada in 1968. We live in the kawarthas now, on the river trent.anyone remember us,1948 till about 1962? Dad was a teacher.

Thanks for the pm Lyn. Thinking about it I'll mention a few names here, I'm sure they won't mind.

I don't remember the names you mention.

We used to hang out a lot in Villa Street. The meeting place was outside the cafe on the corner with Nursery Road, directly opposite was "The Crown" on one corner and there was a Greengrocer on the other corner. I have strong visual memory of many kids from Villa Street but I can't remember their names. My biggest mate was Colin Beech, Colin was one of the youngest of a big family of "The Beechs'" who had a fierce reputation of being a "bit hard". Actually I believe this was a myth and they were all pussy cats really ! I've got a tape recording from the 60s of the Beech kids at play which I recently transferred to CD. Colin, if you're out there mate, drop me a line for copy !

I remember the Vine very well. Our biggest and most profitable pass time was taking bottles back for the "thrupence on the bottle". I remember the bar maid in the Vine was the most tolerant in accepting bootles that didn't necessarily originate from there. Most other pubs would tell us to "b*gger off" !

Getting back to Brougham Street. I was mates withe the Beale Brothers, Andy and Timmy. Andy was the older Brother and Timmy was (and still is I hope)the same age as me. When Timmy and me got together we were known as "The Kids from Hell!". Some of the things we got to ! Well! One thing is sure I won't relate them here !!!!

Andy and Tim lived at number 60 Brougham Street, their back garden I remember backed up with the back garden of the Vine in Villa Street.

I had a pm as well Lyn, from Kieth Acton who mentioned that you recently had a walk-about in "the old end". Actually, last year we drove up from Weston-super-Mare, were I've lived now for the past 40 years, to do just that. Of course there's not much to see of either Brougham Street of Villa Street now, it's all been replaced for the most part by a small park. Actually I thought it was kind of nice with trees and squirrels running about (the squirrels, not the trees!). Certainly it's a lot better than "the wilderness of Urban destruction" we seen in the 60s! Maybe we could get together and put up a plaque in rememberance of the old streets?

In fact, only two original buliding survive now in Brougham Street. There's St francis' School at one end, and at the other end is number 1 on the corner with Will Street, opposite what was Hurlstons Shop (see ealier pic) on the other corner. In fact number one is empty and dilapidated now and I'm sure that, if it's not pulled down, it will probably fall down of its own accord !

I remember the Angel up as well at the top of Villa Street, on the corner with Wills Street and George Street (do you remember "Wee ways" sweet shop in George Street?). The Angel is actually still there, but now converted to a private house. I took a camera with me, although, as it's private, I thought it best not to take a photograph. I did take one through of "The Waterloo" further up in Wills street. It's now derelect and abandoned after a fire in the 90s I understand.

More later...

Dave
As a footnote, we went back to nursery road. To my horror the whole area had been razed, and a school was built on the site! it doesn't always pay to go back....spoils the memories a bit.

hi lozellian would love to see that photo of your nan and grandad if possible

thank you

lyn

Hello again Astoness,

I've checked their address online via ancestry.co.uk and they lived at No 3 Alexandra Place, Brougham Street. Might be of some interest to Dave Inston?

Lozellian.

I remember the shop on the corner of brougham st and Wills st. And my dad used to drink in the angel. And that a friends dad that also lived in Albert cottages used to go and get a jug of aile every Sunday afternoon. Also my oldest brother got his first home in the block of flats ( saddlers house) the one that you can see on the photo when he first got married
To his girlfriend who's family lived in burbury st.
Plus one year me and my sister went to a Christmas party at H samules. We must of only been around 5 or 6.
Small world! My dad used to drink @ the Angel and I used to go to that shop on the way to school, St Francis

I went to the same Catholic School at the bottom of Brougham Street from 1957 when I was 5. It was St.Francis school and is one of the only two remaining buildings from the original Street to this day. Yes, we were taught by nuns and some of them were very strict, but there again I have fond memories of some of them. Sister Collette I remember was a very nice lady, Holy as anything! I believe I have a pic of her somewhere. The head Priest at the time was Father Emery. I remember he used to pick us up and give us an aerial somersault, very exciting ! I recall though that he always stunk of fags and booze !

Looking back at one episode that is quite funny now but rather traumatic for kid at the time, I remember that I was caught by one of the nuns picking my nose in class! I got the strap in front of the class and then had to spend the rest of the lesson crawling on my hands and kness searching for the offending Bogey ! Ah ! Those were the days !!

Jeez! The mental trauma was so bad I still can't do my times tables to this day !!!

St Francis school backed onto the convent which lead through into Hunters Road that ran parallel to Brougham street. In Hunters Road was also St Francis' church (see pic).

A little up the street from St Francis School was what I believed was St Marys School. It was a bit of a mystery to us kids because it appeared empty and was isolated from the street by a formidable wall and a heavy wooden gate. The wall, even for kids, was unclimbable and and the place remained a mystery to us.

In about 1960 we all moved up to "juniors" around the corner in Wills street ( I believe now this was part of the former St Marys) and was known as "the annex". The only thing I remember about this place is that the school prefects were thugs and bullies. Any misbaviour was punished by being told to stand outside the Headmasters office. Of course we were made to wait there regardless of misbehaviour or not. When the Headmaster returned from his lunch he would automatically, and without question or excuse, cane everyone in the line !!

Ah ! Fond memories !

In later years my Mum and Dad took me out of the Catholic school system and I went to Harry Lucas School in Farm Street. I loved that school. The Headmaster, Mr Walker, was a reeeeeeally nice guy. And guess what? I never had the cane once at that school !
Sister Collette was my first teacher at St Francis and Father Emery was Canonised while i was there, I also went to the Annex until they closed it down then moved into the new classrooms they had built onto the school extension of st Francis. My memories of the annex are the frozen bottles of milk around the back of the school. When i was in my teens i returned to the old annex to work stripping cars as it became a scrap yard.

hi tryrone...did you live in brougham st and dave if you are looking in could you post that photo you have of sister collette please

cheers

lyn

hi tryrone...did you live in brougham st and dave if you are looking in could you post that photo you have of sister collette please

cheers

lyn
Hi Lyn,
No we lived in Burbury st. I did go to the annex on wills st while they where extending St Francis and knocking down the old wooden classrooms.

I had 2 spells in Brougham st one was in 1950s for a few months, the other was with
My wife in the 70s. It was my grans house. I remember my granddad built a bathroom down stairs, clever man. I had some happy memories of there, my Nan lived around the corner in Farm st.

i wonder if anyone who is good at the britain from above site could sort out a shot of brougham street please...many thanks

lyn

This is directly from my browser but a better image *may* be possible from someone with an account. This image is EAW013575 and Brougham St is in the upper right quadrant. I tried Google Earth 1945AD but very poor photo.EAW013575.jpg

we lived above the post office on the corner of Villa St and Nursery Road. The greengrocer's name was Hopwood, the post mistress was Mrs Reeves and the woodyard was Singleton and Son. I went out with a guy who lived on brougham st, but ended up living in sutton coldfield before emigrating to Canada in 1968. We live in the kawarthas now, on the river trent.anyone remember us,1948 till about 1962? Dad was a teacher.
Pat,I believe I am that guy!Served in the army 1960-64,now living in S.Wales.Remember everything as if it was yesterday!

hi oscarvon and welcome to the forum....what years did you live in brougham st and can you recall the number of the house...i have a friend who lived at no 20 and i lived in villa st 58 to 72...happy days...if you have any photos of the street we would love to see them...thanks

lyn

hi oscarvon and welcome to the forum....what years did you live in brougham st and can you recall the number of the house...i have a friend who lived at no 20 and i lived in villa st 58 to 72...happy days...if you have any photos of the street we would love to see them...thanks

lyn
Hi Lyn, lived in brougham st 1941/64 with 4 year break in Germany.nos.6,4,and 2.I lived with my mother at no6 which was my grandparents house during the war and beyond till 47 when we moved to no4,my aunts,until she moved to wales.We moved to no2 in 53.Right next door to the corner shop,Hurlstones.My grandfather was on air raid duties when St Francis was bombed and he was thrown half way up the st.Not really hurt but his clothes caught fire and he jumped in a water butt up the st.The family always had laugh over this.Grandfather was Bill noake and he worked for the corporation as a driver.Told me about pulling the casualties from the bombed air raid shelter at the top of barker st after a raid,most had rushed there from the Villa X cinema for safety.He had many tales to tell regarding that period.I knew quite a few people in Brougham st,the Foxes next to the glass factory,the beales,the butlers a girl friend of mine at no3....Many others in Wills st ajoinig brougham st,and of course your st,Villa.Knew the beeches,went to school with a few of them!Sidney Lawler.Dave Griffin,Connie Fewtrell.
The pubs yes..Villa Tavern,the vine and right down the bottom the Crown.Cafe on the corner,green grocers opposite.post office in Nursery rd...Memories,sweet memories! Sorry though Lyn have no pics of either st I'm afraid.

Kind regards

John

hello john and thanks for your lovely post...the bombing of the air raid shelter was awful...so many lives lost..we lived almost opposite the vine pub and there is a photo of it on the forum..i have also posted photos of nursery road including the 4 corners with villa st which shows the post office the cafe the fruit and veg shop and the crown pub...just put what you are looking for into the search box if you cant find them let me know..i managed to locate a few people from the old end a couple of years back and we held a reunion..colin..martin and roy beech were there...some of the moorhouses from villa st and others...hope you have seen the brougham st photos i posted on this thread i think one of them shows the bulters house..oh do you recall a lovely lady called rosie leeder from brougham st...here is a photo i have not posted before of mr hurlston outside his shop..i am sure you will remember it..no idea who the children are

lyn

Hurlstons shop wills st corn wills and brougham st.jpg

hello john and thanks for your lovely post...the bombing of the air raid shelter was awful...so many lives lost..we lived almost opposite the vine pub and there is a photo of it on the forum..i have also posted photos of nursery road including the 4 corners with villa st which shows the post office the cafe the fruit and veg shop and the crown pub...just put what you are looking for into the search box if you cant find them let me know..i managed to locate a few people from the old end a couple of years back and we held a reunion..colin..martin and roy beech were there...some of the moorhouses from villa st and others...hope you have seen the brougham st photos i posted on this thread i think one of them shows the bulters house..oh do you recall a lovely lady called rosie leeder from brougham st...here is a photo i have not posted before of mr hurlston outside his shop..i am sure you will remember it..no idea who the children are

lyn

View attachment 149661
lyn Thanks for your reply,seen the pics of brougham st,I lived opposite no1top left in pic 1.Yes,I know Rose leeder quite well,she lived in the house no58 I believe,last picture extreme left.Last I know of her she lived in Carpenters rd circa 1997.Went to school with Teddy Beech@Gower st.Loved the pic of Hurlstones shop.Yes! thats him but I do not know the 2 little girls.Bit of a disaster lyn cannot seem to get pics you mentioned of the 4 corners,tried search box.As a postscript re bombing..no4.After that heavy raid on the convent one of the upstair bedroom doors was jammed shut,every one thought a body had been flung against it...After a while some men managed to force it open..the floor boards had rose up..every one breathed a sigh of relief! But from that day on all the window frames at the front of the house were warped and tilted even after so called war repairs by the council,and remained so until demolition!

Kind regards

John

thanks for that extra info re the bombings john...it is most interesting...think rosie lived at no 72 and i am in touch with her she has just turned 86....the friend i mentioned who lived at no 20 was the bullivant family just wondered if you recall them?

john i am going to send you a private message asking you for your email address if you are happy to do that i am happy to email you all of my collection of old nursery road photos a lot of which are not on the forum..think there are about 28

lyn

thanks for that extra info re the bombings john...it is most interesting...think rosie lived at no 72 and i am in touch with her she has just turned 86....the friend i mentioned who lived at no 20 was the bullivant family just wondered if you recall them?

john i am going to send you a private message asking you for your email address if you are happy to do that i am happy to email you all of my collection of old nursery road photos a lot of which are not on the forum..think there are about 28

lyn
Lyn,I do know your friend,Ilene is it?also had a younger brother?Was quite friendly with my mother.Thank you would be delighted to see the photos of Nursery rd.Knew Roy
Bandage who lived in the shop(hardware)I believe on the corner of church st.

John

lyn

View attachment 149661
Does anyone remember what 'Bev', on the window, was.

bob

Back